Citroen C6 2,7 HDI - Drain, change and flush coolant completely

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
cit-rotti   
Sun Jun 19 2022, 10:42am
Member No: #3753
Hello,
I had to change my water/oil exchanger because it was leaking and about 1 1/2 litres of engine oil was being pressed into the cooling water. It is a C6 2.7 HDI 2008.

I changed the water/oil exchanger with a new seal (located in the middle of the engine between the cylinder rows with the oil filter) and it looks OK. I was able to suck out most of the oil again, because oil always floats on top. But there is still some oil left in the cooling water.

I would therefore like to drain off all the cooling water if possible and carry out several rinsing processes and also use a cleaning agent that dissolves oil.

However, I can't find the right places to drain as much cooling water as possible or the places to flush the cooling and heating circuits with clear water under low pressure.

The radiator cooler only has a connection "at the top" and a vent hole - there is supposed to be a drain plug at the bottom left - but I can't find it.

There is also a drain plug on the engine block - I haven't found it yet either.

Conveniently accessible would be the water connections on the water/oil exchanger of the gearbox - can these be used???

Does anyone have experience with this and can help me and tell me exactly where the drain plug on the engine block and radiator are.
I would be grateful for any information - and if possible I would like to dismantle as little as possible.

Greetings Wolfgang

MGmike   
Sun Jun 19 2022, 11:38am
Member No: #3151
Wolfgang,
the radiator drain is at the bottom left as you look forward from under the engine. It looks like a screw head and is only a 1/4 turn to release. Do not attempt to turn further or remove it completely as you will break the retaining clip part that stays inside the radiator.

Because of all the pipes etc. it is quite difficult to remove all of the fluid without removing a lot of components. Yes, use the gearbox oil cooler as one point but that will only drain one leg of the system. Draining the heater could be an issue and I would probably just do a number of flushes to get as much out as you can.

Do not use any abrasive cleaning agent as this will damage the gearbox oil cooler. I have heard of people who have used a dish washer tablet as it cleans without foaming (much) but I'm wondering if it stays slightly abrasive in use. A liquid clothes washing detergent should be suitable as it does a great job of getting oil and grease off my overalls
cit-rotti   
Sun Jun 19 2022, 03:47pm
Member No: #3753
@MGMike
thanks for the information
I have reservations about using a dishwashing detergent or a laundry detergent because they dissolve grease well but attack aluminium.
Therefore I will use a special industrial product for cleaning oily cooling water residues for car engines.

Greetings Wolfgang

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club