Worth advertising it?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
RichardKC6   
Wed Jan 12 2011, 10:29am
Member No: #49
drummond wrote ...

We've got a Mazda MX 5, which cost £21000 3 years ago, 32000 miles. "Value", according to insurers, is about £8000. About 37%

I'm certain that the C6 is actually good "value" for a big car, providing it's bought secondhand......discuss!

My RX8's list price was £21,500
Contract hire was about £7000 in total over 2 years.
Used value was £9000 (after two years).

The interesting bit was that at the time, one of the car supermarkets was doing the exact same RX8 for £17,500 - due to a fire at the factory, a whole load of orders came to the UK at once long after the buyers had gone elsewhere.

The C6 is excellent value for a big car, new or secondhand, but as an ownership proposition it's brilliant value if you get pre-reg and keep it a while, much better than a Bentley Continental GT (which will lose £70,000+ in 5-6 years). I just don't like the way it drives and don't like the dealer experiences I've had.
RichardKC6   
Thu Jan 13 2011, 04:47pm
Looks like it'll be going after the weekend - the warranty gets wiped out by the dealer apparently! You can transfer to a private buyer, but dealers lose it to resell a new one to the new buyer. Going to retain the number in case I get a Corvette one day

DS3 is a white with black roof, black and white leather (white dash), 1.6 16v and lots of gadgets like cruise/auto wipers/parking sensors/climate and so forth. Not pre-reg, but also not build to order, it's also got wheels otherwise unavailable on the configurator as they swapped the black and diamond ones from a customer's order when the customer didn't like what they'd got.

I'll miss the style and "aura" of the C6. It's harder to let go than I thought!
tonyrome   
Fri Jan 14 2011, 11:07am
Member No: #15
RichardKC6 wrote ...
They can cook the books however they like...

It's not just a case of 'cooking the books'. There's always strong demand at the start of a new car's life, from fans of the marque, for example. Plenty of early cars, from 2005/6, would have been sold at close to the list price. Big discounts weren't available. It was only later, when the initial demand had gone and there was over-supply, that the prices plummeted from list.

RichardKC6 wrote ...
The 3.0 HDi is currently something of an exception

Hmm, conveniently an exception because it proves the point I was making! It's not an exception anyway - see below.

RichardKC6 wrote ...
and Broadspeed were knocking out 3.0HDis for £29,000, almost £10K off list

You're wrong. Broadspeed don't have cars to sell. They simply go to dealers with a deposit from a customer and try to negotiate the best price. The price they quoted was just a 'guide' price to get customer's interested. I checked them out thoroughly and they couldn't get a 3.0HDi with any discount at all - because no dealers had them to sell, being special order only - and eventually dropped the entire offer from their web site.

RichardKC6 wrote ...
So, I'm not saying PCClark's price paid has no bearing, but we can't tell how that car will depreciate.

A low mileage one came up for sale a few months ago and had already dropped £15K in a year. It's still for sale. So, no improvement in either depreciation or demand. They'll need to drop the price even lower to get a sale, which just proves the point I was making, horrific depreciation despite rarity and despite low mileage.
RichardKC6   
Fri Jan 14 2011, 11:45am
I don't call 100 cars or so "strong demand" - but regardless, I didn't IMO experience strong depreciation. Still a waste of money IMO as I didn't enjoy the car half as much as I'd have enjoyed £12K worth of CXs or XMs over the same period.

So, the 3.0HDi suffers horrible depreciation, the 2.7HDis that form the bulk of the sales don't, and the handful of early ones did. Guess I got the right model!

I do consider the 3.0HDi an exception. There is a big difference between a model of car imported in large numbers for stock and sold "for the price it will fetch" and a car available to special order only. I just can't understand why anyone would ever pay £38K for a C6 - the car is inferior to almost anything else at that money and the dealer support and network is shocking.

At the £24K mine actually cost at the point it went from the dealer to the end user, it's a very different equation.
RichardKC6   
Sat Jan 15 2011, 01:53pm
Deal done, but not for the DS3 (too "boy racer - the associated club forum (not Dave's) made my brain melt with the sheer illiteracy. Gone for a C3 Airdream+; I'll spend the savings on the dull, reliable new car on an XM/CX/MX5/other car I actually LIKE.

(This is not to say I didn't like the C3 - I did. Nice 1.6HDi, massive windscreen - just a bit basic. Considered going for a fully loaded Exclusive build to order, but it's a small, uninteresting car - no sense paying more than absolutely necessary).
C6Dave   
Sat Jan 15 2011, 03:44pm

Member No: #1
That will be the DS3 sports club then which is a spin off from the C2 club which is why I started DS3owners.......

