C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Dark Oil Stain and Small Drip

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 10:04pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, I have a dark stain bottom 3 inches inside drivers side wheel arch liner, forward of the wheel. Under the car, up in this corner, I have further oil stains / small drip accumulating. Looks like oil, pretty sure not anti-freeze. Is it likely to be LDS oil, any ideas what connection/joint might be the culprit.

Regards
G
dsharples   
Thu Mar 24 2011, 11:31pm
Member No: #119
I understand mine was the a joint on to the pump/reservoir assembly. I didn't see it personally, so can't comment.
Trainman   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 02:27pm

Member No: #86
Gerry,

I'm having the same issue and I think it the 'jubilee' clip that connect the return pipe to the LDS Reservoir, I can phyisically move the pipe even though it has a stupid clip on it.

and here in close up

I'm planning to change it this afternoon, but it is quite easy to get at, Jack up and remove the OSF wheel, (Don't forget to put the car on an axle stand) there are 2 clips which have to be removed from the from the liner, one where the front and rear parts join, and the other from directly in front of you

Then there are 6 T30 Torx screws to be removed, 2 in the wheel arch and then 4 underneath, one of these is right at the front under where the number plate sits, then the front liner should drop down, detatch the LDWS connectors and you should be able to take the liner out of your way.

I'll take some more pics this afternoon and post them later.
Leo   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 02:37pm
Member No: #94
Hi

Had the same issue with mine - dealership fixed it under warranty. Car is now just out of warranty so thanks to Steve for the details as next time I shall be fixing it myself.

Leo
Trainman   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 04:06pm

Right clip replaced, I've taken aload of pictures which I've uploaded to here - Click Here -

There are pictures of the clips, Torx screws, LDWS connectors, etc and the (what I think) is the dodgy clip, which only push's together. I have also uplaoded a picture of the 'proper' jubilee clip in place. Hope they help
gmerry   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 05:23pm
Steve, you are a star!. Looks like this should be a preventative fix for anyone with a C6. Is the pipe underneath the hose plastic or metal. If plastic, I guess a little care required not to overtighten a worm drive hose clip and hence crack plastic. I have a box of stainless worm drive clips, any idea what the hose OD would be.

Final question, how much LDS to add to replace what has dripped out? How does one check the fluid level ?

Thanks
G
Trainman   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 06:47pm

gmerry wrote ...
Looks like this should be a preventative fix for anyone with a C6. Is the pipe underneath the hose plastic or metal.

It's Plastic underneath and the return pipe is rubber.

gmerry wrote ...
any idea what the hose OD would be.

I used a 9mm/11mm jubilee clip

gmerry wrote ...
Final question, how much LDS to add to replace what has dripped out? How does one check the fluid level ?

From what I understand a LEXIA is required, as to how much, I guess it depends on how much you've lost
JimC   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 07:52pm
Member No: #229
Mine was in for it's first MOT yesterday and I asked them to check for a fuel leak as I sometimes I get an oily sheen on any ground water around the OSF wheel. They also connected it to LEXIA as I asked them to ensure it had the latest suspension software upload.

No fuel leak was reported so I'm now thinking of what you're talking about above. Would they have automatically seen low oil level in LEXIA or is it something the operator has to point it towards (sorry, don't know anything about LEXIA)... or is there any way for me to check the oil level?

Oh, and just to show how much I don't know... what's "LDS"? (the closest I can guess on a French car is Lubricant de Suspension )
Cheers, Jim
C6Dave   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 07:55pm

Member No: #1
JimC wrote ...

Oh, and just to show how much I don't know... what's "LDS"? (the closest I can guess on a French car is Lubricant de Suspension )

Cheers, Jim

'LDS' is the fluid the suspension/power steering uses
Website
Trainman   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 08:14pm

JimC wrote ...
Would they have automatically seen low oil level in LEXIA or is it something the operator has to point it towards (sorry, don't know anything about LEXIA)... or is there any way for me to check the oil level?

Jim,

I would guess that a check of all the fluid level would show up, to be honest, I'm not that well up on the Lexia either, (at the moment) looking to probably buy one this year. as there is getting more and more I need one for.

Just to clarify, we are talking about under the OSF wheel, just in front of it.
JimC   
Fri Mar 25 2011, 08:36pm
Member No: #229
Thanks Dave & Trainman,

Trainman wrote ...

Just to clarify, we are talking about under the OSF wheel, just in front of it.

I am
gmerry   
Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:33pm
Steve, I was trying figure out what the LDWS connectors were all about. Duh, Lane Depature Warning System: mine doesn't have it so one less bot to disconnect.

The Citroen mechanic had a look at it this morning: I asked him how "they" checked the fluid level for C5s and C6s and the answer was surprisingly simple. Lower car (without depressurising) and the fluid level should be awash with the bottom of the filler "cone". i.e some fluid should be level at the bottom of the flat surface just below the cap.

Almost 1 litre of LDS was required! File this one away.

Cheers
G
michaelb   
Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:10pm
Member No: #14
gmerry wrote ...
Lower car (without depressurising)

What do you mean "without depressurising"? - Leave the engine running?

Interesting thread.
C6Dave   
Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:12pm

Member No: #1
gmerry wrote ...

Even better, make it a permanent FAQ: - Click Here -
Website
Trainman   
Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:27pm

gmerry wrote ...

Steve, I was trying figure out what the LDWS connectors were all about. Duh, Lane Depature Warning System: mine doesn't have it so one less bot to disconnect.

The Citroen mechanic had a look at it this morning: I asked him how "they" checked the fluid level for C5s and C6s and the answer was surprisingly simple. Lower car (without depressurising) and the fluid level should be awash with the bottom of the filler "cone". i.e some fluid should be level at the bottom of the flat surface just below the cap.

Cheers
G

Gerry,

That's a job saved then, I didn't get chance to go today so was going to leave it until monday, I suspect I'm going to need a litre (ish) as well, possibily a bit more.........
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club