C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Tyre pressure monitors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Grumpytvr   
Wed Oct 31 2012, 10:44pm
Member No: #742
Good evening gents, I don't often post here but quite often lurk in the background. This is probably because I rarely have problems with my C6 (Which probably means that I will regularly have problems with my C6 now I've said it)

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the tyre pressure sensors please?

I recently took the front passenger side alloy off the car to have it repaired. (it's a long story but I won't say more than it had a ding in the inside rim). Whilst the wheel was being repaired I drove around for a couple of days with spare on instead. As the spare has no sensor in it, the display picked up that it could not read pressure in that wheel.

Fast forward a couple of days and I collected my freshly repaired and refurbished wheel, put it on the car and drove away from the garage only to find that the display picked up that it could not read pressure in the wheel. The sensor was working when I took the wheel in, which was a bit of a concern.

A couple of questions before I go and berate the wheel refurbishers for breaking the pressure sensor:

Is there anything I need to reset on the car when I put the alloy back on after driving round on the spare for a couple of days?

- Or does it reset itself automatically?

I can't seem to find much about it in my hand book. Could anyone offer some advice please?

I'm expecting the worst, that way it can only get better!
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 07:36am

Member No: #1
Hmm, daft question but did they replace the valve with a normal one, have you had a look?
Website
Stealth   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 08:37am
Member No: #986
Hi, GrumpyTVR,

I recently had a kerb damaged rear wheel removed and repaired and, much to my surprise, the pressure sensing system re-set itself after the sensor equipped wheel was re-fitted.

Oddly, I drove for a couple of kms on the spare tyre before the system alerted me to the absence of the monitored wheel. After returning the repaired wheel to its rightful location, I took the car for a test run and the tyre pressures display soon indicated that it was re-setting itself - I've had four greens since.

As you point out, the manual doesn't seem to say anything about any need to re-set. In the absence of the more experienced advice you may be about to receive from our colleagues in this forum, sounds to me like the battery in the valve may need replacing or perhaps it has been damaged, as you suspect.
gmerry   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 09:41am
Member No: #21
Hi, in my experience, the system always resets itself when the wheel and original tyre pressure sensor is re-installed. At worst, this will take about 25 minutes of driving, but usually much quicker.

Best to get a Lexia diagnosis on the system. Note you might also find a tyre shop with full ATEQ diagnositic programming tool which can interogate sensor, check remaining battery life of the sensor, directly tell you pressure and temperatures and reprogramme and "awaken" a new sensor if one is required.

I'm using genuine Siemens sensors sold by World Car Parts for replacement sensors and winter steel wheels.

Regards
G
magicands   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 12:20pm
Member No: #1021
My sensor blew out, deflating my tyre instantly (very worrying) I replaced the sensor with a new one from Citroen but had installed the spare wheel (no thanks to the Jack buckling under the weight of the car?) I took my car to Just Tyres who fitted the new sensor and replaced my wheel but had to return to Citroen to have the sensor recognised by the cars computer system.
The chap at Just tyres didnt charge me for fitting the new sensor as I always use them for my tyres.
Sadly the sensor cost £84 and then a further £106.40 at Citroen to prgramme it up.............£190.40..........I think next time I will just use a normal tyre valve and forget the computer, after all, I've always checked my own tyres in the past!!
A license to print money me thinks
Website
travlician   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 01:04pm
Member No: #350
Magicands, I'm sure next time you could find someone on the forum to help with Lexia to program the new sensor. I'd invite you but it appears C6 cannot run over 5000 miles over water so that's not a real option. I think the TPMS sensors will be less expensive in the future (they are already being produced in China). And definitely 106,40 just for programming a TPMS sensor in the C6 is an abuse!
I really appreciate the TPMS as it saved me 2 tires/reems already by giving me an early warning when the tire is damaged.
Grumpytvr   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 01:56pm
Thanks for all the responses. I've checked the wheel and the sensor is definitely there - well the metal valve stem is anyway!

Strangely when I started the car this morning, the sensor was identified quite quickly (5 min) and worked fine with a green OK shown on the screen. However about 30 mins later the "no pressure monitored" warning came up and for around 5 minutes then disappeared and everything was ok again.

I've since been out and about and I had a green ok for the first 10 minutes but then "no pressure monitored" and an Amber flashing wheel ever since.

Looks like it's going back to the refurb company to sort out (I used them on a recommendation) I'll let you know how I get on.....

magicands   
Thu Nov 01 2012, 04:02pm
Member No: #1021
Travlician - Thanks for the advise, I am glad that this forum is available to all of us and yes £106.40 is legalised robbery.
Website
Grumpytvr   
Wed Nov 21 2012, 03:17pm
Right, an update.

