Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Noise from front of engine

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Citnut   
Mon Mar 26 2018, 11:33am
Member No: #2182

Hi all, Can someone tell me what the clicking/clacking noise that is from front of engine, it happens when unlocking by remote, also when any door or boot is opened and also when turning on ignition to start.

Help! Bob.
Tjensen   
Mon Mar 26 2018, 12:21pm
Member No: #954
Hydraulic pump tries to start ? Should have been a whirring noise.
Citnut   
Tue Mar 27 2018, 11:30am
Thanks for your advise but I don't think its the pump as you point out that would be a whirring sound. This is a clacking (is that a word?) sound from the very front of engine. Bob
Eric   
Tue Mar 27 2018, 02:14pm
Member No: #425
Hello Bob,

If you are not hearing a good pump sound maybe something has failed in the pump and it is the cause of your "clacking" sound. There are a lot of bearings at the front of the engine. Is the alternator clutch/bearing OK? Can you pin-point exactly where at the very front of the engine - top or bottom, left or right? good hunting, Eric.
Citnut   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 05:02pm
Thanks Eric, Have had my ear in the engine and you and Tjenson are correct, the noise is a whirring and clacking sound and comes from below the engine oil filler (2.2) so presumably its a new suspension pump required, I notice that a c5 pump is the same,
does that apply for the 2.2.or only the 2.7? Thanks again Bob.
Eric   
Wed Mar 28 2018, 07:33pm
Member No: #425
Hello Bob, Glad you have tracked it down. I have no experience of 2.2 v 2.7 except I do know the suspension is different on an exclusive 2.7 like mine and a 2.2. There are a few members who have 2.2 cars so they may be able to confirm one way or the other. A Citroen parts department may also be able to tell you if they are the same.
Good Luck, Eric.
1 User said Thank You to Eric for this Post :
 Citnut (30 March 2018)
sotweedfactor   
Sat Mar 31 2018, 10:08am
Member No: #2185
If the oil filler that you mention is the one for engine oil, has a yellow oil can image on it and is to the front right of the engine (as you stand at the font, looking into the engine bay)... then it's not near the suspension pump which is behind the headlamp, to your left. The alternator is also not nearby. There's not much of an active nature immediately below the oil filler on my 2.2 car. When I lock/unlock it, there's an array of noises coming from various elements under the bonnet. One of the more notable is a fairly sharp 'crrrrk' for about 1 second - seems to come more from the top of the engine - maybe the EGR valve. Eric B
1 User said Thank You to sotweedfactor for this Post :
 Citnut (03 April 2018)
Citnut   
Tue Apr 03 2018, 11:44am
Thanks for your input, Yes the noise is coming from the front nearside under the headlamp, put it down to my age, also it was too wet to scramble underneath, that's my excuse anyway, but its no doubt a new suspension pump assembly is required, fairly quickly I guess, don't want to get stranded miles for home! Regards Bob (citnut}
1 User said Thank You to Citnut for this Post :
 321dave (03 April 2018)
sotweedfactor   
Tue Apr 03 2018, 04:45pm
Member No: #2185
Hi Bob. Sounds more like the power steering pump - fairly close to the nearside headlamp. Has a black filler cap 'DIRECTION ASSISTEE' atop a black plastic tower. The headlamp unit itself contains two motors and a solenoid, but these would only activate when using the lights. There are several 'black boxes' mounted below the headlight that look as though they could be relays.
1 User said Thank You to sotweedfactor for this Post :
 Citnut (05 April 2018)
Citnut   
Thu Apr 05 2018, 12:02pm
Hi, Eric, That's useful info. thanks, this morning the noise is considerably less which makes me think it maybe from something else as you suggest, will have to get underneath to ascertain the culprit, with axle stands of course. Bob.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club