NO START : STOP/ SERVICE and 3 long blue lights

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
citroenroen1   
Sun Apr 21 2024, 09:24pm
Member No: #5495
Hello from Los Angeles,
I ran my C6 up on ramps yesterday (in high position) to change oil.
C6 was running / starting fine without problems.
I unplugged my faulty emergency brake motor ( by the fuel tank) and undid fixing bolts in order to take a picture of E-brake motor part number and then remounted it and plugged it back in.
I went to start C6, but STARTER WOULDN'T engage ! (Battery is good! )
STOP / SERVICE ( brake failure) had appeared on dashboard as well as 3 long blue lights below the tachometer, flashing green headlight indicator, and brake failure light flashing rapidly .
C6 is stuck on ramps in high position. (LDS fluid level checked previously and no leaks ).
May I ask for direction / insight from group wisdom how to overcome BRAKE FAILURE to start engine? (and to get it off ramps and out of high position) .
No Citroen Service available on this side of the pond.

C6Dave   
Mon Apr 22 2024, 09:29am

Member No: #1
One does wonder how a C6 ended up in LA but....

1. have you got access to 'Lexia/Diagbox' (Citroens dedicated tool) or failing that a 'generic' code reader to see what fault codes are stored onboard?

I'm going to assume not, so personally (and it might not be the right way but atm you have few options) I would disconnect the battery, then unplug the connectors to the handbrake (emergency) motor (and anything else you had apart), clean them with electrical contact cleaner, re assemble making sure everything is fully home and secure.

Finally, reconnect the battery and let the car run through the self test procedure before attempting to start again.

You can release the brake manually:

Website
citroenroen1   
Wed Apr 24 2024, 04:50am
Hello c6 Dave !
Thank you for your reply :
Sadly , nothing works at this moment : my Scanner shows brake failure : how do I check the C6 electric hydraulic motor : is there a fuse of relay ?

Just so you know, I turn on the ignition, but starter motor will not engage. NOTHING works : windows , blower : connections at broke E- brake motor are clean.
E-brake was broken / not functional when car came to me a 3 months ago. That was only item showing up in ALERT LOG in C6 center screen .
Center display immediately shows ENTERING ECONOMY MODE and then turns off.

I am looking for ideas about why STOP / SERVICE lights appeared and why odometer has gone blank. and where else to look for my no crank / no start condition.

NO Lexia yet .... but working on that WHich Diagbox? v7.57 or V7.62 is best ?

My scanner shows BSI (built in systems interface) fault : brake fliud level (level too low) but I know this is not the case.
The other faults all read "SPEED INFORMATION FAULT; RESISTANCE TOO LOW"

IS any of this helpful to guide me in the correct direction?
citroenroen1   
Wed Apr 24 2024, 04:53am
"let the car run through the self test procedure before attempting to start again."
How long does this take? How long should I wait?
c6kev   
Wed Apr 24 2024, 08:25am
Member No: #1508
I suspect that some of your "faults" are a result of Citroen's overzealous power saving mode. Normally, these would be overcome by starting the engine.

Fortunately, there is an alternative. In the glove box fuse box, you will find a jumper "fuse". If you move this to its alternative position, labelled "garage" (I think), power saving mode will be disabled. Many of the simple functions (radio, courtesy lights, central locking) will be disabled EXCEPT when the ignition is turned on. This should give you access to the error messages on the central display, but will very likely also give you control of the parking brake.

Be aware that in "Garage" mode, the car can only be locked with the key and the 3 keyless doors will only be locked if the key is used within about ten minutes of turning the ignition off. Also, the boot can only be opened with the ignition on.

You say that your battery is healthy. My experience over ten years with my C6 is that a healthy battery can be drawn down to a level at which the starter will not engage in a very short period of time (during an oil change for instance). Every time a door is opened, the entire electronic system wakes up for around ten minutes, drawing a significant load from the battery. Using the "Garage" jumper will overcome this problem at the expense of needing to reset the clock at the end of the job. At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, I would recommend a full battery charge or a powerful jump pack before looking for anything more sinister.

Good luck,

Kevin
cruiserphil   
Wed Apr 24 2024, 09:41am

Member No: #38
Hello Citroenroen1,

Is there a way you could put an ammeter on the positive lead from the battery? Or release the negative terminal and touching it off the negative battery post to see what strength spark you get with ignition off and on. The spark should be a tickle, nothing dramatic.

If you're battery is good, a possibility is that you have a fault on the car pulling down the terminal voltage. C6's do not tolerate low voltage and the dash display will disappear with countless faults being logged from ECU's all over the car.

Best regards,

Phil C.
citroenroen1   
Sun Apr 28 2024, 05:06pm
Thank you Cruiserphil and c6Kev for your helpful replies.
I replaced the 100 AH BATTERY this week (to eliminate that question) with the best quality battery I could find.

On Wednesday,
With new battery still not connected ,
I fiddled with the 2 plastic (are these for adjustments?) nuts on the E-brake cables : I cleaned the connector plug and receptacle to the e-brake motor thoroughly and plugged it back in.

The C6 is still on front ramps.

My C6 started fine and all the faults had disappeared : the E-brake worked for the first time since I have had my C6. I operated it several times .

On Friday, when I started C6 , E-brake fault (Yellow triangled P warning light) was there again.
QUESTION IS : what had I done right on Wednesday?
Why did E-brake fault return ?

Where else should I look to remedy this situation?
(The e-brake motor worked perfectly on Wednesday.)

C6Dave   
Sun Apr 28 2024, 06:48pm

Member No: #1
citroenroen1 wrote ...

My C6 started fine and all the faults had disappeared : the E-brake worked for the first time since I have had my C6. I operated it several times .

On Friday, when I started C6 , E-brake fault (Yellow triangled P warning light) was there again.

QUESTION IS : what had I done right on Wednesday?
Why did E-brake fault return ?

Where else should I look to remedy this situation?
(The e-brake motor worked perfectly on Wednesday.)

If you read the parking brake unit replacement guide - Click Here - it does say that there are a few things to do afterward which require Lexia or Diagbox and it may be down to 'calibration'
Website
citroenroen1   
Sun Apr 28 2024, 06:59pm
Thank you for your post.
Sadly , I do not yet have Lexia ... I have been trying to buy the correct Lexia diagnostic tool from UK companies for some time .

WHAT can I do in the event that I am without Lexia / Diagbox?

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club