Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

Duplicate JBL option or separate sub in trunk?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
travlician   
Wed Mar 02 2011, 08:05pm
Member No: #350
Since my C6 is not fitted with the JBL option and I like deep bass sounds I'm considering two options: first option (and probably the neatest) is to dulpicate the JBL option, second option: place a powered sub in the trunk.

For the first option I'd need details how the JBL option is installed. I've read that the sound from the head unit is not passed to the sub-woofers so I suspect they used a separate output from the CD-changer and routed that to an amplifier an put two speakers on the board behind the rear seats. Can anyone verify this or inform me on the schematics, speaker an amplifier types?

For the second option I'd need less info, but maybe a suggestion where to get the sound source from as routing is from the RT3 in front would mean a lot of work.
jamesh   
Wed Mar 02 2011, 10:39pm
Member No: #196
If you like deep bass, then the powered sub would be the best way forward. I've got the JBL system in my C6, and the sound is OK, but not exceptional.

A lot of the cheaper aftermarket powered subs sound too boomy and distorted for my liking. One of my friends has an MTX subwoofer, and to my ears the sound from that is far better than the JBL units.
C6Dave   
Thu Mar 03 2011, 07:59am

Member No: #1
Well retro fitting JBL is a bit of a mission.There is a guide on how to do it on a C4 here: - Click Here -

That will give you some insight into it.

It may be simpler to simply put a sub in the boot and wire it from the existing speakers, or get a slimline one for under the front seats

Added a few relevant docs for you here: - Click Here -
Website
michaelb   
Fri Mar 04 2011, 02:55pm
Member No: #14
I am in a similar position. I find the OEM system to be quite poor. I would like to upgrade it somehow. I suspected, and Dave has confirmed, that installing the JBL components would be complicated, expensive and as jamesh says "not exceptional".

What I'd like to do is wheel the car into a reputable audio technician and ask them to propose an upgrade for a budget of "x" - much cheaper than changing the car for an Exclusive - but when I search on Google for such businesses I struggle to find what I'm looking for. It throws up everything from places who install £30,000 systems in Ferraris to little high street shops.

At the risk of hi-jacking travlician's thread I wonder does anyone know any such audio installers in London?
travlician   
Fri Mar 04 2011, 04:08pm
Reading all docs I found (got a hand on the workshop manual myself and already had Lexia 3), the JBL option is based on a complete amplifier with possibly better speakers in the doors, connected to the outputs of the RT3 system which is not only expensive but also very complex to install.

So I'll opt for a separate SUB in the trunk. My idea is to use an active sub, hang it in the left hand straps in the boot and let it have its power from the 12V connector in the boot. What's missing is the signal from the existing speaker lines, I'll post when I found the optimal solution for that. I'm also considering this option so as to be able to remove the sub in case I need all the boot space.

Note to Michael, it's ok, might pick up some experience from that too.
C6Dave   
Fri Mar 04 2011, 04:39pm

Member No: #1
Do we know where the sub for the JBL is usually mounted?

I don't have it so have no idea where it normally goes on a C6...
Website
travlician   
Fri Mar 04 2011, 05:57pm
According to the books is somewhere down in the center console. Close to the RT3.
travlician   
Sat Jun 18 2011, 04:27pm
Finally got to attend my sound system today, and placed an active SUB in the boot. For now I'm using the auxiliary 12V connector in the boot but might put in the proper wires later as I already did my research for that and is very easy.
The hardest part is to get the speaker signal to the boot. I found the best place to get it is by splitting it of the wires that go to the rear door connectors in the center cabin posts.

Took about one hour and a half to remove the cabin trim below the rear doors, slacken the rear part of the cabin trim below the front doors, remove the cabin center post trims, put in the splitters, lead the wire below the removed trims and then below the carpet to the boot, install the sub and put the trim back. The wire that carries the speaker signals is the twisted green/beige wire (a little thicker than most of the others).

Will post pictures if requested. The sub is a Fli FT10A-F5 which costs app. 100 pounds. The sound has greatly improved, I can now feel the bass vibrating the front seat (not bad for a 300W RMS sub placed in the trunk) without LDWS...

All HAPPY!

Oh, forgot to mention...

The JBL option uses a different loom so none of the required additional wires are present. The JBL amplifier is placed behind the glove box (LHD) and the subwoofers position depends on the RPOnr, originally placed above the CD changer but newer models have these in the boot to cabin separation board.

SO, an active SUB definitely is a lot easier and cheaper, and this way the sub can be reused in the next car (DS9 )!
black_exclusive   
Sat Jun 18 2011, 07:33pm
Member No: #126
If you can, I'd be interested to see some pictures.
travlician   
Sun Jun 19 2011, 07:50pm
Attached the view of the splits done and the sub as it is placed in the trunk. Franklin, the work for an exclusive (but why since it already has subs?) would be a lot easier since the speaker wires are already available in the trunk.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club