Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Anyone got feedback on any of the Diagbox offerings out there (or other readers) ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Wed Aug 09 2023, 01:06pm
Member No: #2793
I have an ancient Lexia installation, but it's incredibly clunky compared to more modern aftermarket scanners. On the other hand I guess it does some things they don't. Most impressive aftermarket thing I've seen lately was a Snap on Verus (used on a 2015 308 we have). Trouble is, of course, justifying the very substantial cost of even a used one.

It's more confusing then, as looking at reviews for (say) Snap on, is like looking for a balanced debate between Ford and Holden owners in Australia.

I have tried an intermediate level Icarssoft unit, but I'm not getting the feeling I would want to rely on it.

Any feedback on what might be worth updating to, most welcome. Ideally, I want something that does the newer models too -- at least up to 2017 ish.

Mike.
MGmike   
Wed Aug 09 2023, 07:43pm
Member No: #3151
Mike,
I borrow an Autel Maxisys from time to time and it does all that diagbox can. Not cheap but not Snap-on numbers.

I've also watched a few Youtube's on the Topdon unit. It's very similar to the Autel unit and gets good reviews. Again, price is circa £1k so not diagbox/lexia interface bracket.

Michael

onthecut   
Thu Aug 10 2023, 06:43am
Member No: #2793
Many thanks for the input.

It really is getting to be a minefield, the diagnostics game. Generic codes seem to be increasingly useless, as if you check against individual manufacturers' definition for a given code, they vary wildly.Naturally, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that car makers do their best to frustrate aftermarket access.

While a four figure readere seems a kick in the wallet at the outset, if you have several cars across a family and dealers are charging around £100 for a session, it doesn't take long to be at break even, especially if a reader is required for some basic srvice stuff.

According to the sometimes vitriolic comments regarding Snap on, manufacturers are looking at introducing some new protocol into their vehicles which will render existing diagnostic units unusable with them and apparently not updateable. New kit required altogether.

As I recall, my first Vauxhall Viva had just four fuses and one relay (starter solenoid). Noisy, slow and no perceptible brakes, but I'd take the elctrics from it anyday !

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club