Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Timing belt diy

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
superbees   
Tue Sep 12 2023, 06:33pm
Hi was thinking of changing timing belt myself wondering how easy or difficult this job is to do myself.
i have never done timing belt before but done car servicing suspension repairs egr ect.
also i have not worked on cars with this suspension before so wondering do i leave on highest setting do i jack up both sides and ok to leave on axle stands and support engine with trolley jack or do i just need to jack side of the cam belt.
as guide says use engine hoist but i dont have please advise thanks .
cit-rotti   
Tue Sep 12 2023, 09:30pm
Member No: #3753
You can find the instructions for this under Technical Documents.
Almost all original repair instructions are posted there.
Special tools are also required.
It can be done, but it is not easy.
Greetings Wolfgang
onthecut   
Mon Sep 18 2023, 02:45pm
Member No: #2793
First and foremost --- don't be in a hurry if you decide to do the job. I think it really is one of those cases of more haste, less speed. I don't know if they are all the same, but on mine (2.7) the crank pulley bolt was very, very tight to undo. Be careful about using a big gun to undo it -- if there is any amount of locking compound on the threads there is a chance of shearing the bolt if you try and go too fast. Don't use the crank locating pin to hold the crank while you try and undo the bolt -- you will likely bend or break it. You need to get a proper crank locking tool.

The crank locating pin is quite a sod to get in place. I bought a timing kit for a 2.7 Land Rover, but had to shave some off the outside end of this pin to get it to work on the C6. Be careful of brittle plastic fittings and vacuum pipes as you move stuff out of the way. Whatever you use to support the engine will get in the way at some point.

I'd set the car to high and then jack it so you can safely support it evenly on axle stands; you'll be grovelling underneath to use the crank locking and locating tools.The actual cam belt bit of the job is no different to the job on most cars, except don't forget (if it concerns you) the fuel pump is driven by a separate belt at the other end of the engine. It's all the peripheral stuff that takes the time.

Mike.
cruiserphil   
Fri Oct 06 2023, 09:32am

Member No: #38
Hello onthecut,

On the 2.7 or 3.0HDi you don't have to take the crank pulley off the crankshaft. The belt pulley comes off separately with the ring of small torx headed bolts. It makes that part of the job so much easier.

Best regards,

Phil C.
onthecut   
Fri Oct 06 2023, 11:17am
Member No: #2793
Hi Phil.

I'll remember that, next time. Thinking back, I replaced the oil pump at the same time I did the belt which would account for why I removed the pulley.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club