US Enthusiast - Questions on C6 Pricing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
BWLittlefield   
Mon Nov 30 2020, 05:15pm
Member No: #4543
Hello All,

I'm a US based (Seattle, Washington) car enthusiast starting my search for a 2005/2006 C6. Pre-pandemic, I would spend several months each year working in France, and am hoping to purchase a nice C6 which I can enjoy and then transport back home.

Curious to get some feedback on pricing? It seems that the numbers are all over the board? I've seen several nice looking examples in the 6-8,000 euro range, even a really nice UK spec model listed for 5,000 Pounds on this site.

However, am also seeing a lot of 2005-2007 C6's online in the 12-14,000 Euro range, with one current listing for a 31,000 KM example at over 19,000 Euro.

What is the "sweet spot" price range? In the opinion of forum members here for a very nice, well-maintained example with lower mileage?

My best friend lives in Lyon, France, so I can take delivery of a car and would also consider a RHD UK model if someone here has a nice one they are considering parting with.

Kind regards,

Brad Littlefield
2005 BMW 330Ci
2002 Jaguar Vanden Plas
1959 Chevrolet Belair
1953 Packard Patrician
1941 Packard Clipper
1941 Packard Clipper
MGmike   
Mon Nov 30 2020, 08:27pm
Member No: #3151
Hi Brad and welcome. You'll be in a very exclusive club if you do take a C6 home!

My standard answer is that a car is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay!

But, to get serious a little. As you've seen prices can vary widely depending on age, mileage, condition and desirability of colour and options (thankfully not many of those). In the UK 3-4k will get you a reasonably well maintained average mileage car (100-120k). Lower mileage equals more pounds and very low equals lots of pounds 6-8k. Obviously late 3.0 models command a premium on this too.

As with any purchase, buyer beware.... a car with good documentation of repairs and essential maintenance items (most not in Citroens manual) will likely save you a few $$$$'s in the long term.

Sorry can't comment on the European mainland market.

Regards
BWLittlefield   
Mon Nov 30 2020, 08:44pm
Member No: #4543
Thank you kindly for your reply. Agreed on the "whatever one is willing to pay", but of course, one wants to pay a fair market price, especially considering the added expense of overseas transportation ; )

In the US, used auto dealers and finance companies use two industry guides (Kelly Blue Book and the NADA - National Automobile Dealers Association). These give a range of prices based on condition (wholesale, low-retail, high-retail, private-party) with adjustments for mileage and optional equipment/trim levels.

Is there a similar guide you use in the UK/Europe? I did some searching and came across Manheim (sp?). Don't know if that might be on the mark or not?

Here, with the later model special interest cars (post 1980 or so) the book value is often far lower than what the market will bear. My Jaguar, for example has a dealer trade in value of only $3,450 and a retail value of $5,425. I paid $8,000 for it last year, private party with only 43,000 miles on it - and it is a very nice example babied by the original owner.

Executive sedans, like Jaguars et al, are what we call "back-of-book" meaning that the value a finance or insurance companies would want to lend/underwrite is less than the going retail (or insurance replacement) value, which makes these nicer luxury sedans attractive to some (such as myself). I imagine the C6 falls into the same category of near "soon-to-be" classics and they are nearing the bottom of the market in terms of their depreciation curve?
David Hallworth   
Fri Dec 04 2020, 03:54pm

Member No: #90
If you're going to be shopping in France, hold out for a 3.0 HDi would be my advice. I picked one up last year that needed some work doing for €3300 (£2800 at the time). It was a 2012 that had gone a big mileage but the car was very very tidy and had recently had a lot of expensive work done to it.

I ended up having the gearbox rebuilt which cost me another £2,700 once back in the UK but I've got a very late, very well sorted car that stands me less then you'd pay for an absolutely immaculate 2.7 in the UK.

The 3.0 HDI's are much quieter, smoother, torquier, better on fuel and quicker then the 2.7 and more often then not, in France, they don't fetch that much of a premium either.

David.
Trainman   
Sat Dec 05 2020, 10:36am

Member No: #86
Another thing to bear in mind, if you do decide to buy one to ship back to the US, is to make sure you have the "Certificate of Conformity" or "Certificate De Conformite Europeen Vehicules Complets"

This shows the the car meets certain standards that the driving authorites will require.

I also seem to recall, somewhere at the backmof my mind, there was some sort of issue with importing Citroens into the US....... but I could well be wrong.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club