Fuel (diesel) additive?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
StuartA   
Fri Apr 08 2022, 07:50pm
Member No: #4909
Hi everyone,

The FAP light has come on following the repaired dashboard being reinstalled. I do a lot of medium trips of up to, say 10-25 miles at 50-ish mph and wondered about a fuel additive to help things along.

Having looked over previous forum discussions on this, I am right in thinking that I should not use an additive as well as the Eolys system? I have no other warning lights showing ..... what would I see if the Eolys needs topping up, please? Car has done 91,000 miles so hopefully does not need topping up yet.

Be gentle with me .... this is my very first diesel after 54 years of petrol-heading!

Sooo ... can I use an additive on the C6?

Many thanks,

Stuart
Fraunie   
Sat Apr 09 2022, 01:55pm
Member No: #3763
Normally it's the typical EGR warning light. Not a "FAP light".

Doing short trips (for a diesel 10 - 25 miles isn't "medium") can clog the EGR valves quite quickly, as they haven't got a chance becoming really warm and burn the coal inside them.

If the additive would need to be filled up you'd get a warning saying "low additive level" on the main screen.

In general you could use a diesel additive like one for clean injectors, but that wouldn't help with the EGR-related problem.
StuartA   
Sun Apr 10 2022, 05:35pm
Member No: #4909
Thanks Fraunie,

Having put in 2/3 tank of supermarket fuel last week, I decided to take the half-hour trip to top up with premium fuel - it is quite lonely out here in the sticks!

Just after setting off the warning light went out and so far has not returned. Car is running well.

Also ... the parking sensors seem to be working ..... seems to have been the dash repair which did it! Funny old world!

Stuart

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club