C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Lower Swivel Joint solution for 2006 and 2007 cars

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
markp   
Thu Feb 22 2018, 11:22am
Member No: #1746
In just under four years of ownership I've had three lower swivel joints fail! These are underneath the front hubs and contain roller bearings which get wet and fail.

Some info on c6owners.org here:
- Click Here -

I live in a wet part of the world (South West England) and drive through deep puddles and the occasional flood - which I think is a factor.

At some point in 2007 PSA changed the design of the hub carrier and lower swivel joint, in an attempt, I believe, to reduce the risk of water ingress and bearing failure.

As I've just had my third failure I've decided to do the upgrade and purchased these items:
New style hub Carriers with lower swivel joint:
- Click Here -
and
- Click Here -

Also I've ordered the new track rod ends that are necessary to fit the new hub carriers.

Here are two comparison photos - the old style carrier on the car followed by the new style carrier from roughly the same angle. You can see how the shape of the casting shields the bearing.

If you could follow the links to the items I bought you may be able to work out that I spent 356 pounds sterling (approx 400 Euro) on the parts. Note that they come with new wheel bearings, so that is a saving against future maintenance.

Apparently the garage couldn't get such a good price on these parts.

My ex-Citroen dealer mechanic is due to fit them on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted on the total cost.

The last lower swivel joint that I had replaced cost me 80GBP for the joint for a total with labour (including steering alignment at £25) of 290GBP.

I'm hoping that they will save on labour by replacing the whole assembly, as the swivel joint replacement was tricky. Doing both sides at once makes sense as they only have to do the steering alignment once. Then my future savings will be fewer replacements of the lower swivel joint, plus saving on wheel bearings that could have failed in the next 5 years perhaps.

I think that I will be reluctant to drive through floods though, submerging them makes it likely that too much water will get in.

I'll post again mid next week.

Cheers,

Mark
joopajaa   
Fri Feb 23 2018, 06:55am
Member No: #3261
Nice info about design change THANK YOU
markp   
Sat Mar 31 2018, 08:42pm
Member No: #1746
The costs broke down as follows:
356GBP for the new pair of hub carriers.
220GBP for fitting (4 hours of labour).

576GBP sub total (excluding wheel alignment)

This compares directly with 265GBP for replacement of one swivel joint replacement previously - two of which, fitted separately, would therefore be 530GBP.

So, it compares really well with replacing two joints separately. In fact, you may need to do only one wheel alignment compared to two if you have the two joints replaced separately. So, yes, really competitive cost for me.

Bearing in mind that it should save me perhaps 1 replacement swivel joint every two years (I'm factoring in an occasional new swivel joint), then it is really good value.

Also, the hub carriers came with new wheel bearings. Also, while the hubs were being done, my garage replaced the brake discs (and pads) - which was cheaper than replacing them in a separate job. All in all, I'm feeling that it was well worth doing.

The final proof will be in when I need a lower front swivel joint replacing again!

Here is a photo of the new hub carrier fitted, which compares well with the photos above:

Note that this modification also applies to early versions of the Peugeot 407.

Cheers,

Mark
ul9601   
Fri Jul 13 2018, 02:26am
Member No: #1975
Hi all,
Can you tell me the part numbers for the new track rod ends?
I've looked up service.citroen.com but I can't quite figure out the track rod end part number (i got the swivel assy p/n, new ones are 3645 97 & 3647 97, post RPO 11125)
And I'm guessing one side can be done on its own?
Cheers

EDIT: I quoted p/ns wrong - they should be 3646 97 (LH) & 3647 97 (RH) as meliskay72 correctly pointed out.
meliskay72   
Fri Jul 13 2018, 09:55pm
Member No: #1645
responding to "ul9601" specifically.
I have just completed renewal of the front pivot assemblies, within the last month, and I find some major differences against what I found to properly fit and some of your quoted refs. It really pays to cross check with someone who really knows C6's if poss.
The parts I used were as follows:-
front swivel pin assembly ref. 3646 97.. (this is the left hand one and comes complete with 'ducks foot' fitted, 3 torx bolts and hub bearing installed. It does not include a new no.12 on the exploded parts diagram, referred to as 'ball joint susp cit.ref. 3640 74. Mine were o.k so were not replaced.)

front swivel pin assembly ref. 3647 97 this is the right hand one, descs. etc all as above.
These parts were purchased from a cit. dealer in Eng. called J.& A. Rigbye & Sons but you doubtless have a local source.
The other parts I needed were the track rod ends each c/w ball joint, which were numbered 381765 for l/h and 381766 for r/h, and new ABS sensors, 2 off numbered 4545 G6 which were I think, generic. This was because the sensors are invariably damaged if you try a swop, they are a v.v tight fit, and being plastic etc. etc.
the t/r ends and ABS sensors I bought through Eurocarcare.net and are fine.

I think if you are going to the effort of replacing one side it would soon prove a false economy to not do both, and if you have a useful friend to help, so much the better.
I hope this is of some help to you. Bon chance!

best wishes, meliskay 72.
ul9601   
Sat Jul 14 2018, 01:28am
Member No: #1975
I think I got the part numbers for the upgrade swivel assy wrong.
This time around though, I'll probably just have the duck's foot replaced as RH side was done only a year ago. I will upgrade the swivel assemblu next time they are stuffed. I'm getting the stuff from Rigbye as they are far cheaper than local sources, besides they are probably ex-France anyway.
Cheers
Paulius   
Sun Aug 25 2019, 03:10pm
Member No: #1821
How does it "feel" when this bearing fails? I noticed that my left wheel 'feels' loose when doing a right turn. Could it be that bearing?
cruiserphil   
Tue Aug 27 2019, 09:00am

Member No: #38
Hello Paulius,

As wear develops you'll start to hear a light rattling and then clunking sound going over ramps and undulations in the road. If you check your front wheels the same as for a wheel bearing you may be able to detect the movement if there is wear.

Best regards,

Phil C

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club