C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: 3.0 HDi Forum

Which engine oil for 3.0?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
David Hallworth   
Fri Jun 30 2023, 02:00pm

Member No: #90
This isn't applicable for my 3.0 C6 any more, however, it is relevant for my C5 3.0 HDi.

I've always bought Mobil1 or Total Quartz 5w30 engine oil of the right spec for my 3.0 HDi's. However, after watching a YouTube video from a bloke that seems very knowledgable and has done oil pressure checks on start up, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if I should switch the grade of oil I'm using.

The YouTube channel that have done the test on oil pumps, oil pressures, etc. is called "LR Time" and they suggest a 5w40 rather then a 5w30 for a Discovery running the V6 Diesel.

What is everyones thoughts on this for a Citroen?

Thanks,
David.
MGmike   
Fri Jun 30 2023, 05:04pm
Member No: #3151
5wDumbass

I tried to get 5w40 at my last oil change but the outlet said the computer says no I wasn't up for the argument and stuck with dumbass! I'll probably go 5w40 on my higher milage (145k) 2.7 at the next change. I mean, what harm can it do to have a very slight improvement in oil pressure...

I've watched the same videos and I'm also thinking an oil pump change with the next timing belt is going to be worthwhile. That assumes the bearings survive until then
Tjensen   
Fri Jun 30 2023, 06:01pm
Member No: #954
1. For early 3.0 Hdi, before 2011, the "new" oil 0-30 C2 (B71 2312) is not recommended, keep to the 5-30 C2 (B71 2290). This is PSA information.
2. A little higher oil pressure in an old engine is a good idea, but is there a C2 certified 5-40 or 5-50 ??? (Before C6 I used Mobile 1 5-50 in all my cars)
3. The eminent Mobile 1 5-30 C2/C3 is no longer C2 certified and no longer marked as B71 2290 compliant.
4. Probably a 5-40 or 5-50 oil will give higher oil pressure, but also invite problems with EGRs and turbos due to high "ash"?
5. I also consider getting a new (and improved) oil pump with the next timing belt, next year. So far I am changing oil at around every 10 000 km with recommended 5-30 C2, 235 000 km total so far.
cruiserphil   
Tue Jul 04 2023, 11:23am

Member No: #38
Hello David,

I've been using 5W30 C2 for many years now, both 2.7HDi and 3.0 HDi and have experienced no issues. What I noticed about the oil pump housing when changing the timing belt is that one of the idler pulley mounting bolts threads into it. There is a fairly low torque specified for this bolt. My thinking was if this pulley is changed and installed with an impact gun (which is not beyond the bounds of possibility in a garage) this will definitely weaken or start a crack in the housing.

Best regards,

Phil C.
David Hallworth   
Fri Jul 07 2023, 11:52am

I ordered oil this morning.

This oil is going in a 3.0 HDI C5 which has covered 165,000 miles, not KM.

The oil I've ordered is Shell Helix 5W-40 ECT C3.

Smith and Allan lubricants have it on offer at the moment for £29.99 inc VAT and delivery for 5 litre bottles.

Hopefully that'll solve the problems that could've been introduced with the DPF from using a non low ash oil whilst helping to maintain good oil pressure.

I've also ordered a 5 litre bottle of Smith and Allan Transguard LV which is the equivalent of JWS3324 which I've used in my old 407 Coupe and C6 for years.

Will keep this thread updated.

David.
David Hallworth   
Fri Jul 07 2023, 11:54am

cruiserphil wrote ...

What I noticed about the oil pump housing when changing the timing belt is that one of the idler pulley mounting bolts threads into it. There is a fairly low torque specified for this bolt. My thinking was if this pulley is changed and installed with an impact gun (which is not beyond the bounds of possibility in a garage) this will definitely weaken or start a crack in the housing.

I'm not sure on the Citroen applications, however, there have been several revisions of oil pump on the Land Rover engine due to this failing. On the Land Rover engine it's the tensioner that's installed into that part of the oil pump.

David.
cruiserphil   
Tue Jul 11 2023, 11:02am

Member No: #38
Hello David,

I was going from memory so it could have been the tensioner that I meant!!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club