C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

It's gone!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
RichardKC6   
Fri Jan 21 2011, 09:01pm
Member No: #49
All done - handed over today, got the C3. True to form the C6 marked its final journey - as I pressed the button to erase the jukebox music - by developing a rattle from the front passenger door. Quite an annoying one that matched the chittering from the back seat and the rattle from the balljoints. Just shocking for a "prestige" car with only 25,000 miles on it, only matched by the dealer's reluctance to just sort these things out effectively.

The C3's got off to a stunning start by not being correctly assembled! However, it's in my favour - it has chrome mirror bases and tinted rear windows like an Exclusive (it also had a random "VT" badge on one door). Already impressed with the Zenith windscreen, the little radio's pairing with the iPhone and the quality of the handsfree kit/streamed music is definitely making the car an appealing prospect to bomb about in. I think that my expectations and the dealer's abilities and skills are going to be much closer on this car.

I'm sad the C6 wasn't the emotive, dynamic equal of the CX and XM in my experiences and perception. I can forgive it those things. I can't really forgive it the shortcomings it inherited from Citroën UK though, and it's a real shame that what potential the car does have in that regard is being lost by dreadful backup and customer service. Hopefully the people that do love how the car drives and behaves will have better experiences, or will be more forgiving!

Anyone wanting a bargain; I'm afraid that by trading it in the remaining warranty on the car was voided apparently. So I suspect it will be sitting around unsold for a long time (again).
C6Dave   
Sat Jan 22 2011, 08:39am

Member No: #1
It will all depend on what price tag they put on it. It may well be used by one of the staff for a while
Website
tonyrome   
Sat Jan 22 2011, 11:28am
Member No: #15
I can understand some of your comments re the C6 but then why go for a C3? You'll have exactly the same problem with Citroen dealers, you've already mentioned quality control issues with the C3, it's far from class leading to begin with and it's hardly likely to get better with age!
RichardKC6   
Mon Jan 24 2011, 10:08am
That's a very good question, essentially:

1: I didn't have much choice really - the only way to get out of the C6 without paying for it for another 7 months or so, or going through the nonsense I had to deal with with Brian and a private sale potentially, was to go back to a Citroën dealer, find the car with the biggest discounts, and hope I could get a deal that ensured the discounts were > the -ve equity on the C6. I don't object so strongly to paying list price instead of getting heavy discounts (even if I could have a better deal without the C6), I really didn't want to be paying over list price. I don't buy new cars outright, I contract hire or lease - usually on the fiercest terms available (to be fair the C6 was an amazing deal when I got it).

2: The new C3 is a world ahead of the old C3 (a car I rejected in 2004 in Pluriel form because the quality of the showroom one was so poor). I'd say the new one has a finish equal to my RX8 or New Beetle, and in some areas superior to the C6.

3: Rather than it being a complex car with 700 or so in the country that the dealers have never/rarely seen, it's one of their biggest sellers AND a simple vehicle. So whilst i may be irritated with the attitude, I should be satisfied that the car has actually been fixed should anything go wrong.

4: It's not emotionally led. I love cars, but I try to rationalise/compromise; the C6 was a case of trying to force myself to have one car that did everything and focusing on my past fondness for the CX/XM, hoping to address the isssues I'd had with those all being older cars that had been neglected or abused IMO. The C6 was a very emotive thing. I should really have gone for a cheap functional car and spent the money on a good CX or XM.

5: Finally - I actually really like the C3 Airdream. It's nice enough to drive, a little bouncy as small cars tend to be but better than an A-class for ride, the engine is torquey and powerful, it's well geared (gearchange isn't great, but I expect it'll loosen up a bit and just be vague after a few miles). The big windscreen makes it feel like a car of the future, rather than a "same old stuff" cheapie, and things like the bluetooth stuff just working right away are good for first impressions. I like mine more because of the quality control issues, given that they're bits normally found on an Exclusive that I couldn't have specified anyway (the deal was a car from stock).

My expectations are FAR lower, my investment in the car is much lower (thanks to the lower price, road tax and economy, and lower insurance, I can allocate almost £4000 more to a car which DOES push the right buttons for me without taking away from the requirement for a newish, respectable car that is practical and reliable) and so far I'm a lot happier with it.

The only things I'd really like to have changed would have been finding an Exclusive on the same deal, for the auto wipers and stuff (which I can live without), and I think they should give the C3 the DS3 bumpers with the blade running LEDs. Had that been the face of the Exclusive I might have paid the extra (bearing in mind that the Exclusive with leather and everything was STILL cheaper than the DS3 I was contemplating - I'd just rather save the money).

