Timing Belt Special Tools

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Cammmy   
Wed Aug 12 2020, 10:00am
Member No: #4291
Hi All

Looking at potentially doing the timing belt and fuel pump belts myself. Are the special tools a requirement? Generally, I just mark all of the pulleys/belt/block and then transfer the marks to the new belt by counting the teeth, making sure that everything lines up again once the tensioner has been done up and the engine rotated. Is there any reason that wouldn't work here?

Ta
Cam
arconell3   
Wed Aug 12 2020, 01:08pm
Member No: #922
Hi Cam,

Yes there are. Check the technical documents section. And you'd better use them. Using markers or chalk is not a good idea. It was in the old days, on a simple 4 with a single camshaft. But on a V6 with 4 camshafts and ancillary stuff also driven by the same belt you really need the prescribed special tools.

Regards, Robert
Website
cruiserphil   
Wed Aug 12 2020, 01:46pm

Member No: #38
Hello Cammy,

As Robert says plenty on the forum to help you. The timing kits are not expensive. When I did mine, when lined up, I also marked the old belt against the pulleys and used it to ensure the alignment of the new belt.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Cammmy   
Wed Aug 12 2020, 02:47pm
thanks both.

I've downloaded and read the timing belt document from here. I'm no stranger to timing belts (I have a generic locking kit but don't often need to use it) and have never used sepecial tools to do one. I generally mark the pulley, belt and block with one line so it's easy to see that everything is timed exactly as it was and am wondering if there's anything that would prevent that working with this engine?
cruiserphil   
Wed Aug 12 2020, 04:53pm

Member No: #38
Hello Cammy,

For what it's worth I used to do the same. But when it came to the C6 it was the first time I used locking tools. I just didn't want to risk any chance of a mistake. In addition, the cam pulleys have to be loosened to allow the tensioner to pick up the belt slack and they move in the process. However, you don't want any chance of the actual camshafts moving. So at least lock the camshafts in their timing position!

Best regards,

Phil C.
MGmike   
Wed Aug 12 2020, 07:28pm
Member No: #3151
but you can get by with a couple of 6mm drill bits as cam locating tools. Use the none pointy end.
Once they are locked you just need to be careful not to move the crankshaft. If you can get under the car you can remove the little cover on the gearbox end of the engine where you get access to the torque converter bolts. Once in there you could either mark the flywheel and casing or find a way to jam the flywheel with a screwdriver/chisel
Cammmy   
Thu Aug 13 2020, 08:02pm
Ah nice one. I have plenty of drill bits and pin punches as well as a 2 post lift.

Okay cool, I've never fussed about things moving before as normally something has to give to get the belt on. So long as once everything is tensioned, all the marks line up the same as before.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club