C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Tyre pressure monitors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Fri Nov 23 2012, 07:15pm

Member No: #1
If the car has Xenons (and I'm sure the whole C6 range has) it has to have headlamp wash by law.

The covers 'pop up' under water pressure when the lights are on and the screen wash is activated.

It should spray the lights twice.

It's possible that the 2 stage pump on the washer bottle (behind the front offside wheel arch liner) is stuck or failed

Stand at the front of the car and get someone to activate the screen wash with the lights on and see if water sprays on the floor, it may be a bust or disconnected pipe
Website
Gobxoy   
Sat Nov 24 2012, 09:36am
Member No: #786
If you are driving at motorway speeds with headlights on use the windscreen washers and check your side mirror after about 2 seconds you get a very distinctive spray pattern off the rear end at bumper height.
Grumpytvr   
Tue Nov 27 2012, 11:41am
Member No: #742
Thanks again for replies, sorry for slow response, I've been away from a computer for a while!

Have checked the operation of the washers and they definitely don't work. Shall have a poke around in the not too distant future. Hopefully it's an easy fix such as pipes, connectors or worst case replacing the pump.

I've had a similar thing happen on an old Vectra, the rear windscreen washer packed up whilst the front ones were fine. Turned out to be the two stage pump. Funnily enough that was behind one of the wheel arch loners too...
pclark   
Wed Nov 28 2012, 09:02am
Member No: #3
Are you sure there is sufficient fluid in the washer reservoir? From memory the headlamp washers stop working when the level falls to a certain point but the windscreen washer still works. This is I assume deliberate to prioritise the remaining fluid for the windscreen.
James   
Mon Dec 31 2012, 01:56pm
Member No: #817
magicands wrote ...

My sensor blew out, deflating my tyre instantly (very worrying) I replaced the sensor with a new one from Citroen but had installed the spare wheel (no thanks to the Jack buckling under the weight of the car?) I took my car to Just Tyres who fitted the new sensor and replaced my wheel but had to return to Citroen to have the sensor recognised by the cars computer system.
The chap at Just tyres didnt charge me for fitting the new sensor as I always use them for my tyres.
Sadly the sensor cost £84 and then a further £106.40 at Citroen to prgramme it up.............£190.40..........I think next time I will just use a normal tyre valve and forget the computer, after all, I've always checked my own tyres in the past!!
A license to print money me thinks

On Saturday driving up the A34 to Oxford, I got a low pressure warning. Knowing the system over 3 C5s and 2 C6s, I know that sensor faults are rare and usually this means the tyre is a couple of PSI below where it should be (not enough to feel by leaning on it). Within a few seconds it went to "Puncture" warning. Knowing the road and that I'd missed the chance to stop at layby I opted to leave at the next junction which put me about a mile from the Oxford branch of National tyre so I headed there, and (as it turned out) wrecked the tyre - but I wasn't going to take my life in the my hands to change it on the side of the A34 in the pouring rain with the traffic pretty heavy and fast moving.

At National it transpired that the sensor-valve assembly had corroded and failed (causing the rapid loss of pressure). When the guy from National examined in the others a second failed (it also had a wrong cap on it), and the 2 remaining ones showed signes of corrosion.

National can replace the sensors at £80 or so each + a flat £30 to program them to the car. It's an MoT failure to have a monitoring system which isn't working, and according to National-man the sensors have a not replacable battery which is good for 4 years or so and then the whole thing needs to be changed.
Since the car is still under warranty I opted not to get new sensors from National and head back down the A34 to Hartwells who I've had one good experience with already this month.

According to them (a) This is a fairly common issue. (b) The same siemens sensors are used by Mercedes and Mazda where the problem also exists and (c) it is covered by warranty.

Curious to know what others do about checking for / preventing corrosion, and if people are hitting the end of life for the battery.
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 31 2012, 04:13pm

There is a long thread on it already. Battery life is estimated at 7-10 years, not 4 (think you were been given the 'hard sell' on that one)

I always use plastic caps and spray with 'Ferrosol' and have only had one ever fail.

