C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 niggles

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
adamw57   
Sun Sep 03 2023, 07:19pm
Member No: #5259
Hi all, I’m having some issues with my recently acquired C6, some new, some old. Most concerning was when I arrived home late one evening, as I pulled up I could smell a burning coolant smell. Outside the car, steam was pouring out from under the bonnet. I opened up and it appeared to be coming from the rear of the engine compartment but I didn’t look too much as it was late. The coolant tank looked empty and as I carefully opened the cap it all poured back into the tank up to the normal level. The next day I had a closer look and couldn’t see any leaks, hoses all looked in reasonable condition but no paperwork to say they’ve ever been replaced, I know they can be a weak spot on the 2.7. Water pump was done a few years back.

I’ve taken it on a bit of a run probably 40 mins in the heat with air con going strongly and ended up in stop-start traffic for 10 mins. No steam and temps all good. Taken out again today but still no steam. It’s rather knocked my confidence of using the C6 for long trips though.

Another issue I’ve had since the beginning is the engine noise and vibration in the cabin. I wouldn’t say it’s overly loud from outside, it just seems rather intrusive regardless of speed, the engine noise is always present. I can also feel quite a bit of vibration on idle, making my 3.0 C5 seem like a Rolls Royce by comparison. I’ve had a full service recently and was hoping that would improve matters but it seems not.

Going through some of the receipts I noticed that a previous owner had ordered some kind of sound deadening, I believe for the bulkhead and under bonnet but I have no idea whether it was ever fitted to the car. The bonnet does have the usual sound deadening material attached to it.

My final issue that I’ve noticed in this sudden unexpected hot weather is the lack of performance from the air conditioning. The air comes out very cold after a short while, around 4/5C but the cabin doesn’t cool very well even on recirc. It’ll barely cool the cabin below the outside temperature, I was using the auto mode and temp set to 18 on both sides and the system backs off at around 23C and outside was around 25C at the time. Using the system manually, it does cool better so I don’t know if there is an issue with the cabin sensor? Or if there is a way of calibrating it via Lexia? The air flow on the passenger side vents is noticeably weaker than on the driver side regardless of settings so I don’t know if I have flap not opening properly somewhere?

I was under the impression that the climate control in these cars is pretty good so hoping there’s just
some issues with mine. Does anyone have an in depth knowledge of the systems operating principles bedsides what it says in the manual?

Sorry for all this waffle!
MGmike   
Sun Sep 03 2023, 08:22pm
Member No: #3151
adamw57 wrote ...

Hi all, I’m having some issues with my recently acquired C6, some new, some old. Most concerning was when I arrived home late one evening, as I pulled up I could smell a burning coolant smell. Outside the car, steam was pouring out from under the bonnet. I opened up and it appeared to be coming from the rear of the engine compartment but I didn’t look too much as it was late. The coolant tank looked empty and as I carefully opened the cap it all poured back into the tank up to the normal level. The next day I had a closer look and couldn’t see any leaks, hoses all looked in reasonable condition but no paperwork to say they’ve ever been replaced, I know they can be a weak spot on the 2.7. Water pump was done a few years back.

I’ve taken it on a bit of a run probably 40 mins in the heat with air con going strongly and ended up in stop-start traffic for 10 mins. No steam and temps all good. Taken out again today but still no steam. It’s rather knocked my confidence of using the C6 for long trips though.

Keep using it to restore confidence but also fit a low coolant alarm (see member tutorial section) for extra security.

adamw57 wrote ...

Another issue I’ve had since the beginning is the engine noise and vibration in the cabin. I wouldn’t say it’s overly loud from outside, it just seems rather intrusive regardless of speed, the engine noise is always present. I can also feel quite a bit of vibration on idle, making my 3.0 C5 seem like a Rolls Royce by comparison. I’ve had a full service recently and was hoping that would improve matters but it seems not.

They're not the smoothest of engines! There shouldn't be much in the way of vibration at idle. Try a tank of super diesel as it helps mine idle better. You could also have engine mount issues, particularly the ones on the front and rear of the gearbox

adamw57 wrote ...

Going through some of the receipts I noticed that a previous owner had ordered some kind of sound deadening, I believe for the bulkhead and under bonnet but I have no idea whether it was ever fitted to the car. The bonnet does have the usual sound deadening material attached to it.

Only the PO will know unless someone who knows what should be there has a look.

adamw57 wrote ...

My final issue that I’ve noticed in this sudden unexpected hot weather is the lack of performance from the air conditioning. The air comes out very cold after a short while, around 4/5C but the cabin doesn’t cool very well even on recirc. It’ll barely cool the cabin below the outside temperature, I was using the auto mode and temp set to 18 on both sides and the system backs off at around 23C and outside was around 25C at the time. Using the system manually, it does cool better so I don’t know if there is an issue with the cabin sensor? Or if there is a way of calibrating it via Lexia? The air flow on the passenger side vents is noticeably weaker than on the driver side regardless of settings so I don’t know if I have flap not opening properly somewhere?

There are a few possibilities! The cabin temperature and humidity senor should be checked with diagbox. Air flow flaps in the unit is a known weak point but that's more related to the heat rather than the flow.

adamw57 wrote ...

I was under the impression that the climate control in these cars is pretty good so hoping there’s just
some issues with mine. Does anyone have an in depth knowledge of the systems operating principles bedsides what it says in the manual?

Check out the tech section to see if there is anything in there but the principles are the same for most climate control systems i.e. cool and dehumidify then heat as required. The AC is a standard compressor, expansion valve, condenser affair and not that complicated. The hard bit is in the cabin in the way it manages airflow across the heater matrix or not.
cruiserphil   
Mon Sep 04 2023, 09:04am

Member No: #38
Hello Adamw57,

Hope all improves with your C6. MGmike has given you the guidance to start with.

Best regards,

Phil C.
adamw57   
Mon Sep 11 2023, 07:54am
Member No: #5259
Thank you both for the prompt replies, I’ve been away but I now have some things to look into then. I’ll fill up with some good diesel and see if that helps. Funnily enough I did wonder if there could be an issue with engine mounts. I’m sure that I read somewhere that the C6 has active engine mounts but I don’t know if that is the case? There is insulation underneath the bonnet and on the bulkhead as most cars probably have but I don’t know how good it is.

I’ve seen some mention on here about the low coolant alarm installation so I’ll check that out. I’ve had a bit of a look through the tech section regarding the climate control. The system seems to switch to recirculation when full cooling is required which makes sense, however I haven’t noticed any other car do that with climate control so not sure if that is normal?

As you say the flaps are a weak point on these earlier systems but the temperature and air direction seems fine it’s more just the low air flow on the passenger side that’s a little odd. I haven’t measured it scientifically but I would estimate it’s around 50% of the air flow on the drivers side. I’ll have to see about getting a Diagbox I think. It’s already been recommended by another member as a useful tool. I have access to a generic car scanner from a good mechanic friend but I don’t know if that will give all the information as the proper PSA one.

Thanks again guys!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club