C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Battery and alternator

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
joopajaa   
Tue Oct 30 2018, 01:48pm
Member No: #3261
Hi is there any options to code with Diagbox after battery change? I changed my battery a year ago because IMHO poor power on starter (failed to start at one freezing morning). After a new battery there was still quite low RPM on the starter. Now almost did not start after -10C temperature one day. I think my battery has a fair change to be 100% almost all the time since the car is in warm place everyday and is driven for 20-30min so there should be enough time to current to flow to (warm) battery.

a) is my alternator bad - lowish idle voltage ~13.7-13.9V with "all ON normally" after cold start
b) does my alternator/BSI need any coding to tell about new battery (or battery size anway)
c) any BSI coding needed to reset (?) battery status info (to let the alternator to charge with higher voltage 14.4V?

Voltage readings are from the underbonnet voltagepoint - not directly from the battery so there might be a little difference there (my aux heater has a voltage display).

As I use aux heater I know the used time is crucial with it - I never use it more minutes before starting that I will drive after it. Also I have installed battery charger under bonnet to help the battery when its really getting cold here (-20... -35C) - I just let it charge overnight one or 2 times a week. So when the heater is switched on at the morning there is 100% charge on the battery. This is my winter driving tactics with any car back here..
furriegurrie   
Tue Oct 30 2018, 02:17pm
Member No: #2448
It could be that your startermotor is starting to wear out....
joopajaa   
Wed Oct 31 2018, 05:02am
Member No: #3261
furriegurrie wrote ...

It could be that your startermotor is starting to wear out....

Thought about that too but does not explain ~10.4V readings on the meter just before start when glow plugs and the heater are on (quite empty battery).
e3steve   
Fri Nov 02 2018, 03:01pm
Member No: #1163
joopajaa wrote ...

Hi is there any options to code with Diagbox after battery change?
Nope.

joopajaa wrote ...

I changed my battery a year ago because IMHO poor power on starter (failed to start at one freezing morning). After a new battery there was still quite low RPM on the starter. Now almost did not start after -10C temperature one day...
Starter motor is most likely dying (the ‘Denso’ starters do that!)

joopajaa wrote ...

a) is my alternator bad - lowish idle voltage ~13.7-13.9V with "all ON normally" after cold start
b) does my alternator/BSI need any coding to tell about new battery (or battery size anway)
c) any BSI coding needed to reset (?) battery status info (to let the alternator to charge with higher voltage 14.4V?
No, to all of those questions.

joopajaa wrote ...

... I have installed battery charger under bonnet to help the battery when its really getting cold here (-20... -35C) - I just let it charge overnight one or 2 times a week. So when the heater is switched on at the morning there is 100% charge on the battery. This is my winter driving tactics with any car back here..
All good procedures, my friend!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club