In a perfect world, I'd have an A3 Cabriolet for not much more on contract hire, but I'd need a boring car for carrying stuff. This way is better; I'm already thinking about what classic I want, if I want a CX, or a cheapie MX5/MGF for summer, or another 500 SL - or maybe a Herald/Vitesse. Who knows. I can do so without having to angst about it or justify it, or be stressed if it's being repaired.
Trainman   
Mon Jan 24 2011, 10:47am

Member No: #86
Richard,

I don't know if this will intrest you but worth a look......

1995 Green XM 2.0CT MANUAL Exclusive 126k miles - Click Here -
tonyrome   
Wed Jan 26 2011, 08:08pm
Member No: #15
OK, so now I appreciate your decision was based primarily on getting the best deal from Citroen in exchange for the C6 and avoiding a long, drawn-out private sale. It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with the C3. As you say, at least the dealers should be able to cope with it. I can also agree with you about the expectation level factor. That's probably why I've been disappointed by the C6, actually. It's not that it's a bad car, far from it, but I had high expectations and it hasn't quite lived up to them.

I also think Citroen should have used the DS3 LEDs on the C3, it would have made the front much smarter. There are some big discounts available at the moment but I suspect that's mostly down to unrealistic list prices (er, where have I heard that before? ). I specced a C3 1.6HDi with 17s, nav, leather & visibility pack and nearly fell off my chair when it came to £20K!
capt109   
Thu Jan 27 2011, 07:36pm
Member No: #47
Try one of the new Audi A1's its crazy

AutoCar have a Merc S class on test at the moment with I think around £30K of extras!

The option prices are getting crazy from a lot of manufacturers.
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 28 2011, 08:13am

Member No: #1
There's a special edition DS3 coming out (Orla Kiely), haven't seen a price yet but expect they will be a lot more than the equivalent C3 - Click Here -
Website
michaelb   
Fri Jan 28 2011, 08:42am
Member No: #14
C6Dave wrote ...

There's a special edition DS3 coming out (Orla Kiely),

OMG
RichardKC6   
Thu Feb 17 2011, 04:58pm
Just thought I'd pop in for an update - what I thought were quality issues on the C3 are actually running changes - they're all getting chrome mirror bases and tinted rear windows now!

And the badging is also correct - every Citroen I've looked at since carries the model designation on the driver's side C pillar only. However, the dealer provided me with two Aidream+ badges and I've fitted them myself after they said they had no fitting guide for them so it was all "by eye" anyway - not that I felt they'd do it badly, but I was happy to take the time to measure it up.

All the other Airdream+ models I've seen are badged as VT here.

I've now done about 800 miles in it, and I love it - took it into London and had no fears driving it in the city, even parked outside The Harlequin whilst meeting some people there. Getting just shy of 60mpg, but not hanging about at all.

Still got the rear footwell mat and mudflaps for the C6, and finally managed to deliver the boot mat - sorry it took so long Steve!

Got the change of owner thing for the C6 and it's not on their used car site, so maybe it's found an owner already! Somewhere C6 RTK will be plying the roads again and hopefully the new owner will be more satisfied with it.
RichardKC6   
Sat May 28 2011, 12:57pm
Just thought I'd update this, as I know some people will have been expecting many tales of woe with my next Citroën! We've now moved house so are near Leicester, sold the last bits of the C6 (the spare brand-new rear mudflaps went for a penny, to France!).

The C3 has been fantastic. I can't fault it really; there's a small trim buzz in the door occasionally, but it drives really nicely, good balance of comfort and handling, the engine is awesome, nothing's broken or failed on it yet. Now heading rapidly for 5,000 miles, best MPG I've had is 72.8 when driving Kidderminster to Darlington and sticking to 70/HGV speeds when the restrictions or congestion were in force.

Naturally I get bored easily, so it has a friend (the MGF's gone, I fixed it up and then didn't really have time to enjoy it).

I do still look at C6s when I see them (rarely), and wonder where C6 RTK is now (and if they've kept the plate on it!). They are good too look at, I miss having such an impressive car sometimes, but all I have to do is remember the experience of it and feel a lot happier.

The savings in tax etc. will probably pay for the Ro80 to be sorted - need a water pump and a new radiator, then a bit of welding. It's a long-term thing.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club