Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

What has been the reaction to your C6 purchase?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
michaelb   
Fri Jan 08 2010, 08:54am
Member No: #14
I've been surprised at the reactions of some of my friends and family to my "new" C6.

Quite a few neighbours, whom I know to have zero interest in cars, have come up to me and said something like "Whao!, I like your new car". I really wasn't expecting them to notice, never mind be impressed.

On the other hand several friends have made comments along the lines of "Ah a Citroën, that must be a bit of a come down for you. Still, I suppose you are a family man now and have to make sacrifices". I never knew badge snobbery was so alive and well.

On the road I haven't noticed any reaction.
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 08 2010, 10:06am

Member No: #1
Badge snobbery really is alive and well, it's all the money they paid for the overrated rear wheel drive German machinery that's useless in the current weather conditions

Point them to this page - Click Here - and ask them if there cars have all the features the C6 has

What most people fail to realise is that cars are designed and assembled using core parts from a limited number of suppliers

Under the skin of a Citroen there are large amounts of Bosch, Siemens, Lucas BVD, Brembo brake and electronic items you will find in any of the 'snobby' badged cars

BTW I have seen some reaction on the roads in my mirror when the spoiler pop's up
Website
tonyrome   
Fri Jan 08 2010, 12:36pm
Member No: #15
I drove from Newcastle via Norfolk, to the Channel Tunnel and across Europe to Berlin, without seeing another C6 but I have to say I haven't noticed any looks of interest from other road users, despite the rarity factor! Occasionally, you'll see someone taking an interest but, as with pedestrians when the car is parked, you soon realise they're only wondering why there's no-one on the driver's side .

The same thing happened with previous cars I've owned, since a right-hand drive car over here is quite a rarity. I would say the reaction of friends and neighbours is almost exactly the same as with my Alfa 166. They all say it looks really nice and do genuinely seem to like it...but they wouldn't actually buy one themselves.
bdeithrick   
Thu Mar 18 2010, 09:16pm
Member No: #70
well its a show grabber. all the time im parked on the street, i get heads turning and stareing its great, its like a foxy blond walking in high heals it get looks everywhere.
I was washing it today at the airport, and two work men in orange reflctive jackets just stared at me the whole time, i think they wear polish or latvian ,, them lads love their cars and they could not get enough of what they were looking at.
Every body that gets in comments on it with in 5-7 seconds even non car people ,, "wow is this a new car" i say yes,, hehe
C6Dave   
Thu Mar 18 2010, 11:31pm

I had someone double park next to me today who sid he was a long time Citroen fan and had been in love with the C6 since it came out and his next (and last car) would be one in the next year or so

Got asked a few questions about the car which I happily answered
Website
michaelb   
Fri Mar 19 2010, 08:15am
Member No: #14
Sniff, I'm feeling left out; in London no one gives it a second glance
bdeithrick   
Sat Mar 20 2010, 11:53am
Member No: #70
michaelb wrote ...

you will have to get out more,, my London experience notes that Londoners dont drive everyday,and the place to get noticed is in the Congestion charge area.
So you need to drive everyday in the congestion charge
tonyrome   
Sun Mar 21 2010, 08:58pm
michaelb wrote ...

It depends on the area you live in. The streets where I often park are full of gorgeous exotica, so it's not likely to register when you're next to Ferrari 430s, Maserati Quattroportes/GrandTurismos, Lamborghini Gallardos, Porsche Panameras etc.! I've just come back from a beautiful hotel about 120km from Berlin and you should have seen the car park . If you are parking next to Golfs and the like, then I guess it'll stand out more . As I said before, over here, most people are more interested in the fact that it's RHD.
ressla   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 11:28am
Member No: #74
I had the mickey taken out of me for ages. My previous car had been a BMW 535d with virtually every conceivable extra (£14k of options the first owner had specced on it, then sold the car after 2months which is when i got it!). Ineveitably some people saw this as a step down from a prestige marque into the "normal car" market.

Some friends would rib me in jokingly about the C6 , asking whether my next purchase would be Proton etc.

However a couple of people were frankly quite rude and said they thought my wife must be embarassed to be in the car.

The car never fails to get attention though and i've had people who I've seen around but never really spoken to before asking me "why did you sell the beemer?".

C6Dave   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 12:00pm

ressla wrote ...

The car never fails to get attention though and i've had people who I've seen around but never really spoken to before asking me "why did you sell the beemer?".

Probably because they are everywhere as everyone and their granny has one
Website
verycleverman   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 02:51pm
Member No: #65
I seem to recall a couple of years ago the 3 series outsold the Mundaneo, thus endowing the Ford with a degree of exclusivity!

Pete.
tonyrome   
Sun Mar 28 2010, 02:10pm
ressla wrote ...
However a couple of people were frankly quite rude and said they thought my wife must be embarassed to be in the car.

That's a bit much! There's certainly nothing to be embarrassed about driving one. That sounds more like the badge snobs, which I think is typical of the lower spec. Audi/BMW/Mercedes owners, who think they've got something better than they really have. It's a bit different if you're parking next to the Maserati/Ferrari owners, as they are clearly in a different bracket.
Mustangviper   
Wed Jul 20 2011, 06:59pm
Member No: #550
mine was noticed by a citroen enthusiast on the daY I purchased the car , said it was a great car and went all misty eyed remembering how one oh his lads was conceived in on of them whilst he was away on a roadtrip to the continent with his then Gf now wife.

Otherwise very little reaction from others , i part exchanged my E-90 and my friends have smirked about it , I at times get paranoid thinking what if they are right , worried about reliability , telephone interface an issue in the first week .....
ciao_chao   
Wed Jul 20 2011, 09:20pm
Member No: #518
Now it's holiday season and there are masses of Frenchies in Britain, I've been getting plenty of smiles and waves. At a Bristol owners club meet, they also responded positively.

People who know about cars respect the C6 in general. Everybody else doesn't matter.
travlician   
Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:06am
Member No: #350
So far I've had a lot of positive reactions, none negative and even got reactions from people that I never expected them to react in a positive way. Then again, on a small island like this this car is super exclusive and stylish.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club