Anyway, the C3 and DS3 are the same car under the skin as I said before, but there is less of a 'premium' on the C3

When is the C6 going?
Website
RichardKC6   
Sat Jan 15 2011, 07:10pm
C6 is off next week - I'm even leaving the private plate on it, I'll never need a "C6" plate again

In the end, the breakdown of the cost to change and get out of the C6 Elect 3 early was pretty impressive. From my initial enquiries on the DS3s I was looking at paying huge amounts more despite the stronger residuals (and I'm not sure the white/black/leather one I was looking at was wholly kosher - they said it was a DStyle, but it had no chrome grille/bumper; I think it was a specced-up DSign), the point reached on the C3 was:

Discounts and incentives on the from-stock, unregistered C3 Airdream+ that were > the negative equity on the C6 - and the C6 tradein was £11K. (I got over £3,600 off my C3).

Various handy things built in to the C3 deal - like 3 year servicing.

£85/month cheaper than the DS3 1.6VTi
Free road tax
Congestion Charge free
Mats, fuel, flaps - usual stuff.

And the last bit - the residual - is WAY more realistic than the inflated DS3 ones. About £5K. I reckon the tax-free, economical diesel C3 will be worth more than £5000 when it's 3 years, 30,000 miles old.

It is still not "me", but it's cheap, new, inoffensive and very pleasant to drive and be in and will leave budget free for a classic or two; more importantly I'll be inclined to use it where I was just leaving the C6 in the garage - since RotaryBri looked at it in what, August, the C6 had done about 300 miles.

Don't get me wrong about the DS3 - I liked many aspects of it - but it's so much the wrong car for me. It'd be like me wearing a shellsuit instead of pinstripes.

As someone who really hates modern cars, the option of "paying as little as possible for the required transport" is appealing. The C3's big windscreen trick makes it more than just the required transport; I really enjoyed driving it for the test drive.

EDIT: And of course, I now have to decide what to do with my C6 press pack, brochures, 1:18 Norev model, unused USB socket spare rear mudflaps, possibly boot liner and genuine rear mat. Do I leave them in the car?
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 16 2011, 09:21am

RichardKC6 wrote ...

EDIT: And of course, I now have to decide what to do with my C6 press pack, brochures, 1:18 Norev model, unused USB socket spare rear mudflaps, possibly boot liner and genuine rear mat. Do I leave them in the car?

No, either someone here will want them or they can go on eBay to recoup a bit more cash and make the deal even better

I would take the press pack if you PM me the details
Website
smorphet   
Sun Jan 16 2011, 12:57pm
Member No: #88
And I would be interested in the rear mats and boot liner.
Trainman   
Sun Jan 16 2011, 04:51pm

Member No: #86
and I could be intreseted in the Norev model
RichardKC6   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 10:42am
Okay, I shall gather up the bits and have a think - postage is the nuisance bit for bigger things.

The Norev model is in Aluminium Grey with Black interior - they're insanely detailed, make the Bburago one (which is an annoying 1:20 scale anyway) look like a toy. All four doors open and the door bins work. It's boxed, but been on display so might have dust in the shutlines. I've got a 1:18 Solido XM which I'll probably shove on eBay too, my collection of "owned cars" is all 1:43.

If anyone wants the C6 RTK number, then I'll put it on retention in a given name/address/nominee for £200 - that's £125 (I think?) of retention and assignment fees, and a little bit for my time to go to the VRO and hang about doing the paperwork - but I'd need to do that today to get the C6 documents back in a reasonable time.
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 01:15pm

I'm happy to pay for postage etc. for the launch pack Richard, just let me know what's available and the cost and I'll Paypal it to you.
Website
RichardKC6   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 01:27pm
I paid 19 Euro for the press pack including postage - I also have a set of brochures; I think I paid a fiver for one and the others I had already, including an Autocar reprint.

£20 including postage for the lot? The press pack is a sort of semi-rigid brochure and a CD-ROM - there's a slight crease in the pack cover from postage before.

The Norev car I'd do for £35 including post.

Rear footwell mat (black, btw, not cream - they go the full width of the footwell unlike the third party ones, and it's always had some third party mats on top of it - I reckon it's only had people stand on it a handful of times anyway) and genuine bootliner I'd do for £60 including post (and would include the unused rear mudflaps with - they're in a squashed box but have instructions and fitting kit). The issue with the bootliner is that I'll need to fold it - I've got a box from a new aerial I fitted to the house that I should be able to get it in safely.

USB socket - ready for adding USB to an RT4 car with 8.11 firmware, and needing one of the USB leads from Citroen or eBay - I will include with one of the other items for the first person to say they want it.

Looks like I get the new car on Friday/Saturday, and will no doubt be spending the first evening in the garage giving it a good wax - having elected not to pay £400 for a polish treatment thing.
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 03:58pm

PM sent for a PayPal address Richard
Website
RichardKC6   
Mon Jan 17 2011, 04:34pm
Press pack and bits sold, paid for, and heading out tomorrow Thanks Dave!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club