Wanted a C6 since they came out... 18 years later I got one

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ilimzn   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 01:15am
Member No: #5418
Hello Everyone,

I am from a small town near the capital of Croatia, Zagreb.

Almost 30 years ago I bought my very first Citroen and it was an XM... I always liked the idea of big hydropneumatic Citroens and once I experienced it (not without pitfalls, it was a used and not really maintained car!) I could never go back. I have driven many assorted vehicles logging a ttoal of about 1M km of driving so far, but my personal vehicles remained hydropneumatic Citroens. Heck, I even co-wrote a web published book on the topic
Xantia was next as a bridge car to whatever came next after the XM was discontinued, but I ended up driving it for over 300000km because the generation 1 C5 did not cut it and the C6 was far out of budget but always a wish.
Next came the C5-x7 which I have now driven for 230000km.
Since I now have a 24/7/365 company car, I do not drive my own that much and decided look 'if there were any C6s available'. To be honest, I was more trying to convince myself not to buy one (anecdote coming up!) but found an oddly cheap 2007 one with 166000 real km on the clock right here in Zagreb, which is VERY rare. Mostly they have done at least 250000, and some approaching 400000. So... I made the error of driving it. And then took almost 2 months trying to coinvince myself I did not need the aggravation of a used fairly high miles top of the line rare and complicated Citroen, which usually means driven with no maintenance. After all, I am not a 20-something guy with time and a garage on hand any more...
So, there was a Cit dealership close by where it was being sold, so I asked the owners (used car dealer) if I can have it do a check-up, since the dealership offers this service. When I checked with them, the guy on the other end asked me which model it was, and when I told him it was a C6, there was first silence, and then he asked 'may I ask, why you want to buy that particular car?' I told him 'because I have owned HP Citroens for the last 30 years and have become crazy that way' and he replied, 'I understand your situation completely'.
The car was hardly driven for almost 4 years. It was bought from a leasing house, and then Covid came, it had done less than 1000km from mid 2019 to mid 2023. I know, this can mean all sorts of problems. But the engine ran smooth (which is not common with that mileage), the interior was in very good shape, all the essentials worked fine, it drove ok... but given the big service mile interval just came and it was at that point 17 years old, which means it should have been done at least 7 years ago, it would needed everything done, including tires which were 8 years old.
Let's face it, no-one ever bought a C6 because they needed 'a car'. I suspect every C6 was, and especially now is, bought because whoever is buying wants THAT car, not 'A' car. No-one is making anything like it nor will ever again, and I think we will be lucky if Citroen still exists in 10 years. It is with absolute certainty a future classic. It always was and always will be special, and while the C5-x7 is an off-shoot and stands on it's own merit on the side, the C6 is an end to a long and unique line in automotive history.
So I bought mine and have been sorting it out ever since, which is the reason for a few threads I have started here...
So, in a way, my adventure is still at the beginning...
MGmike   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 08:37am
Member No: #3151
That sounds a very familiar tale but I was somewhat older at the time of the first release!

Good luck with all the repairs coming your way and enjoy the ride
cruiserphil   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 03:53pm

Member No: #38
Welcome to the forum ilimzn,

You should find a lot of help here from the forum and its members!!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club