C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 HDi fuel filter plumbing

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
LDickie   
Sat Jan 09 2016, 11:44am
Member No: #2472
Hi guys - looking for a bit of help. I've got a C5 x7 with the 2.7 HDi engine in it and finding information on it is pretty difficult - it seems the same engine is in the C6 hence my visiting here!

I've had the car for about 9 months with no issues until Thursday when it decided to die on me. I checked with the lexia and it's a fuel pressure problem. I've not changed the filter so decided it was a good place to start. Stripped it this morning and decided to flush the feed line out before rebuilding. Got a surprise when the fuel came out of the pipe which had been attached to the out arrow on the fuel filter. I've downloaded the fuel filter piping diagram for the c6 and it shows 3 pipes to the filter. The c5 only has 2 but it looks like my in and out lines have been reversed in the past - anyone have any experience with this?

Regards

Lindsay Dickie

e3steve   
Sat Jan 09 2016, 01:30pm
Member No: #1163
Welcome to our loony bin, Lindsay...

Love the X7! I'd have one myself, just for the hell of it, but not to replace my C6. I wouldn't buy another 2.7-engined car though; one DT17 (UHZ) is enough maintenance for me, thanks!!

The fuel lines cannot, FME, be mixed up. Sounds like your HDi pump belt may be at fault. It's similar to the cam timing belt, only much shorter and with just a tensioner (no idlers).

What's your C5's mileage?
LDickie   
Sat Jan 09 2016, 09:58pm
Hi

It's just under 70k. It cut out on me on Thursday evening on my way home. It restarted ok though. I've done a few miles today ok since changing the fuel filter with no stalls- the engine management faults light came on again tonight but I've not plugged the lexia in yet. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Lindsay
e3steve   
Sun Jan 10 2016, 12:05pm
Member No: #1163
I'm sure you'd hear untoward happenings if the HDi belt was decaying or the tensioner was allowing any degree of slippage. Belts' replacement recommendations are 120k-miles / 10yr intervals.

Perhaps the HDi pump is at fault(?).
gmerry   
Sun Jan 10 2016, 02:42pm
Member No: #21
Hi Lindsay, I've looked at the drawing titled "2,7HDI Fuel Filter Piping" and it appears to show 3 pipes into the top of the filter. However my car (built 2007) only has two piping connections with the 3rd permanently blanked off.

If you are having fuel supply problem, remember there is an electric fuel lift pump mounted in the tank (accessible from under the rear seats) and this will also have a filter screen of sorts. Keep this in mind when looking at the Lexia errors as Lexia does not cover everything.

Also, did you bleed off any separated water from the filter housing?

Regards
G
LDickie   
Sun Jan 10 2016, 09:28pm
Hi guys

When I changed the filter there was no water in the housing at all. The tank pump seems ok too as there was a good flow of fuel when we flushed the line through - albeit with no back pressure.

The cars been running ok for the last 2 days but tonight it threw another wobbly! I started it up after sitting for about 4 hours (very cold here today). It was immediately obvious it was not happy as the idle was erratic. At the end of the road there was a nasty screeching sound like a slipping drive belt. I drove home (only a couple of miles) and whilst reversing into my driveway the headlights were flickering. Then the engine management malfunction message displayed. I've checked with Lexia and the fault code was P1164 Fuel pressure signal. I'll have a look at the drive belts to see if there are any obvious issues when it stops raining! To add to the mix I've just started it up again and it's idling sweetly.

Cheers

Lindsay
Nikolaj   
Wed Jun 09 2021, 06:35pm
Member No: #4047
Any conclusions on this matter!?

I seems to have the same bug, but only a little erratic until warm, and only sometimes, otherwise drives normally.

First start after errorcode comes up it's Limp-mode, then I turn engine off and on again, and it drives fine. (I have deleted the P1164 a few times by now, and there's no other errorcodes.)
Nikolaj   
Wed Jun 23 2021, 01:37pm
Member No: #4047
A little update, I did two things, so of course I don't know which one solved my P1164 error, first I took out the fuelrail pressure sensor, but nothing to see, so installed it again, a bad connection could have been cured by disconnecting/connecting the connector.

Second I replaced a Refurbished (only been in the engine for a 1000-2000km) injector, that I was suspecting for faul play.

I've come to the conclusion, that the rumor about 2,7 injectors are not refurbishable, is tru.
The problem is that, they only change machanic parts in the injector, and the test are at room temperature, but working temp for an injector is probably around 90 Deg C, and the electronic inside the injector head, is killed by the heat.
A common problem with C4 as well I hear.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club