Xenon bulbs at 11 years old

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Chris Burmajster   
Fri Jan 11 2019, 10:29pm
Member No: #81
Hello fellow C6'ers,

I have a problem. My C6 is 11 years old and I'm worried about the xenon lights. I have changed the bulbs to Philips 2nd generation (which advertise themselves as the best in xenon bulbs) but the light output looks the same to me, i.e. [%*^#@!].

Is there anything else I need to change or is the light permanently damaged?

Thanks,

Chris
joopajaa   
Tue Jan 15 2019, 06:58am
Member No: #3261
I think only thing you can do is to recondition the light surface - but no personal experience on that. Maybe a professional job with correct tools would be the right choice.
Chris Burmajster   
Tue Jan 15 2019, 10:37am
Ah, yes, I've done that. It made little difference.

What I want to know is whether there is something else in the car from the battery to the bulb that is causing this.

Chris
MGmike   
Tue Jan 15 2019, 05:32pm
Member No: #3151
Chris Burmajster wrote ...

What I want to know is whether there is something else in the car from the battery to the bulb that is causing this.

Chris

Xenons are a high voltage lamp unit eg 1200v (see here - Click Here - ) this module located on the bottom of the headlight generates the voltage required.

It not recommended to poke around with a meter on these units with replacement your only option. But... If your problem is on both lights I suspect it's not a controller issue but I could be wrong in which case I'll

Chris Burmajster   
Thu Jan 17 2019, 01:35pm
Hi MGmike,

Thanks for your input. The fault is on both lights. Well, I describe it as a fault, but it might not be. I want to compare it to a brand new C6 (yes!) to see if it's faulty. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Chris
verycleverman   
Thu Jan 17 2019, 04:01pm
Member No: #65
Chris Burmajster wrote ...

The fault is on both lights. Well, I describe it as a fault, but it might not be.

To be fair, I'm a little disappointed with the performance of my headlights. Having already had an almost new Xm I know what poor headlight design is like but this is my third C6 and I don't recall the others being this poor. Maybe it's because my previous C6s were driven mainly in built-up areas whereas I now live in a region where street lights are sparse and appear to be mainly decorative. Having said that, my C5 has HID lights and they perform superbly on the same roads.
Fortunately, it's seldom that I have to drive in the dark so I just live with it.

Pete.
joopajaa   
Fri Jan 18 2019, 11:39am
Member No: #3261
Actually C6 should have quite good lights and my own exprience confirms that - and we live in darkness here on the North pole... Very few cars have better range on high beams.

The measurement is done with 5lux minimum (about 150meters). Most modern cars only reach 100-130m.
Chris Burmajster   
Mon Jan 21 2019, 11:16am
Actually C6 should have quite good lights and my own exprience confirms that - and we live in darkness here on the North pole... Very few cars have better range on high beams.

Yes, that's what I thought, which is why I'm taking my car to an independent dealer on Wednesday for a checking out.

Chris
Chris Burmajster   
Thu Jan 24 2019, 02:05pm
Hello everybody,

well I took my car to my independent dealer, and he said that the lights are just fine, so I have to leave it alone.

Chris

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club