Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Weather 'chaos' - why can't the government make up its mind?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
RichardKC6   
Wed Dec 22 2010, 04:54pm
Member No: #49
The only argument I have against buying winter tyres for my C6 is this:

(Been playing with an M9 )

Whilst it's obviously got running costs associated, it has one major advantage (and several minor ones) over winter tyres on the C6. If I DO lose it on sheet ice and hit something, I don't care. I don't feel bad getting into it with snow all over my boots. I don't mind giving lifts to random people who might also have snow on their boots, slam the door, drag bags on the seats etc. It's not only tough and cheap, it's carefree.

It's worth less than four new tyres and steel rims (even at £75 for the rims) and I'm incredibly chilled when driving it.

TBH, there are loads of cheap 4x4 cars out there; I happen to think the XJ is the best value/size/capability (in 4.0 form - the four-bangers not only have horrid engines, they lack the full-time 4WD that makes dealing with slush so easy) but there are Fronteras, Honda HR-Vs, the bigger Grand Cherokees and clunky old Discoveries and so forth for banger money, and you get to not only drive, but protect your prestige car from not only salt and the elements but also other road users and the very occasional, completely unavoidable mishap.
C6Dave   
Wed Dec 22 2010, 06:45pm

Member No: #1
I don't feel bad getting into it with snow all over my boots. I don't mind giving lifts to random people who might also have snow on their boots, slam the door, drag bags on the seats etc.

Those were basically are behind our decision to get rid of the Pug 207cc and get a C-Crosser. OK it's probably worth as much as the C6 (possibly more this weather) but we wanted something a bit more 'modern' and a lot of the 'cheap' 4x4's out there are prone to expensive breakdowns (fall apart)

We were running a second car anyway and the running costs are about the same.

We just had to lay out some cash to do the trade up, but I have got to places, and ferried family to work who would otherwise not have made it over the past few days.
Website
arnie   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 12:54am
Member No: #190
I really am sorry to have caused any financial offence. You are all right off course no one should live beyond their means, and i don"t, my main reason for buying a c6 was simple, its beautiful to look at, be in and drive and i don"t find it any more costly than my previous car a pug 807.
Winter tyres ? still not convinced but open minded on the subject.
Thanks for the straight talking!!
datmbn   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 06:09am
Member No: #193
Some of you says I have 4 while drive so i don't need winter tires but i think you miss something.

The main reason to have winter tires is braking distance and cornering ability so you need winter tires regardless of how many wheels you spin.

Some years ago before the tire law came in Sweden we had exactly the same discussion as her and i was one of the summer tire users (living i Gotenburg not much snow like UK) but once on winter tiers i am convinced.

her is some facts
with summer tires

Always remember that icy roads:

- is twice as slippery as snow-covered roads!

- is four times as slippery as wet or slushy roads!

- is eight times as slippery as dry roads!

This mens that with summer tiers you will get an stop distance of about 400 meters on an icy highway.

regards Mats.
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 08:12am

Member No: #1
We are not saying we don't need them Matts, mine has all weather tyres on, not as good as winter ones for braking and yes you can make the car slide, but you just need to drive to the prevailing conditions

The real benefit is deep or compacted snow. Locked in 4wd the car goes where others simply don't.
Website
RichardKC6   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 11:47am
datmbn wrote ...

Some of you says I have 4 while drive so i don't need winter tires but i think you miss something.

I don't think that I don't need winter tyres because I have 4 wheel drive. I think I don't need winter tyres for my C6, but can benefit from a Jeep for two reasons primarily:

1: The Jeep already has M+S tyres on it, not quite perfect but good enough; and ice is ice - short of illegal (IIRC) studded tyres, it's going to be an issue.

2: Winter tyres for the Jeep are WAY cheaper than C6 tyres, and there are plentiful secondhand sets of rims (my main hangup being that if I buy another set, I'm hoping to get ones that aren't so knackered; they get really bad lacquer peel).

Winter tyres on the C6 wouldn't address my worries about damaging, messing up or otherwise making inappropriate use of the big Cit. I can drive it fine in snow, and did last year when my spare cars were knackered (including a 700 mile round trip with a second of Borders backroads as the main road was closed) - it's the tough and disposable nature of the Jeep that makes it a winning choice for me.

I think this is part of my issue with the C6 in general. I'm no longer in a place or group when my car functions as a lekking device; there's no prestige to be gained or cared about, there's no talking point, there's no interest to be had. If I distill what I truly want out of a car the C6 is miles from it, as it doesn't drive like a CX or XM. So making any effort to use it in less than ideal conditions makes absolutely no sense - I don't care if clients see me getting out of a smashed up, filthy old Jeep, they're not paying for what I drive.

The difference between that now, and me in the '90s when I had the same attitude and belted around in a 1972 FE Victor, is that I have a track record rather than relying heavily on first impressions. Whilst I might think different, the people I liased with then didn't, and I think a torn-jeans, long-haired '70s car-driving kid talking tech and listening to Pulp did not make the right impression even when the work side of things was exactly what they wanted.
datmbn   
Thu Dec 23 2010, 12:22pm
I am sorry if i have offended someone thats not my meaning (both of you that unserved already have m+s tires witch is far better then summer tires)
If you don't use the car when ice snow and frost on the road i think you can use what ever tires you like.
I use my C6 as my every day car so i must have winter tires, and i think that it is cheaper in the long run.
I payed the same price for the C6 as an 2 eyers older ordinary Volvo v70 wold cost. and it have similar running costs.

regards Mats
RichardKC6   
Fri Dec 24 2010, 12:05am
no offence taken! Cars in Britain are essentially worthless; my Jeep is worth about £500; TBH I suspect it'll fail the next MOT and be worth scrap value - but even a really good, 10 year old, 60K miles one is about £2K.

I'd much rather have a two years older V70 than my C6. I loved my old 850 2.5 20v, but it was a 170K miles dog of a car; I'd get far more use from an estate car.
datmbn   
Thu Jan 13 2011, 05:49am
To day it was written in our local newspaper that Gatvick has orderd 20 units from our local industry "Holms"
- Click Here - so hopefully they get an better snow removal next year.

regards Mats
tonyrome   
Thu Jan 13 2011, 12:53pm
Member No: #15
datmbn wrote ...
To day it was written in our local newspaper that Gatvick has orderd 20 units from our local industry "Holms" so hopefully they get an better snow removal next year.

Looking at that catalogue, they may just have purchased 20 ploughs to fit to the front of tractors! I was hoping for something a bit more impressive than that!
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club