Mysterious coolant leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
DragonOfYoRHa   
Fri Dec 15 2023, 01:36pm
Member No: #5424
Hello everyone,

Having recently bought a C6 DT17 myself, the previous owner had mentioned “sometimes a few drips”
However upon loading it up on the trailer, and letting it run stationary for some time (about 20 mins) it started leaking coolant extensively. I haven’t been able to climb underneath or put it on a car bridge due to the coolant loss being so extreme. I seriously fear an overheat. The previous owner has however, left me with very helpful photo’s of it’s location (the dreaded drips).

Now comes the question, can anyone identify what this part is? And if it is a hassle to replace. Thanks so much in advance! I’ve left the pictures I had received previously.

Sincerely,

MGmike   
Fri Dec 15 2023, 10:26pm
Member No: #3151
Hi, the pictures don't appear in your post.

However, there are three main causes of coolant leak:-

1, the thermostat. Coolant would be leaking down the right side of the engine. Part No. 1336 Y3
2, The coolant inlet manifold. Coolant will be leaking at the front centre of the engine. Part No. 1336 Y2
3, The metal heater pipe running along the left side chassis rail. Coolant will leak from the left side of the engine bay. Part No. 6466 HA. However there is an alternative fix of fitting some 19mm ID hose in place of the rusted out tube.

There are a number of plastic pipe connectors that could be the cause and it's impossible to list them all.

Good hunting

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club