Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Increased ride height after fitting new front spheres?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ChrisW   
Mon Apr 10 2023, 04:50pm
Member No: #1335
I would greatly welcome any advice on this.

I fitted 3 new spheres to the front of my 2.7 HDi, following the procedures in the various threads on the site. They were the correct ones 2 x 50 bar and 1 x 70 bar under the wheel arch. The previous spheres had done 88,000 miles over 14 years and I thought they were due for a change. The job went well with no issues.

The new spheres caused the ride height at the front to increase by about 1.5 cm. Before the change the gap between the top of the tyre and the top of the wheel arch was 7 cm front and rear, with the engine idling and the normal height setting. Having read all the posts on ride height, I believe 7 cm is about right.

Now it's 7 cm at the rear and 8.5 cm at the front. Should I be concerned about this? The car raises and lowers as normal. Would replacing the 4 rear spheres even things up, I wonder? I don't have a Lexia. I didn't bleed anything after the job - should I have done - it wasn't mentioned on any of the threads.

The car has done about 250 miles since the change. The ride is better than before and all seems fine. I could take it into my local main dealer for them to check but they don't seem to be interested in the C6. I asked them to quote for doing the spheres but they didn't even return my call, which is why I did the job myself.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Chris
onthecut   
Tue Apr 11 2023, 08:00am
Member No: #2793
Hi Chris.

If you haven't already, I'd try the last stage of the bleeding process, which is to put the suspension to full height and then down to forced low. Pop the cap off the fluid reservoir and be prepared for it to push some out on the low setting. For reference, the fluid level should be checked while the car is on forced low --- it should be just about visible over the filter mesh in the bottom of the filler aperture.

The other possibilty that comes to mind is have you somehow knocked a level sensor while jacking up ?

Mike.
ChrisW   
Tue Apr 11 2023, 09:59am
Member No: #1335
Thanks, Mike.

I will repeat the bleed procedure as your suggestion. In fact I will give it a good up to the top and and down to the bottom exercising.

I am pretty sure I didn't go anywhere near the level sensors but will check them out and remove any dirt, etc.

Chris

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club