Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
DesH   
Mon Mar 05 2018, 07:06pm
Member No: #3457
MGmike wrote ...

Have I got a deal for you....

From experience that sentence tends to end up with similar results to the phrase "hold my beer!"

When I say I'm in no rush I was thinking more like next few weeks is fine rather than several months!!
DesH   
Mon Mar 05 2018, 07:11pm
Dan595 wrote ...

Hi Des,
I think you have most bases covered.
I've only had one four-figure bill in 200,000 miles and that was for dual-mass flywheel so not applicable to 2.7.

You mentioned having another car and this is a point I sometimes make to those considering a 6 - if it needs a C6 part, it may not be on the shelf and parts availability is likely to get worse rather than better. My car has had a few garage stays waiting for parts or part repair - dashboard, driveshaft and most recently suspension pump (although this was because I opted for refurb rather than new).

They are a bit heavy on tyres which may get tedious @ 3,000 miles a month.

Servicing is very reasonable. 'Fixed price repairs' from main agents are sometimes downright cheap as C6 owners pay the same as C1 owners.

Pricing is all over the place as there are so few about. Low mileage examples seem to command decent money. There is no excuse for any C6 not having a full history. If you are wanting a 'late' car, check the RP code as many cars sat around for ages before being registered.

If you have a hankering for one, go for it. Still love mine after 10 years.

Perfect thanks, just the sort of feedback I'm looking for.

While I've been snowed in over the weekend I was also looking at the Merc S Class forums to try to get an idea of likely real world reliability for those, holy cow those things are money pits! 4 figure bills are a pretty regular occurrence on cars that are 10 year old even with well below 100k miles, really does go to show the fabled German build quality really isn't always the case any more.

Seems my mind is made up.....C6 it is!
carlosbeneto   
Mon Mar 05 2018, 07:36pm
Member No: #3425
That and I'll be expecting a knock on the door from the CAA for flying VFR in Class A airspace!

Class D now I'll have you know! We're mere peasants now...

So glad you made your mind up for the C6! It's definitely a classic already!
Leo   
Tue Mar 06 2018, 09:24am
Member No: #94
Hi Des

I can echo Dan's remark - still love mine after nine years. I have never kept a car for as long. No plans to change either. These cars are hugely underrated.

Leo
ststech   
Tue Mar 06 2018, 06:38pm
Member No: #1845
My C6 is likely to be up for sale, it is known in this forum as the previous owner Stephen Welsh can testify.
It's a 2007 2.7HDI Mauritious blue with cream leather lounge pack 114k miles,
just had the timing belt replaced i'm looking for Circa £5K.

Car is located in Crewkerne Somerset TA18 8EL.
Website
DesH   
Wed Mar 07 2018, 10:00pm
Well that escalated quickly
Paschal   
Sun Mar 11 2018, 01:28pm
Member No: #375
Hi Des, Welcome to this world! I hold a biased view in so far as I haven't owned anything other than a Citroen in the last 30 years. My first ( other than the mandatory flat twin) was a slightly ratty BX and I've had nothing but BX's CX'S XM's up to the C6. The C6 was a natural choice for me, it was just a case of finding the right one which I did in 2010, a 2.7hdi Exclusive with 23,000 miles on the clock. I've put about 120000 miles on it and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.

Downside. Its not cheap to run. Apart from routine service I've rebuilt the gearbox / torque converter and replaced both front struts, both rear abs sensors, thermostat housing (on top of engine ), coolant housing (at bottom of engine), coolant pipe (beside bottom of engine) and an alternator pulley /clutch. I'm including suspension bushes and links in routine service.

As you may have gathered the lower front ball joints don't last very long but other than that I don't think that the joints and linkages are any worse than AN other. The suspension parts are shared with C5 and Peugeot 407 so they're not particularly expensive. Unfortunately the C6 is widely misunderstood so you need to be careful about what you buy.

At 100,000 miles I would be budgeting for a gearbox rebuild although IT APPEARS THAT gearbox oil changes MAY increase lifespan. The trouble with that is that the gear box seems to be a "sealed for life" assembly so that a proper oil change is difficult to achieve. I was advised by my Citroen dealer that it could not be done but after much persuasion he did it at that stage it was probably beyond redemption.

So all in all its a much better car than many would have you believe and if you're of the right mind set it will be a joy to own.
Pappnase   
Wed Mar 14 2018, 08:47pm
Member No: #1044
I drive about 135 mls per day in my C6 (2.7), Orga 10025. Bought it in October 2012 with 55 kmls, currently it got 177 kmls.

It has had some nasty and purse-wrenching repairs, EGR valves, generator, wiper motors, but all covered by warranty.
Only last year was expensive, some wear and tear repairs plus one front strut and the hydraulic pump (mechanic said he could not reuse the computer box so it had to be a new one).

But for some reason I am still running with the first battery and the first front ball joints.

I am planning to use it for another two years, or up to 235 kmls. We'll see if that works.
DesH   
Sat May 05 2018, 02:49pm
Well 5,000 happy miles of driving so far until a few nights ago I arrived home in a cloud of steam with the stop warning lit up due to overheating with virtually no warning!

Quick look and I can see the thermostat housing has split and is pouring coolant everywhere....pretty sure I've seen an online guide in here somewhere but doesn't look too bad of a job.

Have to say, what an incredible car other than that, really has taken the pain out of my daily commute...
321dave   
Sat May 05 2018, 08:53pm
Member No: #614
DesH wrote ...

