C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Is she dead? Shouldn't rely on temperature readings

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sportmaserati   
Sun Aug 15 2021, 10:03am
Member No: #3998
Hi everyone! I hope you are all keeping well.

The other day I had the most bizarre experience. As I drove up a mountain road I got a message "Engine Oil Pressure Too Low" at idle speed. I thought it was because of the hot weather (40C). Everything else seemed normal. Coolant temp was in the middle and oil level was correct. Couple miles up the road the engine stalled. After I attempted to re-start. it was cranking somewhat like there is no fuel to it and the battery is weak. Got out, opened the bonnet and to my surprise everything was smoking. After boiling galloons of water I managed to cool it down enough to start it and it turned out that the little plastic bend at the thermostat housing that cools the front EGR had cracked
What a shame as the thermostat housing was replaced less than a year ago, but no one had thought of changing that little bend...

So from the story I got 2 things
1 Make sure you replace all ageing components
2 Install a "Low coolant level" sensor

The question is - Shall I fix it (considering it has leaking front struts as well), or break it?

Have a Lovely day All
Toma
MGmike   
Sun Aug 15 2021, 11:56am
Member No: #3151
I say fix it but there again I always say that

It very much depends on whether the engine is terminal due to the heat e.g. head and gasket issues and if the gearbox survives the over heating. The gearbox oil is water cooled and can suffer following a overheat episode.

I guess you have to look at the cost to fix, the money you might get from breaking and the cost of a replacement (if you plan on getting another C6!).

It seems prices for good ones are starting to creep up and replacement engines are getting harder to find. Struts are expensive but can be replaced and if the rest of the car is good I would still be tempted to fix it....
cruiserphil   
Mon Aug 16 2021, 10:30am

Member No: #38
Hello Toma,

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. Definitely the low coolant retrofit is essential. It has already saved me from driving the car while losing coolant. I'd agree with MGMike. Assess it first. Has the engine survived with minimal damage or any damage? Struts are expensive but are easy to replace.

Best regards,

Phil C.
sportmaserati   
Tue Aug 17 2021, 08:54pm
Member No: #3998
Hi Phil,

Unfortunately the engine is now pressuring the coolant system, which leads me to think a head gasket (or 2) need replacing. Obviously skimming the heads as well...
I am considering replacing the whole engine as God knows how much more damage there will be (like cooked seals etc.). Hope MGmike hasn't cursed me and the gearbox won't have any issues (obviously the oil will be changed).

I really want to keep it as it is amazing long distance cruiser (before the accident I have done 1800 miles in little more than 30 hours without a problem).

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club