C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Brake Servo Possibility of Oil Contamination

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 09:03am
Member No: #21
Having just suffered complete loss of the Brake Booster / Servo on another diesel Citroen vehicle, I'm now a bit more cautious as to possibility of oil carryover from the vacuum pump (fitted to diesels).

The Landrover vehicles fitted with the same 2.7 Diesel engine as the C6 have been subject to a safety recall programme P017 for this problem. This has necessitated replacement of non return valves, vacuum pumps, brake boosters and even brake master cylinders if the engine oil contamination has got as far as the hydraulic seals in the master cylinder. Does anyone know if the same vacuum pump is fitted to the Citroen 2.7V6 diesel and is fitted to the the Landrover installation? The dates for the Landrover recall are 2005 to 2009, ie the same period as per Citroen 2.7 HDi production.

Does anyone know of any checks that the dealers are carrying out on Citroen C6s to guard against this oil contamination.

For my money, I would suggst that the pipe that runs between the vacuum pump and the brake booster is removed and blown through with clean compressed air and checked for the presence of any engine oil. (perhaps a pipe with a transparent section would be better so that any contamination could be spotted from a pure visual inspection).

For information, the vacuum pumps are sliding vane pumps with the vanes deliberated lubricated by engine oil. The air inlet to the vacuum pump has a non return valve (just a ball on seat assisted by a light spring) to guard against oil migration back into the servo.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 09:18am
See link, quite a few BMWs are affected by this as well. (Presumably even their gasoline powered cars need vacuum pumps due to low vacuum levels with their throttle free induction systems)

- Click Here -

A google indicates Lexus similarly affected.

Look at the letter from Landrover to their customers with a full and frank explanation of the issues. Their fix is belt and braces with an additional non return valve fitted to the brake vacuum pipe. Ie we were always taught as part of HAZOP preparations never ever to rely on a single type of Non Return Valve in a safety critical situation
- Click Here -

Not much comfort if trying to stop 2 tonnes of car without any power assistance. Automatic won't help either.

Regards
G
Trainman   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 10:00am

Member No: #86
gmerry wrote ...
Having just suffered complete loss of the Brake Booster / Servo on another diesel Citroen vehicle, I'm now a bit more cautious as to possibility of oil carryover from the vacuum pump (fitted to diesels).

Gerry,

I've pinched this from the CCC, don't know if anyone is aware of it.....

Notice for Model : C4, C4 Picasso, C5 & Dispatch II owners.

Owners are getting their letters today/this week, but in case you don't…

From the VOSA site, dated 17th Dec 2010.

Vehicle Details
Reference : R/2010/223
Manufacturer Ref : MGG
Make: CITROEN
Model : C4, C4 Picasso, C5 & Dispatch II
Launch Date : 17/12/2010
Numbers Involved : 20063
Build Start Date : 21/12/2006
Build End Date : 27/03/2009

Recall Details
Concern : BRAKING ASSISTANCE MAY NOT PERFORM CORRECTLY

Description : In very rare circumstances the vacuum pump one way valve may not function correctly which could affect the level of braking assistance.

Remedial Action : Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to replace the brake vacuum pump one way valve.

Vehicle Id :
VF7******13319991 to VF7******9Z012710
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 10:13am

Member No: #1
As it affects C4's and C4 Picassos it has been posted over at C4owners in the recall guide - Click Here - and in the forums there

As for the C6 there was a recall Reference: R/2008/163 which is listed: - Click Here - for oil in the brake servo circuit which potentially affected 9398 cars and which my car had the work carried out for along with R/2009/121 so Citroen are on top of the issue

@gmerry you need to get your dealer to check the Citroen database to ensure that recall R/2008/163 (YKB) was carried out if it was relevant to your car
Website
gmerry   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 10:50am
Dave, not sure that I fully agree that Citroen or their dealers to be more exact, are on
top of this problem.

I purchased a brand new Citroen diesel. I had it serviced by the dealer from whom I purchased it.

I have had a complete loss of brake servo with attended near miss (accident).

The repairing dealer said its not down to a safety recall when clearly the non return valve has allowed oil contamination to happen. (same description of symptoms as covered by numerous different safety recalls)

Citroen UK have not been helpful!

The safety recall compared to the Landrover equivalent to their customers is completely inadequate in terms of describing what they will modify tto prevent the fault ocurring in the rest of the vehicle's life and does not describe what they will rectify if oil contamination is found and does not even describe what inspections will be carried out.

We might agree to disagree on this one!
gmerry   
Tue Jan 11 2011, 01:13pm
Trainman, thanks for reminding me of MGG recall. I have not received this notification, even though owner from new etc. I did take the vehicle back to the dealer on the 24th and asked them if there were any recalls (didn't know about MGG) that would cover affected parts.

Ta
G
dieselnutjob   
Wed Aug 30 2017, 01:37pm
Member No: #3255
Hi,

I have just suffered from brake servo failure on a Jaguar XJ 2.7 diesel (year 2006) and so I have been researching this a bit.
Landrover did a recall on Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sport with the 2.7 diesel engine.
The recall involved changing the pump, and I have also seen pictures on the Disco3 forum that involved a replacement pipe with a second non return valve.

There was also a recall on the C6 2.7 diesel, but I don't know what Citroen actually did. Can anyone point me in the direction of any TSB, or tell me what Citroen did to any recalled vehicles?

You can see the recalls on dft.gov.uk

I need to figure out how to approach Jaguar because the XJ and S-Type have exactly the same vacuum pump and therefore I believe should also be recalled, but for whatever reason Jaguar didn't do this.

thanks for any help.
C6Dave   
Wed Aug 30 2017, 05:45pm

Member No: #1
@dieselnutjob Go to - Click Here - and look at recalls R/2008/022 & R/2008/163 and possibly R/2009/121 which are all brake related recalls on the C6.
Website
Hattershaun   
Wed Aug 30 2017, 09:52pm
Member No: #320
My first C6, a 2005 built 2.7HDi, had a recall carried out for the brake servo.
I believe it involved replacing the small vacuum pipes and some of the clips holding them in place to prevent them rubbing.
dieselnutjob   
Thu Aug 31 2017, 11:00am
Member No: #3255
According to the Landrover guys there is a non return valve inside the vacuum pump, and the recall on Landrovers is to change a ball, spring and washer inside the pump (without even removing it from the vehicle), and a replacement pipe which appears to have a secondary non return valve integrated into the pipe.

This does correlate with the text of the Citroen recall "Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected to replace the vacuum circuit valve and pipe which link the vacuum pump to the brake amplifier."

Does that sound about right?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club