Well 5,000 happy miles of driving so far until a few nights ago I arrived home in a cloud of steam with the stop warning lit up due to overheating with virtually no warning!

Quick look and I can see the thermostat housing has split and is pouring coolant everywhere....pretty sure I've seen an online guide in here somewhere but doesn't look too bad of a job.

Have to say, what an incredible car other than that, really has taken the pain out of my daily commute...

Hi Des,
I'm afraid it's an issue for all these 2.7hdi engines. The inlet and the thermostat outlet housing both need to be maintained, and checked also. So far the forum is thinking a new one fitted will last 70,000mls or thereabouts. But it can vary. What age and mileage is your C6 currently? There plenty of discussion on the forum regarding replacing them yourself if you wanted to. I did mine 2yrs ago, when my inlet tank failed, and I've covered about 25,000mls since replacing mine.
MGmike   
Sat May 05 2018, 10:04pm
Member No: #3151
Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope you caught it before too much damage has been caused. The phrase buyer beware comes to mind... even if you have racked up the miles in the first month or so.

Yours is a lesson to all C6 owners, the lesson being... even if it's not broken, fix it!!!

Replacing the thermostat housing and the inlet manifold as a preventative measure at or around 80-100k miles (8-10 years) is a must. I personally wouldn't sell a car that hadn't had these replaced whilst in my ownership.
My YR56 is a victim of the manifold failure which, to be fair is way worse than a thermostat failure because it lets the water out at the bottom of the engine and therefore the temp gauge doesn't report a temperature increase! I'll post a picture of the failure in the next few days. I knew what I was taking on just for the fun of tearing the unit down to see just how much damage has be done, that and I have some time to kill where I can't get at an MG!.

If you don't replace the inlet, pleaseeeee.. fit a low coolant level sensor (see tech section member tutorials) to help protect your engine in the future.

321dave   
Sun May 06 2018, 08:58am
Member No: #614
MGmike wrote ...

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope you caught it before too much damage has been caused. The phrase buyer beware comes to mind... even if you have racked up the miles in the first month or so.

Yours is a lesson to all C6 owners, the lesson being... even if it's not broken, fix it!!!

Replacing the thermostat housing and the inlet manifold as a preventative measure at or around 80-100k miles (8-10 years) is a must. I personally wouldn't sell a car that hadn't had these replaced whilst in my ownership.
My YR56 is a victim of the manifold failure which, to be fair is way worse than a thermostat failure because it lets the water out at the bottom of the engine and therefore the temp gauge doesn't report a temperature increase! I'll post a picture of the failure in the next few days. I knew what I was taking on just for the fun of tearing the unit down to see just how much damage has be done, that and I have some time to kill where I can't get at an MG!.

If you don't replace the inlet, pleaseeeee.. fit a low coolant level sensor (see tech section member tutorials) to help protect your engine in the future.

Hi Mike, some very good points. I've got a new thermostat housing and inlet manifold in the easy get to shelf in my shed with yellow and black tape on the boxes for emergency access!!! Did you suffer any damage after you investigated? Hopefully all was ok. I know from the state of mine that it was the original inlet manifold. My failure was just as it was going in for the new timing belt 2yrs ago. I guess to be fair my original tank failed at about 118,000mls.
MGmike   
Sun May 06 2018, 01:10pm
Member No: #3151
321dave wrote ...

Did you suffer any damage after you investigated? Hopefully all was ok. I know from the state of mine that it was the original inlet manifold. My failure was just as it was going in for the new timing belt 2yrs ago. I guess to be fair my original tank failed at about 118,000mls.

Dave, I bought the car knowing it had a blown engine and have still to go deep in to the full effects!

I started a new thread to cover my exploits - Click Here - but for now here's the pic of the inlet at 13 years and 85K miles....

You can see the outer ring of plastic supporting the seal has disintegrated around 50% of the circumference.
DesH   
Sun May 13 2018, 01:06pm
Thanks for all the feedback gents.

New thermostat housing went in yesterday, not a bad job at all thanks to the excellent guide on here and if I had to do it again I reckon I could probably have it done in about an hour now I know what I'm doing. What a piece of junk that thermostat housing is, the old one had split at the point the 2 bodies mate but also when removing the rear connecting hose the whole section that mates the the body came away while I was twisting it gently to free off the pipe! If the body hadn't split I suspect that section wouldn't have been far from going either.

Driven the car about 50 miles over 3 shortish runs so far having let it warm up fully each time before setting off first to check for issues. So far its driving fine with no loss of performance, smoke or rattles and holding both coolant and oil levels so fingers crossed no permanent damage was done when it dropped the coolant. Is there a typical failure mode when it overheats? Head gasket? Piston rings failing etc? The oil was brand new about 2000 miles previous and was at normal temp when the coolant dumped so hopefully lack of lubrication wouldn't have been an issue.

I'm not fancying setting off for my 150 mile daily round trip in it quite yet though so am about to order all the bits it needs to install a coolant sensor. Once that's in an I've done another 50 miles in short trips, if there are still no issues I'll give it a try.

Next will be the manifold when I have time, is there a guide for that on here also? Is it a big job? Also going to hunt for the coolant pipe I've heard corrodes, do people not just paint that with corrosion resistant paint as soon as they fit a new one? would seem the sensible thing to do..
DesH   
Sun May 13 2018, 02:03pm
Also, is there a tried an tested Lexia / Digibox supplier that anyone can recommend? I have a couple of laptops already for this sort of thing, one on Win95 and one on Win XP both with serial ports and USB. Feel like I'm rather working in the dark without one!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club