C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Rear door will not open

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
madst   
Fri Jul 02 2021, 05:04pm
Member No: #3419
Suddenly the left hand rear door will not open. When using the external door handle, the window opens the usual 1/2 or so centimeter, but the door doesn't open.

When using the internal door handle, there is no reaction at all - the window doesn't open the 1/2 cm, and the door doesn't open.

We have tried to lock and unlock a number of times. Also tried switching the child protction (button in the driver's window control panel) on and off. No change.

Any suggestions to what the cause might be - and perhaps a solution?
Website
arconell3   
Mon Jul 05 2021, 11:35am
Member No: #922
That is a serious problem, since you can't get at the internals of the door so long as it is shut. It looks like an electrical problem though, which means that the electrically operated latching mechanism of the lock got stuck. Mechanically, there are 2 bowden cables, each one running from the doorlock to the inner and outer handles respectively.

My first suggestion is to try using the key to unlock the drivers door and see what happens. Also check the fuse, fuse box C underneath the facia, fuse F15, 30 Amps. Also, if you have a chance, do a Diagbox diagnosis. That may give you a clue as to where the problem is located. If all that doesn't get the door unlocked, while the other doors function properly, you'll have to find a way to get at the door wiring inside the B pillar and locate the wire that powers the latching mechanism*. Once located, externally apply 12 V to that wire, in hopes that that will unlock the door. If it doesn't, the wire is probably broken inside the door itself. If that appears to be the case, other than ruining the inner door panel in order to get access to the wiring inside the door, I am at a loss as to how to get it open again....

*Look in the technical document section here, electrical system chapter, to find the wiring diagram.

Good luck!! Robert
Website
madst   
Mon Jul 05 2021, 07:41pm
Member No: #3419
Update: This evening, suddenly the door would open. I had the rear windows all the way down, and I don't know if that had any effect, but it now opens as is should using both the internal and the external handles.

One thing which doesn't work is the door lock. If I lock the doors, all doors lock nicely except the one where I wasn't able to open the door.

So my assumption is that the issue is related with the locking mechanism.

I haven't had time to study any wiring diagrams yet, but I assume there is some kind of servo in the door. From the other doors I hear the "click" sound when locking, but not from this door.

For now the car will remain unlocked until I have had a chance to remove the door trim and study it more closely. Will give an update during the weekend.

Thanks for good feedback and suggestions so far
Website
arconell3   
Mon Jul 05 2021, 10:07pm
Member No: #922
That is good news!
However, indeed, DON'T lock the car again, it would appear that one of the wires controlling the door latching mechanism has been damaged inside the door. That happens more often, for instance when a wire gets caught between the inside of the door frame and the door stay (that was exactly what happened to me once), or in the moving window mechanism, which seems to be the happening in your case. Now that you can, get the door panel off and locate the damaged wire, repair it and secure the wire/harnass in such a way that it cannot happen again.

Cheers, Robert

Ps: the clicks you hear are from a simple relay pushing the latch in or out inside the door lock.
Website
Fraunie   
Tue Jul 06 2021, 10:03am
Member No: #3763
Always a good start:
Open the big plug connecting the door with the B-Column and give it some contact spray.
Maybe all your troubles are solved then...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club