Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Various suspension, cruise control, seat belt pretensioner and airbag errors and issues

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ilimzn   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 12:32am
Member No: #5418
Hello everyone,
I have a new to me 2007 C6 2.7 HDI which I am trying to sort out. Most of the work has been done but there are some remaining issues, keeping in mind I currently only have a small ELM bluetooth OBD reader to do diagnostics, and occasionally access to a Topdon diagnostic device.

1) While driving, 'suspension error' is reported on the info screen, the SERVICE sign light up in the dash display, and it beeps. The suspension goes stiffer for a while, then the error disappears and all is back to normal. I can't really detect any correlation with driving.
Other threads mention a problem with steering wheel centre position calibration. When I got the car originally, there were some older U1205 errors flagged intermittent (no communications between steering wheel and suspension ECU), they were reset and did not come back, and does not seem to be logged when the error occurs as described. There is mention on the forums that when the steering is not calibrated, directional headlights also don't work, but mine do.

2) Intermittent Airbag or safety belt pretensioner error on the info screen, beep and SERVICE indicated in the dash display. It remains until the next engine start, at which point it may or may not appear again. This started happening after I had to move the drivers seat all the way back, forward and back again (to get to some small items that rolled under the seat). No errors logged.
I found some parameters I could read using a Topdon diagnostic device, as follows:
Driver belt return pretensioner: not configured
Left-hand front pretensioner: igniter operational
Passenger belt return pretensioner: igniter operational
Right-hand front pretensioner: igniter operational
Row 1 central pretensioner: not configured
Row 2 central rear pretensioner: not configured
Row 2 Left-hand rear pretensioner: igniter operational
Row 2 Right-hand rear pretensioner: igniter operational
The Driver belt return pretensioner being 'not configured' may be a clue? I should mention there is also another odd problem which may be related, the car global setting is that it is RHD while in fact it is a LHD car.

3) The limiter/cruise control responds to steering wheel commands but actually does not do anything.
When I cot the car it had the common accelerator pedal kickdown switch problem which produces P2131 and/or P2133 errors, the switch was fixed and the errors cleared, and have not appeared again since.
The steering wheel switches work (with appropriate display of operation mode, speed and on/off shown in the dash display) but the current speed is not set as the cruise speed, rather starts at 30 instead, and even though the switches will switch cruise on (and it displays as engaged), the car actually does not keep or limit speed. Again, no errors logged. So, it kind of goes through the proper motions but does nothing...

4) When reading error codes, the Topdon diagnostic device reported error P0613, Open Circuit, "Rear right satellite or front right door fault, Resistance too low."
I did not find this error code in the list in the download section, this might be an artifact of the Topdon?

5) I am missing the boot light (the one next to the battery access cover), there is just an open cut-out, but also there is no cable and connector to it! I did try to pry on the trim including removing the trim to access the battery (which was dead and needed replacing), but could not find the cable. Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the wiring, so I can see where to trace it to? I have no idea how or why this could have been removed, but I have this fear the wire might be loose somewhere... which is never a good thing.

Any clues or thoughts highly appreciated!
onthecut   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 03:22pm
Member No: #2793
I can answer the easy bit. The boot lamp connector is a dedicated white nylon connector block on the end of a short spur from he main rear harness. If you look toward the front end of the battery and upward, there is quite a lot of harness there and that is where the spur emerges from.

Ideally, you want to get yourself a Lexia or Diagbox diagnostic (there are numerous posts on the forum about this, I imagine) as even expensive third party readers will not necessarily deliver an accurate or usable set of codes.

For the airbag / pretensioner issues, first thing I would be looking for are any loose or corroded connectors, especially if moving the seat has triggered the issue. Don't forget to disconnect the battery 15 min or so before doing anything with the airbags.

On the topic of the battery, make sure your battery is 100%. A poor battery may give rise to all sorts of spurious code readings. If your Topdon reader will acces it, it may be interesting to see how the BSI is configured. If something is incorrectly set as RHD, other things mayy be wrong also.

Mike.
cruiserphil   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 04:02pm

Member No: #38
Hello ilimzn.,

On item 2, check the forum posts about the tight cabling under the steering column. Try moving the steering column up/down, in/out a few times and try the speed limiter/cruise control again.

As per onthecut, Diagbox is essential to assist you with repairs.

Best regards,

Phil C.
ilimzn   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 04:08pm
Many thanks for the pointers!

I have posted in another thread that the car is set up as RHD even though it is actually LHD, but this is how it came to me (also wipers are set in the RHD position), I am sure this will cause some issues.

Diagbox is on the way, the battery is brand new, as the car spent almost 4 years almost not driving, the original was dead.

Will look for the boot lamp connector... I did find a rather incomprehensible partial picture of the wiring loom on line, if someone has a better one, please post or point me to it
ilimzn   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 04:27pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello ilimzn.,

On item 2, check the forum posts about the tight cabling under the steering column. Try moving the steering column up/down, in/out a few times and try the speed limiter/cruise control again.

Thanks, did not notice those threads, will check and try moving the steering column. BTW mine is a manual, not the motorized one.
Does the tight harness cause intermittent contacts in the connectors by pulling on them or is it a chafing issue?
Jas16   
Wed Mar 13 2024, 11:12pm
Member No: #2994
Welcome to the C6 club!

As Mike mentioned earlier, a poor battery can cause a number of electrical issues. What I have done in the past is record the faults for reference, then erase all codes, drive the car for a bit and re-scan. Any codes coming back would be my starting point.

All after a good 100aH 850CCA battery is installed, big beast!
cruiserphil   
Thu Mar 14 2024, 10:32am

Member No: #38
Thanks, did not notice those threads, will check and try moving the steering column. BTW mine is a manual, not the motorized one.
Does the tight harness cause intermittent contacts in the connectors by pulling on them or is it a chafing issue?

Pulling on connectors. Sometimes the cruise/limiter won't operate at all, other times the buttons change function. Can occur on manual and electrical adjust steering columns.

Best regards,

Phil C.
ilimzn   
Thu Mar 14 2024, 09:10pm
Jas16 wrote ...

Welcome to the C6 club!

As Mike mentioned earlier, a poor battery can cause a number of electrical issues. What I have done in the past is record the faults for reference, then erase all codes, drive the car for a bit and re-scan. Any codes coming back would be my starting point.

All after a good 100aH 850CCA battery is installed, big beast!

That's exactly what I did.
And installed a brand new Exide EA1000 battery

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club