C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Unusual happenings...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Biggles1957   
Tue Jun 06 2023, 03:16pm
Member No: #3337
So...everything fine and dandy until yesterday evening! Took my brother-in-law and his wife out for a meal. When we got to the restaurant they couldn't open the rear doors from the inside. As far as I knew, I hadn't engaged the child locks and the doors opened as normal from the outside. When I dropped them home again same problem - doors wouldn't open from the inside.

Been fiddling today and it makes no difference what position the child lock switch is in - doors won't open BUT the rear windows do operate normally when the child lock switch is in the 'off' position.

I have checked and cleaned the contacts in the driver's door switch assembly and also the main connectors between the driver's door, rear offside door and chassis. Still no joy - neither rear door will open from the inside. When I press the child lock switch on the driver's door I can hear a click (bit like a relay?) that seems to be from the rear doors and the central locking all operates normally.

Any idea's chums? Anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance! Bob
Biggles1957   
Tue Jun 06 2023, 03:31pm
Forgot to mention...
The handbook says that when you engage the child lock (by pressing the button on the driver's door) a message appears to tell you the child locks are engaged. I don't get any message when I press the button.
onthecut   
Tue Jun 06 2023, 05:30pm
Member No: #2793
Hi Bob.

You do wonder what was wrong with just a little lever on the door to set a child lock !

I don't know whether the C6 has old fashioned wiring or this multiplexed stuff, but if it's old fashioned, is it possible you have a break in a cable at the driver's door post and it's sent apulse to set the child lock, but now won't send a cancel one ? Perhaps worth doing a battery disconnect / reconnect sequence on the turn it off and on again basis.

On my bitzer car, which I keep mobile for convenience, the front passenger door intermittently displays the same fault and I have noticed it only ever comes good again if all the other doors are closed. Also, if you can find the relevant relay, I'd just feel itand make sure it was working OK. One of mine was permanently warm due to some internal failing.

Mike.
adamw57   
Thu Jun 08 2023, 09:00am
Member No: #5259
Hi Bob,
I don’t know if this will be of any use, but if you have the lounge pack I believe that the child lock also locks out the button in the rear that operates the front passenger seat. Just throwing it out there.
Biggles1957   
Fri Jun 09 2023, 07:29am
Ah right - I'll see if that is still working as well then. Thanks. I've had the driver's door switch apart (easy) and checked/cleaned all the contacts (it was very clean actually apart from the mirror select switch), pulled the main door to chassis connectors and cleaned them and it's made no difference - everything works apart from the doors won't unlock from the inside. It seems very strange to me that both have stopped at exactly the same time - points to some computer (aka witchcraft) issue rather than mechanical methinks....
Biggles1957   
Sat Jun 24 2023, 07:39am
See - it was witchcraft! Went to Wolsey House Motors yesterday for a new wheel bearing and some bushes. Went to demo the rear child lock problem and everything worked perfectly! I'm wondering if perhaps the battery voltage was a tiny bit low and it upset the 'brain'? The long run over there would have topped everything right up so...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club