C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Fuel Prices...at least Shell is happy!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
tonyrome   
Thu Feb 03 2011, 10:20am
Member No: #15
I see this is in the news again, as the UK currently has record-high prices. The cost of diesel in the UK is now higher than in Germany, although petrol is about the same, I think. I've just read that Shell has been making £1.6 million per hour for the last three months. That's £1.6 million per hour profit! Nice work, if you can get it...
C6Dave   
Thu Feb 03 2011, 10:41am

Member No: #1
But with fuel duty, vat etc. making up more than 60% of the cost of a litre, the UK Government is even happier...........
Website
Extant   
Thu Feb 03 2011, 12:06pm
Member No: #317
£90 to fill the tank the other day.
mark28   
Thu Feb 03 2011, 01:27pm
Member No: #102
The profits made by Shell et al are massive, but it is not from the petrol pump. These are international companies and invest massive amount of money in development and finding ever decreasing supplies of oil. 60% of the price goes to Govt.

The US use the same oil and their petrol is a tiny price compared to ours. Mind you they have a shameful minimum wage, no health service (yet) and terrible employment rights. I could go on....... At risk of making a political point I will now shut up .
datmbn   
Fri Feb 04 2011, 07:16am
Member No: #193
"£90 to fill the tank the other day"

Time to begin making your own biodiesel then ?

I have been working on an easy process all winter and i think i have came close, it is not hard at all, and the cost 0.3 euro/l
and best of all it is environment friendly.

maybe if their is any interest i can describe the process in an other thread.

regards Mats
tonyrome   
Fri Feb 04 2011, 11:18am
datmbn wrote ...
I have been working on an easy process all winter and i think i have came close, it is not hard at all, and the cost 0.3 euro/l...maybe if their is any interest i can describe the process in an other thread.

DIY Bio Diesel? More details - Click Here -
Homebrew recipes - Click Here -

It may be quite easy to make but you need to ensure it's high quality or you'll end up with loads of problems. Even then, you'll still have to carry spare fuel filters and remove the tank filter, to overcome initial clogging problems. Citroen officially say you shouldn't use it - even the commerically available Bio Diesel - in the C6 HDi.
datmbn   
Fri Feb 04 2011, 12:06pm
Member No: #193
If you wash it properly with water and allow it to settle for a minimum of 2 weeks and then some filtering 5/1000 mm
you should not have any problem.

biodiesel will desolve some old dirt and therefor clog the filter, this is an minor problem if the car is new, just run one ore tow tanks and then change filter and you should have no problems .

regards Mats
tonyrome   
Wed Feb 09 2011, 11:18am
Just read that one of the Wikileaks cables shows the US Ambassador to Saudi Arabia reported that one of the Saudi government's oil executives had revealed that reserves of crude in the Kingdom may have been overstated by as much as 40%!

If that's accurate, the Saudis won't be able to keep a lid on the prices even if they wanted to and, as demand increases, the price will go through the roof over the next few years. I wonder what proportion of people would be forced off the road in the UK, when the price hits, say, £5/litre or £10/litre?
Trainman   
Wed Feb 09 2011, 12:08pm

Member No: #86
tonyrome wrote ...
I wonder what proportion of people would be forced off the road in the UK, when the price hits, say, £5/litre or £10/litre?

You can bet your bottom dollar it won't be the MP's.................

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club