You can also by a repair kit which is just the valve assembly so you can leave the actual sensor in place (again there is a thread with images on site) and these are far cheaper than replacing the whole sensor modules
Website
magicands   
Mon Dec 31 2012, 04:38pm
Member No: #1021
One of my sensors blew out in October causing instant tyre deflation, this was caused by corrosion around the thread where the cap screwed on and the whole thing just fell off causing the blow out.
My advise is to cake them in Grease and keep them caked in it, its far to expensive to keep replacing the sensor and having the computer re programmed.
I also concur with what dave is saying above.
Website
James   
Mon Dec 31 2012, 08:37pm
I think I found the thread with the info about just changing the valve, but after much to-ing and fro-ing in national the conclusion was that it couldn't be changed on this model, and the conversation I had with the local dealer seemed to support that.

I commented to this thread because I saw magicands and I had almost identical incidents. It's not just a C6 thing, a quick search turned up owners of multiple makes all saying the same thing - the metal valve suffers from galvanic corrosion (that is a small current flowing between two metals when they get something conductive - say salty water from winter roads).
Gobxoy   
Tue Jan 01 2013, 10:06am
Member No: #786
I went with Tyresure monitor and TPMS approx £160 at the time, for four valve/TPMs and monitor and it works a treat. I had a winter check and the OEM TPMS turned off and at the same time switched from 18" to 17" wheels all for £58. The winter check was £19.99 so thats £38 for the Lexia work?

They did say it was a pain to set up new TPMS so that helped me decide to go with the Tyresure.

Tyresure give pressure and temps you can set your own High and low limits for T&Ps. Easy to set up and now I don't need to do a manual check very often. Here's the thread with them in. - Click Here - oh and they do an iphone app so you can chek Ts&Ps on your iphone not sure about Android.

Tolleys fitted them with the winter tyres a few weeks earlier.
Tjensen   
Tue Jan 01 2013, 01:16pm
Member No: #954
And there are new and better "original" valves (?) Are they Citroen parts or from other sources and what is the part no/identification ?
smihaialex   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 10:35am
Member No: #1031
Hi guys,

Do you know where I could get my hands on a couple of valve shaft replacements for the TPMS sensors?

I have 2 Citroën original part sensors with corroded valves. I know that Citroën only sells either the complete sensor, or a "repair kit" as they call it, which only includes the washer, the nut, the valve mechanism that goes inside the valve shaft, and the valve plastic cap, but inside the 4 threads that talk about this topic I found on our website, someone was saying that you could actually only get the valve shaft from somewhere and replace it...

Can you recommend a website that sells them?!? Or perhaps, and forgive me for daring to ask this, if you know of a physical store, I could wire you the amount and you could buy them and send them my way?!?

Thank you very very much,
Sam
C6Dave   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 12:45pm

Replied to your other post but to see them on eBay - Click Here -
Website
gmerry   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 03:36pm
Member No: #21
Hi Sam, here's a couple of points to consider:-

1/ the battery life inside the sensors is about 7 years (ish)

2/ new stem kits (ebay sourced) are around £30 (old corrosion resistance)

3/ new OEM Siemens/VDO sensors with improved materials/corrosion resistance are around £60 (Try World Car Parts - Click Here - )

4/ to remove the old stems without damaging the sensor requires some tooling (I posted on this, use a special piloted drill).

If you are planning on keeping the car for more than a year or so, you may just decide to fit new sensors (do this when replacing the tyres).

Regards
G

Just guessing, but the "new" stem kits available form ebay are old stock and hence don't come with the improved anti-corrosion treatment. The new items I have purchased from World Car Parts seem to be new stock build to an improved specification.
James   
Sat Feb 02 2013, 04:53am
gmerry wrote ...

4/ to remove the old stems without damaging the sensor requires some tooling (I posted on this, use a special piloted drill).

Which may be why when I had 2 go I was told the stems couldn't be changed. Can only be changed with special tools might have been more accurate.

Citroen paid for mine under warranty
smihaialex   
Mon Feb 04 2013, 09:43am
Member No: #1031
Thank you @gmerry!

In fact, on my car right now, I have 2 brand new sensors, and 2 older ones, and what I was thinking was to get another couple of brand new ones, as well as a couple of valves...

In doing so I would have a set of brand new ones and a set of older ones - I could use the new ones for summer wheels/tyres, and the old ones for winter wheels/tyres...

Thanks again,
Sam

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club