Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 10:20am

Member No: #1
OK from this thread:

Are Michelins 'Noisy' on the C6
michaelb wrote ...

I think it varies from set to set. Trawling around the Net it seems Michelins have been subject of a recall because of premature cracking in the sidewalls - presumably caused by hardening. Hardening presumably is noisy.

The first time I test drove a C6 I remarked on the road noise within five minutes. When I bought mine the noise was still there but it became noticeably worse when I put new tyres on the back axle and moved the old back ones up front. No one, not even a hearing-aid user, would be in any doubt they are noisy. It's fairly obvious most of the noise is coming from the front.

It could be that you are lucky and have a batch which is less noisy.

Have you got an iPhone? Please download - Click Here - and measure it. I measured 84 dB average (which is fairly high - Wiki says anything over 78 dB causes hearing damage) at 134 kph on a glassy smooth French Autoroute.

At these speeds - which are fairly modest - I can't converse with a back seat passenger, neither of us can hear each other without shouting. I think that rates as noisy in anyone's book.

I've had several passengers telling me my previous car was much quieter, I've mentioned the experience of having to raise our voices quite considerably at modest Autoroute speeds, I then went and measured it to get an empirical measurement and that told me it is indeed loud.

I would like to know if other C6s are giving different levels. I can't comment on your car, only mine. That's why I'm curious to hear some more empirical measurements. If there is a measurable difference I will take it up with Citroën.

urb wrote ...

Absolutely no shouting going on in my Car. This i the quietest car I ever traveled in. Ok, never tried a Rolls-Royce, but top of the line bmw's and audi's . Not sure if all C6 have laminated windows, mine has. Here in Sveden most of the roads has stones mixed in the tarmac and know as noisy, but I thing the Michelin's handles them well. But on smooth tarmac I can get a annoying whining sound,

urb wrote ...

Db reading, running falken's 17". 76

On a road thar has stones mixed in the tarmac and known as noisy.

David K wrote ...

I had an awful noise level in the car after changing back to summer wheels after the winter. I bought two new tyres, (became Hankook because they won some tests). I decided to put the two old Michelin tires in front with appr. 6 mm left, and my god what a noise it became! It was really, really awful!

After a week with more or less constant headache after coming home from work because of the noise, I decided to buy two new ones and replace the two old. But then I thought about what would happen in case I would change side of the tyres, from left to right and the opposite. The tyres doesn't have a rotation direction, but I just thought it could be worth a try, and see what would happen.

So guess what, after the change I had a completely silent car again! No noise at all anymore from the tyres. Unfortunately I don't have an Iphone so I can't do the Db-trick, but I can assure you it's an amazingly silent car now!

So if your tyres makes a lot of noise, try first with changing the rotation direction before buying new ones. It coud be worth the effort!

@ David K - Sounds like there wearing unevenly and when you put them back on the first time they weren't on the same hub they came off.

Interesting observation though.
Website
michaelb   
Tue May 11 2010, 08:43pm
Member No: #14
After a long battle with Citroën I eventually had the front ones replaced today.

Back last December Citroën diagnosed my wheel noise as a failing bearing. This was eventually replaced before Easter - the long wait was due to other parts they were waiting for. When the bearing replacement didn't cure the noise they diagnosed the tyres as the fault. As they were the tyres which came with the car, and the noise was noted shortly after buying, I've been battling with them to replace the tyres at no cost to me, or at least significant discount. I slowly worked my way up the Citroën UK chain of command speaking to one department manager after another but dozens of phone calls later I got no further than a token discount. Today I bit the bullet and put my credit card on the counter.

What a transformation. I haven't quite got down to Urb's 76 dB but even on coarse UK motorways I did see 78 dB on the way home. This is more like it. I've no doubt they'll be quieter again on smooth French roads. There is still tyre noise evident but nothing like it was before.
C6Dave   
Tue May 11 2010, 09:23pm

Member No: #1
I have to say that as my front tyres (original Michelins) are now nearing the wear indicators and will need changing before to long, the tyre noise does appear to have increased Michael.

I can't measure it as I don't have an iPhone or the app I'm afraid.

I'll try to get something organised before they are changed but will probably be a couple of months yet.
Website
michaelb   
Wed May 12 2010, 07:38am
Member No: #14
C6Dave wrote ...

I have to say that as my front tyres (original Michelins) are now nearing the wear indicators and will need changing before to long, the tyre noise does appear to have increased Michael.

In my case there was still plenty of thread left. The noise may have increased due to the age of the tyres but in the main they had become unbearable due to what Citroën diagnosed as "misshapen" or "flat-spotted". I presume the flat spots came from the previous owner parking the car for a long time.

There were only 9,000 miles on a two year old car when I bought it. However they had been damaged, or maybe it was a construction defect, they hummed at high speed and "whump, whump, whumped" at low speed. It was awful, sometimes it felt like I had a puncture, the car should never have been sold with this defect, which leaves me angry as I'm out of pocket, but I'm glad to have it finally resolved and I'm looking forward to my first big trip in C6 comfort.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club