Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Problems with electronic control of the steering column and the steering wheel buttons

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
raptyk   
Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:25pm
Member No: #2926
I have a problem with the electronic control of the steering column and the steering wheel buttons.

Control the position of the steering whell works only in the front / rear, but up / down causes only minimal movement. Replacing the steering column to another one does not help - the effect was the same.

In one of the threads in the forum someone suggested that the problems with the steering wheel buttons (cruise control) disappear after swapping brake pedal cube and 4 wires - in my case it did not help ... the cruise control buttons are "dead".

What could I do to revive steering column and cruise control buttons? Which part of electronic is responsible of this buttons/joystick ?
Are these elements independent of each other?
321dave   
Wed Mar 01 2017, 08:23am
Member No: #614
Hi Raptek,
a few members on the forum have had intermittent problems with the cruise control switches (on the steering wheel) not responding and this has been largely due to the wiring cables or loom under the steering wheel becoming somehow disconnected.

A solution had been found by a number of members to try banging or even sliding and banging gently the steering wheel/column in and out a few times then eventually normal functioning would resume. I've never had an issue myself in a C6, but i've had this same fault on a Peugeot 3008 cruise control. And the same advice fixed that issue on the peugeot for me!

I'm wondering in your case has somebody else before you gone in further and been at the wiring loom connectors trying to fix the electric column issue? Maybe a closer look to see if everything is ok and well connected would help. Also it has been known for the electric steering columns to start to stick in one direction if they are not exercised regularly. A few members have also had to resort to another form of banging to resolve those set of issues i believe. Anyway, hope that helps some.
ul9601   
Mon Mar 06 2017, 09:42pm
Member No: #1975
I just did the job on this (except mine is manual adjustment type). When I bought the car, CC was inop so following general advice here (either bang on the lower steering column surround or sliding steering adjusment in & out to give it a bit of jolt) worked, sometimes for a few days, other times a few minutes. I think it's Hattershaun's advice to remove the column surround and loosen wire cable tie, which seems to work so far. It's not adjustable plastic cable ties though, instead there are a couple of clips which the wires routed through. One under the steering wheel, RHS and the other is at the further RHS end of the lower steering surround column cover. As I couldn't adjust the tightness, I just left it hanging and drove for a few days without any issues. I put the covers back on without the wires clipped in place and still working well. It would be probably a good idea to use loose fitting cable ties to secure the wires to the column but I figured it wouldn't matter too much as I'm the only driver and I wouldn't adjust the column hardly ever.
Jarecki   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 11:08am
Member No: #2069
I agree. I also lost cruise control buttons after change the stop switch and wire. Fortunately, just opened the covers around the steering whell column and moved wires and check connectors - everything went back! What is interesting, lexia and diagbox didnt see any errors!
e3steve   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 12:25pm
Member No: #1163
Jarecki wrote ...

I agree. I also lost cruise control buttons after change the stop switch and wire. Fortunately, just opened the covers around the steering whell column and moved wires and check connectors - everything went back! What is interesting, lexia and diagbox didnt see any errors!
It's effectively just a CANbus module and won't necessarily be 'seen' by Lexia as being on the missing list.

Disassembling the little multipin connector and re-tensioning the pin receptacles seems to work; I had to also do the same within one of the rear connectors on my RT3-piece-of-junk head unit - Click Here -
madst   
Sat Feb 02 2019, 05:50pm
Member No: #3419
@Raptyk: Did you find a way to get the up/down adjustment of the steering columnn to work again?

My car also has the electric adjustment, and only the in/out direction works - not the up/down.
Website
David K   
Sat Feb 09 2019, 12:10pm
Member No: #42
madst wrote ...

@Raptyk: Did you find a way to get the up/down adjustment of the steering columnn to work again?

My car also has the electric adjustment, and only the in/out direction works - not the up/down.

If you hit it really hard on top of the steering wheel a few times at the same time as you adjust the knob it usually starts working again.
Violence can help sometimes...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club