C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Auto Gearbox Trouble.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Mike H   
Wed Nov 16 2011, 09:27pm
Member No: #53
I did not think I had a problem, but had a part change @ 62 K/6 yrs . with noticable improvement such that my wife commented.
gmerry   
Fri Nov 25 2011, 11:59am
Member No: #21
Attached is a photo of the most critical internal with respect to fluid cleanliness.

Regards
G
a_lascu   
Wed Mar 07 2012, 07:40pm
Member No: #826
black_exclusive wrote ...

Not that common! Ours and Wojtek's are the only ones known to have the fault at the moment...

It seems you are not the only ones experienced that problem.

I bought my C6 2.7 HDI from a Citroen dealer in Romania, in July 2006, and since now everything was ok.

I have 105.000km and in January 2012 I noticed exactly the same symptom as you are.

They (Citroen dealer service) change the box oil, on my money, of course, but nothing happened.

The used oil color was black, more like engine oil than automatic gearbox oil, which should be red.

Then, after they consult with the Headquarters service in Germany, they decide to change the hydraulic block and the oil, again.

This operation will cost me 1.500 Euro.

But this action will solve my problems? Nobody could answer to this simple question.

It looks like next week they’ll receive the spare parts and they’ll “try” to solve the problem.

So, black_exclusive and Wojtek, did you solve the problem?
black_exclusive   
Wed Mar 07 2012, 09:44pm
Member No: #126
a_lascu wrote ...
So, black_exclusive and Wojtek, did you solve the problem?

Nope, and dad's C6 is off the road for winter on SORN so hasn't been used for a while. However, we have learnt that someone in Ireland fixed their's by replacing the £900 Valve Block on the side of the gearbox (IIRC) and this fixed it...

So it's either £900 for the Valve Block which may or may not fix it, or £2000 for replacement gearbox altogether...
drummond   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 07:40am
Member No: #238
Franklin, is the £900 valve block the same block that Wojtek pays £320 for? Methinks that a trip to Poland (again!) might be in order.
gmerry   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 10:47am
Guys, I have some Sonnax documents for diagnostic procedures on the valve block that I think can be done with the transmission in-situ. Will post tommorrow when I have access to another computer.

Re probability of success, access to a replacement valve body at reasonable cost and general nous I suggest speaking to the transmission parts specialsts in Surrey (I've previously posted their contact details).

Note sure what special expertise a Citroen dealer brings to the problem of repairing a faulty transmission.

Regards
G
a_lascu   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 01:39pm
It seems that my only solution is to let them change the hydraulic block, on my money, and hope that this will solve my problem.
Although there are now at least four cars with exactly the same problem which it looks to me that is a Citroen problem rather than a bad user problem.
It’s unacceptable that an automatic gearbox on a 55.000 euro car to work only 100.000 km or less.
Am I wrong?
gmerry   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 02:32pm
Lascu, I think the problem is that the hydraulic block is sensitive to wear particles in the fluid and probably the fluid properties as well.

The fluid is a mineral oil and I think the work that the fluid must do (eg shear in the torque convertor) is too much unless the fluid is replaced periodically.

I guess the fault with Citroen is in stating that the fluid is designed for the life of the car. The problem with such a statement is that it is hard to define and in any case Citroen would probably claim that it's not part of their warranty but merely part of their marketing "treat".

So best to change the fluid preventatively if one has the chance.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 02:53pm

Member No: #1
a_lascu wrote ...

It’s unacceptable that an automatic gearbox on a 55.000 euro car to work only 100.000 km or less.

The Auto Gearbox is not built by Citroen, but is built in Japan and is fitted to a host of other cars out there
Website
drummond   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 04:32pm
Member No: #238
It's only a small consolation, but Citroen had a similar problem with the full auto(not semi auto, a different proposition) they put in the DS. It lasted about 100 000km, as well.

That was made in England, by Borg Warner. Rumour has it that the fluid needed changing about every 20 000km.
Extant   
Thu Mar 08 2012, 05:08pm
Member No: #317
Mmmm, I think I will get mine changed at the next service. I assume that Citroen garages can be trusted to do this.
a_lascu   
Fri Mar 09 2012, 10:25am
C6Dave wrote ...

The Auto Gearbox is not built by Citroen, but is built in Japan and is fitted to a host of other cars out there

That means, theoretically, that all those cars should have the same problem, after 100.000 km.
Except the brands that have a periodically oil replacement policy.
And Citroen is not one of these brands, unfortunately for us.
I am wondering if there are some maintenance specifications for this kind of gearbox, posted by Japanese, in English, of course.
travlician   
Fri Mar 09 2012, 03:03pm
Member No: #350
To get a full list of cars using the same gearbox check Wikipedia Aisin AWTF-80.
Aisin (a Toyota subsidery that produces the gearboxes) states "Sealed for life" with AW-1 fluid.

When reading up on this issues it appears all of those cars have transmission issues on the long run that are avoided and/or cured by fluid changes. On the topic of fluid changes, Aisin does not publish the specifications of the special fluid "AW-1" but it is probably a synthetic fluid more similar to JWS3324, a synthetic ATF used by ... Toyota, than the mineral ATF dictated by Citroen (JWS 3309).

So when using (mineral) JWS 3309 it's likely more frequent changes are required, specially considering that a 100% fluid exchange is not feasable (enough has been publish on our forum on that issue).
theguardian   
Fri Mar 09 2012, 04:27pm
Member No: #645
just had mine done at 29.500 miles while they were doing the other repairs when it came out it looked like dirty engine oil (dark brown / Black)
forgot to say garage have done it free of charge for me coz of the other problems so thats saved me a few pounds
a_lascu   
Tue Mar 20 2012, 07:13am
It looks like they solve my problem, last Friday.

The solution is to change the hydraulic block and the gearbox oil, of course, and the cost is almost 1500 euro.

I think that the next reasonable steps is to ask them (in writing) about the warranty period for this new parts and what was the real cause of this problem in order to avoid it in the future.

And guys go and change the box oil.

Don’t listen to them that the oil is for life.
I did and …
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club