C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Advice on taking C6 off the road for a while

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
keithc   
Mon Oct 01 2018, 10:29am
Member No: #2584
Hi, I've bought a run-a-round for the winter to save the C6 and not put the miles up on it for a while! Also I can't seem to get the jobs I want done to it as I drive the car everyday so this will be a chance to change the brake fluid/coolant/gear oil etc. I gave it a full service 1k kms ago (fresh oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter).

I will be putting the C6 into a professional storage shed which has a workshop I can use etc. So the car will be inside at all times. Since this is my first diesel car do I need to take any precautions? Also what about taking the C6 for a spin around the yard where it will be in storage every now and again or leave it as it is for 6 to 7 months and just take the battery out?

Finally should I park it in low setting or leave as normal and disconnect the battery after 10 or 15 mins after parking it up?
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 01 2018, 11:04am

Member No: #1
My personal preference (my car often sits for weeks neglected) Leave it normal setting as if it's in low and won't come back up then your basically stu**ed (as others have found out)

I would leave the battery in situ but make sure you leave the bonnet or boot open and unlatched so you can get access to connect a charger. The car will sit quite a while if the battery was fully charged.

Disconnecting the battery will stop the alarm and your insurance co may not be happy about that even in 'professional' storage.

The tyres will develop 'flats' if left sitting so either blow them up hard before parking up, or as you suggest, give the car a drive around once in a while (I do with my Traction which doesn't get much winter use)

Not sure if diesel 'goes off' like petrol but I would fill the tank with 'Premium' fuel before leaving it standing (less ethanol to cause any damage)

Anyone else got any views on the subject?
Website
e3steve   
Mon Oct 01 2018, 01:30pm
Member No: #1163
Dave-Retired wrote ...

...The car will sit quite a while if the battery was fully charged.

5-6 weeks, in my experience, Dave.
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 01 2018, 05:44pm

e3steve wrote ...

Hmm, mine has stood longer than that last winter (I think) but will make sure it doesn't in future
Website
furriegurrie   
Mon Oct 01 2018, 06:54pm
Member No: #2448
Do you guys also notice that the C6 seems to have lost connection to the tpms sensors after being stationary for a few weeks?? Mine does, takes about half a km before they are awake again and noticed by the system
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 02 2018, 02:42pm

e3steve wrote ...

OK definitive answer from Dan at Wolsey House who has 'several' C6 (and C5) standing around.

Dan starts his cars every 2 weeks, some can last up to 6 weeks as Steve implies, but if the battery runs down to far, they are hard to charge back up.

If your storing a C6 (or a C5), disconnect the battery in the boot and lay something over the lock so the boot can't close which is fine if the car is in a garage, shed etc. but if parked on a street your going to have to start and run the car every 2-3 weeks to keep the battery alive.
Website
bargi   
Thu Oct 04 2018, 09:06pm
Member No: #2590
There's the Fuse Shunt that was for when cars sit at dealerships to be sold.

- Click Here -

Park mode (BSI 1) This configuration is used for the storing of the vehicle on a park .

It permits cutting off of the permanent BATT+ supply to certain electrical energy consumers so limiting electrical consumption to guarantee starting of the vehicle .

The shunt which supplies the permanent BATT+ consumers is removed in favour of a fuse to supply the consumers with ignition+ .

The "park shunt" configuration permits access to the vehicle (the door and tailgate locks are operational) .

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club