Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Myths, Legends and horror stories... all things TPMS

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
MGmike   
Wed May 16 2018, 08:58pm
Member No: #3151
Ok as mentioned elsewhere a new thread where we can discuss and share info (horror stories) on all things TPMS and Tyre sensor related...

I'd also like to see the thread used as a register of anyone who has invested in TPMS tools and is willing to help other members. Help can be free or in exchange for a number of beer tokens, that's up to you and the other party to arrange off line.

So I'll start the ball rolling...
I've invested in a Autel TS401 and Lexia (waaaay back) and I'm available to help in the Edinburgh area most weekends and Whitehaven, Cumbria during the week.

I'm not saying I'm an expert, cos I'm not! But I have been there, done that and hope to get the tee shirt someday soon.

If this thread develops perhaps the Admin could make it a sticky?
**Admin Edit** Done
1 User said Thank You to MGmike for this Post :
 321dave (17 May 2018)
MGmike   
Wed May 16 2018, 09:30pm
Right lets start with this post from Tyre Recommendations

bargi wrote ...

MGmike wrote ...

bargi wrote ...

MGmike wrote ...

you don't need to worry about the codes, the C6 is clever and doesn't care which corner they are on... or more correctly.. it checks which code is received from which corner during initialisation.

It didn't when I got my tyres last changed. The garage put the wheels back on in different corners and I ended up destroying a brand new Michelin because it was reporting the wrong corner.(long story)

Well that's interesting! I'm intrigued to hear your long story by PM of you want to get it off your chest?

I've been doing a bit (lot) of reading to understand how the various systems work before I paid out for a TPMS reader/programming tool. In the C6 the TPMS ECU is capable of storing up to 10 sensor codes (IIRC) to cover summer and winter wheel sets for our European brethren who need such things. The ECU doesn't reference them to any particular location when displayed in Lexia, unlike the C5 which is location dependent. How the ecu works out which is where is quite clever but does rely on information from other senors e.g. ABS, Steering angle, speed, BSI etc. Therefore, if yours is reporting the location incorrectly it's just possible a wheel sensor or some other electronic mismatch is confusing things.

I think some controlled testing is called for to see if I confirm my understanding...

I'm up for testing , have a Lexi/Diagbox also if that helps.
Let me know what you want to do.

Story goes like this. Got all 4 tyres changed by a local garage. I even called first to confirm they could handle TPMS systems and it was a Citroen, to which they said yes.

Picked up the car and drove home. Short drive in London not going over 30mph.
3 days later I have a hour or so drive. Due to an accident the first 10-15 miles were slow driving, not going over 30/40mph.
Once clear of the accident sped up to 70mph+, almost immediately tyre pressure warning soon followed by puncture detected warning, for the rear right tyre.
Pulled over to the hard shoulder and had a look at the tyre, was pumped up and fine.
Jumped back in the car and drove for an hour at motorway speeds, car handled fine.
When I pulled off the motorway sliproad and made a right hand turn I heard a thumping, pulled over and there was smoke coming from the rear LEFT wheel. The rim had almost completely chewed through the brand new Primacy 3!

1. The garage had damaged the valve. Under about 40-50mph the valve stayed sealed. Over that speed the centrifugal force pushed the valve over slightly and caused a leak.

2. The garage put the wheels back on different corners but definitely didn't update. I tested by letting the air out of all the wheels and all reported the wrong corners.

First of all I have to say OUCH that must have hurt

I wasn't suggesting you as a test bed, just that I would do some on my C6 to help my understanding of what's going on. Having said that, two test cars would provide a control group for comparison. Lets see where this takes us..

For those that want to read the techie stuff there's a document in the technical section on the workings of the TPMS system. It took me a few reads to understand it all but if you stick with it and relate it to what's happening on your car it should help.

As I said above the sensors should be location independent and that will be the subject of further testing to confirm or not. For now I start with sensor stem replacement.

As we all know aluminium doesn't rust....err well not quite! It does "corrode" oxidise with the same effect as rust i.e. it's knackered! When this happens a valve stem will require replacing. I've done this many times on my C5's over the past 18 years and now replace them as a matter of course every second tyre change.

Replacement is a straight forward affair but there are a few things to watch out for
1, it's highly likely the stem will want to rotate as it's being undone, this will break the plastic body of the sensor and the "aerial" which is connected to the underside of the stem by a small screw. Best option is to drill them out from the back
2, the screw on the aerial is [%*^#@!] small and easily lost!

Replacement stems are only a few quid on the bay of E and replacement is a must on a regular basis.

That's a start.... next up Sensor activation but... not tonight, I have a bottle of red to finish...
2 User said Thank You to MGmike for this Post :
 321dave (17 May 2018) , Muffin (21 July 2018)
cruiserphil   
Fri May 18 2018, 10:18am

Member No: #38
Hello MGMike,

1, it's highly likely the stem will want to rotate as it's being undone, this will break the plastic body of the sensor and the "aerial" which is connected to the underside of the stem by a small screw. Best option is to drill them out from the back

GMerry posted a procedure using a pilot drill a few years ago which I have used to great success. He specs. the drill size - Click Here -.

I also have an Autel TS401, Lexia/Diagbox and a tyre machine (alloy friendly).

Best regards,

Phil C.
2 User said Thank You to cruiserphil for this Post :
 MGmike (20 May 2018) , keithc (13 July 2018)
mtee   
Sun May 20 2018, 06:50pm
Member No: #1924
MGmike wrote ...

the sensors should be location independent and that will be the subject of further testing to confirm or not. For now I start with sensor stem replacement.

I use 2 set of tyres & wheels: summer and winter. My C6 remembers all 8 sensors AND their locations.

When I buy new tyres, the dealer programs the sensors and locations correctly. As I switch fronts to rear and rears to front for every second winter/summer to balance tyre wear, after such a swap I once noticed that a flat was reported from the wrong end of the car.

Is it possible to re-program the sensor locations without Lexia or garage visit?
MGmike   
Sun May 20 2018, 08:09pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

GMerry posted a procedure using a pilot drill a few years ago which I have used to great success. He specs. the drill size - Click Here -.

I also have an Autel TS401, Lexia/Diagbox and a tyre machine (alloy friendly).

Thanks Phil
I've seen a few threads on the TPMS, Sensor etc and I'll try to refer to them over the weeks. Also thanks for stepping up with the offer of TS401 help. Just how many C6's are on the emerald isle?

MGmike   
Sun May 20 2018, 08:18pm
mtee wrote ...

I use 2 set of tyres & wheels: summer and winter. My C6 remembers all 8 sensors AND their locations.

When I buy new tyres, the dealer programs the sensors and locations correctly. As I switch fronts to rear and rears to front for every second winter/summer to balance tyre wear, after such a swap I once noticed that a flat was reported from the wrong end of the car.

Is it possible to re-program the sensor locations without Lexia or garage visit?

I'll try to explain in a later thread how the dealer shouldn't need to reprogram after a tyre change.

Interesting to hear you had an incorrect position reported after the winter/summer change. This plus bargi's experience suggests the electronics are capable of making mistakes!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club