Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Cloudy windscreens

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ricdic   
Sat Jan 13 2018, 01:00pm
Member No: #1675
I have a 2008 C6 which has been kept under cover most of its life.
I now notice that when I turn towards the sun there is a haze (similar to the one you get from smokers) over the whole screen.
I have tried removing it from botH sides wih various cleaners but none of them make any difference at all.
It therefore has to be the glass or the laminate.
Has anyone else noticed this?
C6Dave   
Sat Jan 13 2018, 02:47pm

Member No: #1
The windscreen has a heat reflecting (athermic) coating, be careful you don't damage it.
Website
ricdic   
Sun Jan 14 2018, 01:32am
Member No: #1675
I am not using anything damaging, is it possible it is this that is.causing the cloudiness, it's nearly like light fogging but it's not!
C6Dave   
Mon Jan 15 2018, 10:37pm

Basically the coating can appear 'pink' in certain light conditions when the screen is looked at from an angle, is that what your possibly seeing?
Website
vaho   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 06:32am
Member No: #2228
I think the problem for him is that the windscreen appears cloudy from inside out. The reflecting coating however can be seen only from outside the car. From inside it is not visible at all.
If that is the case and cleaning does not help then the problem may well be between the layers in which case only replacement helps.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 16 2018, 10:16am

vaho wrote ...

I think the problem for him is that the windscreen appears cloudy from inside out. The reflecting coating however can be seen only from outside the car. From inside it is not visible at all.

My understanding is that the interior has a coating as well for the HUD display?

De lamination of a screen usually occurs around the edges and is quite noticeable as a milky colour, but for the whole screen to go cloudy, not something I have seen personally apart from getting a 'traffic film' on the inside from lack of cleaning. However keeping the car under a cover in the Australian heat may have had an impact we would not necessarily see in Northern Europe?

Although if you 'Google' it - Click Here - there are methods that purpotedly work to clean cloudy windscreens.
Website
e3steve   
Wed Jan 17 2018, 04:38am
Member No: #1163
ricdic wrote ...

I have a 2008 C6 which has been kept under cover most of its life.
I now notice that when I turn towards the sun there is a haze (similar to the one you get from smokers) over the whole screen.
I have tried removing it from botH sides wih various cleaners but none of them make any difference at all.
It therefore has to be the glass or the laminate.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Try ChrisFix’s method, perhaps in the upper left corner area first(?): - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club