C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Air intake housing seal? part number?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
bigbruggsy   
Mon Oct 14 2019, 08:22am
Member No: #3483
Hello, all i have an air leak at where the air intake housing connects to the pipe. Im not sure what its called, but theres a big rubber seal that has either perished or been damaged. And as such it is not sealing correctly. I can hear the sound like that of a blow off valve when i accelerate hard between gears.

Can some one out there help me with part numbers etc? As ive been searching the forum and online and havent found it yet.

Thanks
321dave   
Mon Oct 14 2019, 09:30am
Member No: #614
bigbruggsy wrote ...

Hello, all i have an air leak at where the air intake housing connects to the pipe. Im not sure what its called, but theres a big rubber seal that has either perished or been damaged. And as such it is not sealing correctly. I can hear the sound like that of a blow off valve when i accelerate hard between gears.

Can some one out there help me with part numbers etc? As ive been searching the forum and online and havent found it yet.

Thanks

Hi Bigbruggsy,
I'm guessing your refering to the turbo pipes from the intercooler.
Is it no 3 that inserts into the pipe no14?

If it's the seal on the end of the no 14 you'll need to buy a new pipe to get the seal im afraid! Maybe you can find one on eBay. I had to replace mine with a new one. Wasn't very cheap I think, but it comes with two new seal for both ends. Hope that helps some.

Part codes are:
No 3 - 1636 14 - €38
No 14 - 0384 J2 - €145

cruiserphil   
Mon Oct 14 2019, 09:47am

Member No: #38
Hello Bigbruggsy,

As per 321Dave, you have to buy the whole pipe and it's not cheap.

However before you do, remove the housing from the pipe and check the seal. It's easy for the seal to get squashed down past the pipe lip when inserting the housing if the pipe is left fitted to the engine, particularly when the seal is new. I found the best way to assemble it is to release the pipe from the bracket on the engine and at the intercooler. This allows you to position the pipe to fit the housing straight down and preventing the seal pushing down into the pipe and also avoiding damage from angular entry. Then fit the housing to the air box and secure the pipe to engine and intercooler.

Best regards,

Phil C.
bigbruggsy   
Mon Oct 14 2019, 03:40pm
Wow thanks guys, yes its the seal that connects to the top of pipe No 14. I'll checkout your suggestion cruiserphil. But from memory the seal was quite deformed when I put it all back together. I'll take it apart again tomorrow and see if i can get the seal back to its orginal shape and try putting all back together like you suggested. I'll keep you posted on how i go.
cruiserphil   
Wed Oct 16 2019, 08:51am

Hello Bigbruggsy,

I wouldn't worry about the deformation. They get soft with age but still work but that makes them more prone to deforming when you insert the air box spigot. Also you'll notice that with the pipe in situ you're forced to enter the spigot at an angle which cause it to be shoved down. I replaced mine because the spigot on the air box actually cut a slit in the side wall of the seal. I found with the new seal it was impossible to get the spigot seated in the pipe and it was stressing the seal. That's when I decided to release the pipe and then made it much easier and kinder on the seal.

Best regards,

Phil C.
bigbruggsy   
Wed Oct 16 2019, 03:44pm
Hi Phil, I took it apart yesterday and my seal has about 1/3 of the edge cut. I removed the screws holding the pipe to give me more room when I repositioned the seal and tightened back up. But man it was hard to put the pipe screws back in place!
I ended up with just the rear screw in place, the front one I couldnt get aligned correctly. Did you have a trick or special tool? or just really really small hands? My hands are quite big and they cant get into that area and hold the screw at the same time, let alone rotate the screw.
cruiserphil   
Wed Oct 16 2019, 05:03pm

Hello Bigbruggsy,

Yes the front screw was difficult until I realised temporarily removing a bracket from the engine mounting opens up the access. I'll follow with a photo!

By the way, is it sealing now??

Best regards,

Phil C.
cruiserphil   
Wed Oct 16 2019, 05:26pm

Hello Bigbruggsy,

Temporarily remove the bracket indicated. Makes all the difference to access the pipe bolts.

Best regards,

Phil C.
bigbruggsy   
Wed Nov 20 2019, 05:17pm
Just an update, i noticed this morning an oil on my garage floor. It seems that oil is leaking from the intake pipe. Its very oily around the rubber seal that ive had trouble sealing. If oil is coming in this intake pipe am I safe in assuming that oil is coming through the seals in my turbo? I havent noticed any oil being burnt and showing up at the exhaust pipe though. Any ideas?
Tjensen   
Wed Nov 20 2019, 08:53pm
Member No: #954
I had leakage in the oil/water heat exchanger ("oil cooler"). Symptoms were low oil level and oil visible under air intake/air filter. But that is on the other side of the engine ?
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 21 2019, 09:56am

Hello Bigbruggsy,

I find oil in the intake pipe is normal and has not caused any issue with our 07 car which we now own over 10 years! The amount of oil in the intake pipe is always the same!

Best regards,

Phil C.
bigbruggsy   
Thu Nov 21 2019, 12:01pm
Hi Phil, thanks for that. Thats in some way reassuring, still wondering how oil gets in there as i can only think its coming through the turbo oil seals. I'll keep an eye out to see if the oil level is dropping. Its only leaking now because the air intake seal has spilt and I cant get it to seal 100%. I may need to buy a whole new air intake pipe as I understand it comes with the seal.
bigbruggsy   
Mon Dec 09 2019, 10:05am
Hello all, The oil is still leaking from parts "3" and "14". It leaves a 2cm diameter drop each day on my garage floor. Should I be concerned? Is oil going past the turbos? Also has anyone replaced the plastic pipe with a silicone one? as the silicone ones are cheaper and better?
TheGerman   
Mon Dec 09 2019, 04:18pm
Member No: #3175
That would work.

- Click Here -
MGmike   
Mon Dec 09 2019, 05:21pm
Member No: #3151
Ouch that’s not cheap????
Bigbruggsy I might have a seal off a spares car.. I’ll take a look later in the week and PM you if I find it.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club