C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Winter tyres

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Mon Mar 03 2014, 11:27pm
Member No: #1163
My front tyres were wearing very close to the wear gauges so I decided to experiment and give some of the winter variety a go. Not that we're expecting snow and such, down here in the southern coastal area, but it is quite damp.....!

I did a considerable degree of research into what members here have tried, and I also carried out a series of a Google searches for information about winter tyres.

My first thoughts were, not unnaturally, to give serious consideration to Michelin's Primacy Alpin, but I've read that they're not particularly good at suppressing road noise; and the consensus is that they seem to perish alarmingly early!

Next consideration was originally the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx as a few contributors on tyrereviews.co.uk seemed to be impressed. Then I read some on and, the deeper I got into the reviews the more I started to observe some strongly negative comments, mainly regarding wet grip, road noise and poor longevity.

Vredestein's Wintrac 4 Extreme looked to be about the best-rated but I couldn't locate any (part-worn on eBay -- remember that this is a winter experiment).

I plumped, in the end, for the Pirelli Sottozero (sub- or below-zero) from two different sellers. Each tyre was listed as having around 5mm left (so 3mm gone) with no repairs and no damage. All four worked out at two hundred quid, delivered. At that money, for four reasonable part-worns, I don't mind experimenting! The only way I managed to find four of the same was to take run-flats. These have quite thick walls so can be a bit of a harsh ride.

I had them fitted & balanced this afternoon; I'll report back as & when I get a chance to properly evaluate the pros & cons!
C6Dave   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 08:17am

Member No: #1
e3steve wrote ...

My first thoughts were, not unnaturally, to give serious consideration to Michelin's Primacy Alpin, but I've read that they're not particularly good at suppressing road noise; and the consensus is that they seem to perish alarmingly early!

This is my 3rd winter on a set of Alpin and there wearing very well. Contrary to what you have read elsewhere they are not noisy, but they still have 7mm of tread left and it may be as they get worn the noise will increase.

But at 5x the cost new, of what you have sourced they are an expensive option.

Once temperatures go above 7c consistently they will be coming back off, probably mid to end of March.

They are good in the cold and wet but, like any other tyre, won't help on black ice, believe me I have been there.
Website
gmerry   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 08:41am
Member No: #21
Hi Steve, I got 4 winters worth (November to end April) out of a set of Avon Ice Tourings (ST V rated non runflat in 17" 225/55) . They have superb comfort, just as quiet as any summer tyre and pretty impressive grip in the snow. In the end I replaced them with another set of the same, this was forced by getting a a large spike in one and with the steel rims needing a paint job - caused by all that grit and salt.

Regards
G
BruceB   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 12:11pm
Member No: #234
Vredestein's Wintrac 4 Extreme[/quote1393934954]Whenever I see the name Vredestein, I have to add (sub-consciously) 'and Ginger Rogers'.
e3steve   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:35pm
@Dave: There were some Alpins on eBay and at a reasonable price. I did give them some thought but they were less worn and, therefore, a hundred quid each so I skated around those. My tyre man -- a very professional and knowledgeable guy -- reckons Michelins are "the only way to go" but, for which, we pay a premium. You gets wot you pays for.....

@Gordon: Interesting info; TBH I didn't give Avons a single thought.

@Bruce: You need professional help....

The roads were pretty dry today, here in south Hants, so I attacked a couple of roundabouts and bends with, errrr, a degree of spirit; quite impressive grip, even at 7º. But they are pretty hard! TyreMan suggested that if the ride is a bit too harsh then I should try dropping the pressure to 2.2bar all round, but no lower. We'll see.

MoT on Friday; let's see if the tester spots that they're run-flats.
gmerry   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:44pm
Hi Steve, Camskil sell the Avon Ice Tourings for £125 each including VAT - Click Here -

Amazing value given how long they last. Night and Day difference in the snow compared to summer tyres.
e3steve   
Tue Mar 04 2014, 09:33pm
That's an amazing price, although it is for 17s; I'm anticipating having my wheels re-shod at each swap out, at the moment.

What's the accepted protocol for winter tyre-ing? 50 or 55 x 17"?
gmerry   
Wed Mar 05 2014, 09:08am
Steve, homologated tyre size is 225/55R17, same as spare tyre.

In fact my summer spare tyre is the 4th winter tyre so I only need 3 extra wheels.

Regards
G
e3steve   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 03:56pm
Ten degrees today.

Sottozeros are still grippy. I took a trip to Stansted Airport -- 230 mile round trip. Found the tyres pretty noisy at motorway speeds; quite harsh, too, for ride comfort.

Can't wait, now, for Spring proper, so that I can get my "old" C6 back! :-/

I might try P-Zeros for the rest of the year. Anyone had any experience on a C6?
jacktherev   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 08:16pm
Member No: #1423
I have all Michelin on mine and never had any throuble.
Rettopian   
Thu Mar 13 2014, 08:37am
Member No: #1195
Same here. Got about 20,000 miles out of the front tyre which I think was pretty impressive especially as they hadn't been rotated with the rears.

I don't think they are a particularly fuel efficient or quiet tyre - but they do seem to last extraordinarily well.

Cant remember another car I've had that has eeked out this king of mileage on its rubber.
Bishop   
Thu Mar 13 2014, 03:52pm
Member No: #868
Am on Falkens for second winter in succession. Well priced, wearing well, and very effective (most notably last year in the snow, but also good in the wet this year). MPG does seem to suffer as a result (by a couple of MPG) and there is some extra road-noise, but I am happy to recommend as a cheaper alternative to the Michelin and Pirelli establishment.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club