C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Hydraulic suspension pump unit !

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Tjensen   
Sat Jun 12 2021, 10:41am
Member No: #954
A well-known problem. 40A fuse blew 2 days ago. Replaced with 50A and no problems for 500 km. But problems may come. My question : how and where can I get a decent new unit ????? Even used ones on the net is quite old and worn.
Nikolaj   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 07:20pm
Member No: #4047
Not sure if they make them anynore, a few years back, a collegue of mine ordered a new unit from Citroën, (1500Euro) but after waiting for some months, he gave up, and got a used unit.

I wonder if it is build up of dirt/fluid spilage that make the electric motor draw more amps, and blow the fuse, and if the normal power consumption is around 35A, it's close to the fuse limit.

I plan on giving the pumpmotor a good clean, if it goes all crazy, so far I'm still holding the fort with 40A fuses, even though I have blown a few of them over the last year, as long as I only raise the car one step at a time, the 40A fuse hold, but pushing the up button twice in a row, and the fuse blows, don't ask why.
arconell3   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 09:46pm
Member No: #922
Mostly BHI pump-problems are caused by ingress of LDS fluid after a spillage/overflow from the LDS tank. The pump motor sits right underneath the LDS tank...
After a while the LDS reaches the brushes and collector, slowly dissolving the brushes and causing an ever increasing flow of current together with a decreasing pump capacity. The damage can usually be repaired, so long as the electronics inside the unit are not damaged. After repair go back to the original 40A Maxi fuse, no need to put in a 50A fuse.

Good luck, Robert
Website
Dan595   
Sun Jun 13 2021, 11:34pm
Member No: #299
I had mine refurbished by BBA reman in the UK. I can't remember the cost but I don't think it was ruinous. Lifetime warranty covered it.

As Robert says above, most issues stem from over-filling the LDS tank. Even dealers do this sometimes. If you can see fluid when the suspension is set to low, there is too much in the tank. You should only see fluid when the system is fully depressurised.

From what I remember, the motor unit is used on C5 as well. The pump is different (I think).
Tjensen   
Tue Jun 15 2021, 09:30pm
Thanks for the good answers. Yes, I think both overfill and spillage of LDS have happened. Car is 2010 and jus passed the 200 000km mark. But I have limited space and possibilities to repair myself and this is my only car, so my realistic solution is to get a new or good used pump unit and leave it to my garage. Not easy to find one, most are out of stock or cannot be confirmed. Used ones are too old. So any tip on finding a source.....
Nikolaj   
Wed Jun 16 2021, 06:31pm
Member No: #4047
Why don't you have the garage dismantle, clean and reasamble the electric motor, as long as it's stiil working, the electronic inside shuld be fine.
Radox   
Wed Jun 16 2021, 09:26pm
Member No: #4044
Check this out:

- Click Here -
Tjensen   
Thu Jun 17 2021, 09:35am
A million thanks to Radox !!! order placed and fingers crossed.

And Nikolaj : You are right and that would be the sensible solution. But very difficult to get the Citroen garage to do such work: unpredictable time usage and cost, having the car inside for days etc. Succeeded to get them to change the HDD in the RT5 unit and set it up again, but this time they asked me to get a new or "new" unit.
cruiserphil   
Thu Jun 17 2021, 02:29pm

Member No: #38
Hello Tjensen,

Let us know how it goes with the reconditioned unit?

Best regards,

Phil C.
Tjensen   
Thu Jun 17 2021, 03:48pm
Will do. Probably a slow process to get the unit, wait for the problem to get worse and then make an appointment for changing the unit (and handbrake cables)
Tjensen   
Sun Jul 18 2021, 11:50am
Update : Now the new fuse blew. It turned out to be a 40A. It happened when rising after I had lowered the car fully for ease of taking kayaks off the roof. New unit has arrived ! (but still 500 km away from summer place). Will change fuse today with 50A (first time) and hope it is OK until the garage can change the pump. Succeded in changing the fuse, but not easy to dig down. Found 2 latches and could then turn the fuse unit enough to get to the maxi fuses. Cleaned all the other fuses as well, some very dirty. Connnectors seemed fine.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club