Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Own more than 1 car - do you understand the implications of proposed new motor insuranceregulations?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 09 2011, 08:02pm

Member No: #1
The UK Government is proposing new regulations to try and put an end to uninsured drivers.

New proposals which may be in effect by March will mean it will be illegal to keep a vehicle off road without insurance.

If you don't use a vehicle and it's off road then you will need to follow same process as per road tax and complete a SORN declaration to be exempt.

The reasoning behind it is that having no insurance is only an offence once a driver gets into a car, not declaring an insurance SORN will mean that you could be liable to a fixed penalty of £100, but the maximum penalty can be £1,000 and 8 penalty points if you own a car that's not insured.

Worst case scenario for uninsured cars, same as untaxed cars, they could be seized and crushed

It will all be policed via the DVLA accessing insurance company records and matching off vehicle owners, road tax and insurance.

Keep a look out for more info if you have an historic car that's currently not on the road.

I know a lot of genuine enthusiasts will have cover for their cars, on road or not, but maybe not the required 3rd party cover level so you need to make sure you don't fall foul of the proposed new regulations.
Website
verycleverman   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 02:56am
Member No: #65
I've just looked into this and it's clearly laid out in this leaflet - Click Here -
Providing your uninsured vehicle is declared SORN, you shouldn't have any problems.

Pete.
drummond   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 09:12am
Member No: #238
I had 11 classic cars (all Citroens!) and one of the reasons I downsized was SORN. It got too much to have the post-72 ones on SORN or taxed, and with the MOT annually as well I was going to the MOT station once a month!

I've a house in France, and I moved some of them there, particularly the 2cv's (easy to adjust the headlights), and the CT is every 2 years.

And yes, I got caught once! Six months after the due date, I received a £25(?) fine and six months' back tax- I wrote paying the fine and arguing the tax, and heard nothing more.

I assume that some people are going to get royally caught by this, particularly those with a large number of pre 72 cars which previously have been exempt from anything if off the road. And how will the State catch those who have never reregistered their pre 72 cars?
Abroad, it's different- the windscreen sticker giving the insurance details is ubiquitous. And here???!!
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 10 2011, 09:28am

Member No: #1
verycleverman wrote ...

I've just looked into this and it's clearly laid out in this leaflet - Click Here -
Providing your uninsured vehicle is declared SORN, you shouldn't have any problems.

Pete.

Thanks for the link, I couldn't find it yesterday.

The whole point is that Insurance wasn't required before if a car is off the road, in future it will be unless declared as part of the revised SORN . It's a subtle change that will catch people out.

From early 2011, if it appears from the database comparison that a vehicle has no insurance or no SORN, a letter will be sent to the registered keeper.

If the keeper takes no action, the keeper faces:

a fixed penalty fine of £100

court prosecution and be fined up to £1,000 - having the vehicle clamped, seized and destroyed
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club