The small print in the alloy wheel restorer's guff say's they can't guarantee removal and refitting of pressure sensors. I should have read it! They did actually do a very good job on the refurb itself however and I can see their point of view (sort of)

I've replaced the pressure sensor and borrowed a friend's copy of Lexia to reprogramme the new one.

A couple of things:

The ID on the pressure sensor is an 8 character alpha numeric code, the ID in Lexia is a 10 digit number! What I thought would be a relatively straight forward procedure of feeding in the new ID seems to be somewhat more difficult.

How do you you activate wheel pressure sensors if the code you have appears not to be correct?

Any advice much appreciated.

On a separate note I don't think anyone has ever plugged into the ECU on the car. Lexia came up with 584 recorded fauls, there may have been more but the memory was full. Most of them were trivial like parking sensor faults or tyre pressure faults funnily enough. I did find it a bit of a shock however!
cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 21 2012, 04:18pm

Member No: #38
Don't worry about the stored faults mounting up, once they don't reappear as permanent faults. A lot of spurious faults can occur during start up and shut down or even disconnecting the battery for maintenance. If you're concerned, when you clear the faults, take the car for a spin and then check the fault log again. And check another thread on the steering wheel angle sensor fault. I have seen this on all 5 x C6's I have plugged into and I think the general concensus is that it's a Lexia glitch.

On the wheel sensor code I don't know. Will try and check one of the cars this evening and report back if I have anything helpful to add.

Regards,

Phil C.
smorphet   
Wed Nov 21 2012, 06:29pm
Member No: #88
Grumpytvr wrote ...

The ID on the pressure sensor is an 8 character alpha numeric code, the ID in Lexia is a 10 digit number! What I thought would be a relatively straight forward procedure of feeding in the new ID seems to be somewhat more difficult.

The alphanumeric code is actually hexadecimal (letters A-F and numbers 0-9). You can convert it to decimal using a calculator with base conversion.

Some handheld calculators will struggle with numbers that long, but the Microsoft Windows one seems to cope: Change to 'scientific' view, select the 'hex' display mode and enter the 8 character number, then select the 'dec' display mode and the display will show a decimal number suitable for entry into Lexia.

I did wonder whether Lexia would cope with direct entry of the hexadecimal numbers, but never got around to trying it.

Steve.
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 21 2012, 07:00pm

Member No: #1
Oh my head is spinning now reading that post smorphet, what happened before 'scientific' calculators were invented.

Oh yes, we used a tyre pressure gauge as part of our weekly checks!
Website
Grumpytvr   
Wed Nov 21 2012, 09:38pm
smorphet wrote ...

Grumpytvr wrote ...

The alphanumeric code is actually hexadecimal (letters A-F and numbers 0-9). You can convert it to decimal using a calculator with base conversion.

Some handheld calculators will struggle with numbers that long, but the Microsoft Windows one seems to cope: Change to 'scientific' view, select the 'hex' display mode and enter the 8 character number, then select the 'dec' display mode and the display will show a decimal number suitable for entry into Lexia.

I did wonder whether Lexia would cope with direct entry of the hexadecimal numbers, but never got around to trying it.

Steve.

Yep, CE27A1F2 Becomes 3458703858 which makes much more sense! (well it's similar to the others anyway) Being of a mechanical background that never occurred to me. Perhaps I'd better stick to my spanners.

Thank you so much for your help, the next challenge will be whether the replacement tyre monitor I've had installed is any good. Too dark and miserable to do it now, maybe I'll have a go during daylight hours.....

Cheers

Tom
Grumpytvr   
Wed Nov 21 2012, 09:45pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Don't worry about the stored faults mounting up, once they don't reappear as permanent faults. A lot of spurious faults can occur during start up and shut down or even disconnecting the battery for maintenance. If you're concerned, when you clear the faults, take the car for a spin and then check the fault log again. And check another thread on the steering wheel angle sensor fault. I have seen this on all 5 x C6's I have plugged into and I think the general concensus is that it's a Lexia glitch.

Thanks for this, I wasn't overly worried about this just surprised. After all, I've been driving it round for the last year without any major problems! - Including west country floods today. Can't beat hydro-pneumatic suspension.

Cheers

Tom
Grumpytvr   
Fri Nov 23 2012, 05:43pm
Been out in daylight to re-look at the problem. Fired up Lexia, put in the converted code, went for a quick drive and hey presto, front left wheel now green and OK on display. Many thanks for the steer (no pun intended)

On a separate note one of the other fault codes has come up as a short in the headlamp washers. I didn't know it had any! Obviously the covers are on the bumper, but I assumed that they just covered the holes and they weren't fitted.

Before I start investigating further does anyone know whether headlamp washers were fitted to all models or just the Exclusive? (Mines a Lignage).

Any assistance much appreciated.

Cheers

Tom
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club