Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

When will a model of the DS Line have a Hydractive suspension?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 10:13am

Member No: #1
Citroën's CEO Frédéric Banzet answers the questions asked by the brand's fans on Facebook.

The DS line is a real-life French-style success story and a singular adventure for a full-line carmaker. Two years after launch, the three-model line-up consisting of the DS3, DS4 and DS5 has sold in over 200,000 units

Hasn't answered the question though?
Website
mark28   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 11:45am
Member No: #102
The answer is none and in the future not sure
Trainman   
Mon Apr 16 2012, 01:30pm

Member No: #86
At least he didn't rule it out, There was a deffinate"NO COMMENT" in there, realistically, if they did, it would just be a peugeot, so why not scrap the brand??
ChrisHunter   
Sun Apr 29 2012, 07:31pm
Member No: #188
we got quite enthusiastic about the DS5 Hybrid ...

even very-enthusiastic ...

until we read about its ride ...

mentions of DS5 rear suspension seem to vary all the way from dead-axle to from-the-C6 ...

gloom & doom ...

Gobxoy   
Mon Apr 30 2012, 07:08am
Member No: #786
Perhaps DS is a Citroën speak for

Dead
Suspension

It's really quite disapointing, C5 could be the last of the Hydropnematic.

Slough being sent to Coventry?
C6Dave   
Mon Apr 30 2012, 07:57am

Gobxoy wrote ...

Slough being sent to Coventry?

They certainly are

It's causing a few parts supply problems atm apparently during the switchover.

Website
ciao_chao   
Tue May 01 2012, 08:55pm
Member No: #518
Hahaha, just got some DS5 promo material in the mail today. I'm half tempted to post it back with a note saying 'I appreciate the sentiment, but without hydractive, please leave me alone.'

Edit - They've actually provided me with a Freepost envelope!
Gobxoy   
Thu May 17 2012, 10:08am
I have just read in Autocar that new C5 to be built by GM on Vauxhall Insignia.

I can't see that there is any hope that Hydropnematic will be carried over?

Hope I am wrong.
Bishop   
Thu May 17 2012, 02:53pm
Member No: #868
Gobxoy - I read the same and also had that sinking feeling ('wasn't in the C6 at the time (sic)). If so, it's close to an automotive travesty. All that heritage, competitive differentiation and signature technology flushed away. PSA had the opportunity to steel a march on the rest of the industry by developing the electronically controlled oleopneumatic suspension further towards a truly active concept concept as part of a properly premium brand. Now it seems destined to orthodoxy, and me-too technology. No matter how good a DS-line car looks (and the 3, 5 and prospective 9 are lookers), the brand will only stretch so far up to premium pricing unless they can provide real and perceived quality engineering solutions. Shame.
James   
Thu May 17 2012, 05:19pm
Member No: #817
Got a link ? It doesn't sound plausible for a number of reasons.

PSA are already in an engine partnership with Ford, and the C-Crosser is made by mitsubishi. Are they moving to an engine partnership with GM or are GM going to be building cars with Ford engines ? Ford would look like a more likely partner.

Outsourcing the C5 would mean the Peugeot 40x / 50X which share a lot of the parts would need to go too. Maybe they want to dump a French factory but there would be political fall-out of having the cars built on GM lines outside France.

The writing was on the wall when the C5 MKII arrived with a passive springs or Hydractive as a choice - the first time you could get a big Citroen without their speciality suspension since 1955 (DS - GS/BX/XANTIA/C5 CX/XM/C6 ).

If the sales figures show that it the market is neutral to hydractive, or even anti-hydractive because of its effect on 2nd hand values .... well I don't have to spell it out.
Gobxoy   
Thu May 17 2012, 05:35pm
Sorry no link in newsagents. But I read it in a newspaper so must be true?

Didn't GM buy into PSA group?

GM have a good reputation with sharing platforms SAAB springs to mind.......gota go teas ready
Hattershaun   
Thu May 17 2012, 07:02pm
Member No: #320
GM have bought 7% of PSA.
The intentions are to gain in volume purchasing power, shared logistics and R&D/platforms.

Peugeot 407 & C5 I&II shared the same platform, then 508 & C5 III, whilst having hydractive only on the Citroen.
So, given the desire to continue with hydractive for a Citroen it's quite feasible on a platform shared with the next Vectra(sorry Insignia).
Time will tell.
ciao_chao   
Thu May 17 2012, 10:18pm
Member No: #518
James wrote ...

If the sales figures show that it the market is neutral to hydractive, or even anti-hydractive because of its effect on 2nd hand values .... well I don't have to spell it out.

Sadly true, people will always buy the [%*^#@!] car with the nice badge, and thus cars with "[%*^#@!]" (by public perception) badges have no hope, and even less so with unorthodoxy.

A long time ago, people who owned large cars usually also knew about cars, they were a passion as well as a transport tool. Sadly, democracy has brought cars to the masses, and the masses don't give a flying f*** about them.

It happened to couture, and it's happening to the car now.

Perhaps a timely trip up to Coventry (isn't that where new Citroen HQ is), to mourn the loss of hydropneumatics is in order.
James   
Fri May 18 2012, 08:58am
Member No: #817
Well a quick search for "GM Buys PSA" turns up stories from the end of Feb about the 7% stake.

One of them says that GM will likely use PSA's small car platforms and PSA will likely use - Click Here - GM's Epsilon Platform. (Which is also used by Fiat).

There is actually some hope for Citroen in this (c.f. Hattershaun), because instead of sharing only between 2 brands -so you get the 107 and C1 being the same car more-or-less, they cut the platform development cost and spend on the differentiators. Bear in mind that the C5/6 auto gearbox comes from part of Toyota and C1/107 was developed with Toyota. The diesel engines come from Ford. The future may be in alliances.

What I've heard is that PSA and Renault are feeling squeezed. People who want small cheap cars are getting them from the far east, and people who want prestiege cars buy German. The idea behind the DS3 in particular, is to create a boutique brand [DS rather than citroen] for small, but not cheap; but that relies on that strategy of making a car which is different by starting with parts used in cars that are ordinary - rather than a clean sheet.

Oh yes , and Slough is closing - Click Here - after 86 years.
C6Dave   
Fri May 18 2012, 09:42am

James wrote ...

What I've heard is that PSA and Renault are feeling squeezed. People who want small cheap cars are getting them from the far east, and people who want prestiege cars buy German.

If you want to know how 'squeezed' read: - Click Here -
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club