C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Greetings from the Midlands

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
DaveB   
Thu Jan 21 2010, 10:13pm
Member No: #17
Evening folks and greetings from the Midlands.

I must congratulate C6Dave on starting this web sight – like other owners here I too have been spending many hours researching the next car to buy and have considered and driven all the German brand's equivalent vehicles but none of them really grabbed me. I've always liked the C6 but real owner information/experience is thin on the ground and there is a considerable level of uncertainty surrounding it mainly from the sheep who make 'safe' vehicle choices.

About a year ago I test drove both a 2.7 and 2.2 C6. I liked them both in there own ways. The 2.2 was surprisingly willing, bright and frugal. I have to agree with some of the comments on the forum relating to tyre noise in that the higher profile tyres with smaller diameter wheels fitted to the 2.2 were quieter. The trade off though was that the handling felt less sharp. On balance I prefer the larger tyres which really suit the style of the car. The 2.7 is also much more suited to the nature of the car.

So - 2 weeks ago I bought a low mileage 12k 2006 2.7 Exclusive (pictures attached) but the snow conditions meant that it took a further frustrating week to finally arrive on my driveway. One week further on and absolutely everything works fine and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. What a way to travel. Even the kids love it - “its cool and relaxing”. I picked up my two young girls from dancing tonight they both jumped straight in the back, reclined the rear seats all the way and put the seat heaters on – I had to wake them up when when I got home, perfect.

Reading through the forum threads two of the most common frustrations relate to boot space and road noise (for a car in this class). The small boot is largely a function of the vehicle's unique proportions which I think are stunning - for me this car was a very personal choice and the styling was a very big part of this. To try and reduce this inconvenience for the times when more space is needed I plan to investigate the purchase of a suitably styled roof box which can also be used on my wife's car.

I personally believe that a very large proportion of the road noise that is there, which is not a lot, is down to the tyres. I had a VSX Xantia for many years which had a similar problem – of slightly higher road noise on certain surfaces. After a lot of investigation I changed the tyres to ones that had a slightly softer side wall. This not only made the car quieter but also significantly reduced harsh inputs from road rumble strips. Any one had any similar experience or tried alternative tyres on their C6?

Any other owners in the Midlands ? – the cars may need to talk.

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club