C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

SPECS and C6 HUD

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
dsharples   
Tue Nov 29 2011, 09:22pm
Member No: #119
This evening, whilst travelling along the A14 (Huntingdon) towards the Cambridge/M11 intersection, I noticed that every time the C6 passed under the multi-lane SPECS Average Speed Cameras, the C6's HUD would momentarily "brighten" up.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I've never noticed it on the M25 SPECS sections, but the ones on the A14 seem to have double-infrared sensors, rather than the singles on the M25; and the A14 intersection near Cambridge/M11 has these "double infrared SPECS" cameras over each of the 4 lanes (inc the A14 slip road), and was wondering if this was having an effect either on a sensor on C6, the HUD unit, or my eyes' response to the HUD...

Or am I just imagining it...?
smorphet   
Tue Nov 29 2011, 11:32pm
Member No: #88
There is a sensor that adapts the brightness of the HUD to the light level. I've never noticed it being affected by IR light, but it does sound like this is what's happening.

There's a light sensor on top of the dashboard, which I assume does all the sensing, for the HUD, automatic lights, etc. I think I also read that it has some effect on the air conditioning. If the sensor can be affected by IR light, is it possible that a really big speed camera could switch off my headlights?

Steve.
Ped   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 08:10am
Member No: #82
I thought the sensor for the lights was under the drivers side wing mirror (the little blob underneath) - might be wrong though. I'll look for the dash sensor in a bit!
pclark   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 09:10am
Member No: #3
I believe the 'blob' under the mirror is the sensor for the outside temperature display. The sensor on the dashboard i think is the sunlight sensor for the climate control. The light sensor is with the rain sensor behind the windscreen near the rear view mirror.
gmerry   
Wed Nov 30 2011, 09:46am
Member No: #21
Off topic here, but I have also thought it would nice to be able to turn all the dash lights off with the dark button and just have the HUD (which can be adjusted independently for brightness). This would make night driving so much better. Any software wizards here think such a mod would be possible. Presumably there is a legal requirement to have a speed display, but this would be taken car of by the HUD. Likewise a telltale for the high beam indicator but again that is shown on the HUD too.

Regards
G
James   
Wed Mar 14 2012, 10:54pm
Member No: #817
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I can report I see this phenominum as a well. There is a specs system at the junction of the M3 southbound and M25, and passing under the exit camera from this in the evenings I notice the change in brightness of the HUD. One day I'll put my phone camera on to film it because it sees IR

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club