Tpms sensor on wrong side of car

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
p6rob   
Sat Sep 30 2017, 10:09am
Member No: #3275
Hi,
As it's the weekend and the c6 isn't yet road taxed, I've been trying to sort some of the other niggles out.
I've of them is a tyre not monitored warning for the offside front wheel.

I've had a look at the valves and the near side front looks like a conventional rubber valve and I've now confirmed, by releasing air that the car display has labeled the tyres incorrectly.
How bad an idea is it to just move the wheel from one side of the car to the other? Should I just get the tyre place to change the identity when they fit a tpms sensor to the other wheel?

Rob
Hattershaun   
Sun Oct 01 2017, 08:10am
Member No: #320
If you're a perfectionist you'll want the sensors in the corresponding wheels so the display is correct.

In reality, if you get a warning of low tyre pressure, you'd check all the tyres, it's therefore not so important.
gmerry   
Sun Oct 01 2017, 09:14am
Member No: #21
Hi P6rob, the TPMS ECU WILL correctly assign each transmitter to the correct position on the car. It just might take a little time and the ECU will have been "confused" by the missing sensor (indicated by rubber valve stem).

For example, my car always has 5 sensors fitted (4 plus spare) and if I fit the spare to a hub and place the service wheel in the boot, the ECU is more than capable of the reassignment.

If you are going to get a new sensor fitted to replace the rubber stem, its worth getting them to read the existing identities. Using an ATEC universal tool for example, they should be able to manually reassign the existing and new valves to the correct locations, so that when you leave their shop everything is 100% correct. This is the minimum you should accept from any professional service.

regards
bargi   
Mon Oct 02 2017, 08:46pm
Member No: #2590
My experience was that it doesn't relearn and unless they can reprogram it put the wheels back in the matching corners/sensors.

p6rob   
Tue Oct 03 2017, 11:11am
Member No: #3275
Thanks. Not having much luck at the moment.

Took the car to a local tyre place who 'can' do tpms reprogramming. They checked the car over, said the two remaining old tpms valves are sending weak signals and they wouldn't be able to program a new valve without the old code, so wouldn't replace the standard valve. Instead they advised going to a main dealer.
It's all a bit moot at the moment. I disconnected the battery over the weekend while trying to sort the intermittent cruise control issue and 'airbag or seatbelt pre-tensioner(s)' warning.
The cruise control seems fixed but the air bag warning has become permanent, I hope this permanence will make it easier to trace. The other issue is that, since disconnecting the battery, none of the wheels are monitored and despite diving 20 miles, haven't been re-discovered. I guess that doesn't matter too much for now as I've obtained a new set of tpms sensors from eBay and they'll need fitting and activating.
In the mean time, the C6 is now at the Garage having the autobox overhauled so it's all academic at the moment.

Rob
e3steve   
Thu Oct 05 2017, 07:37am
Member No: #1163
p6rob wrote ...
...and they wouldn't be able to program a new valve without the old code, so wouldn't replace the standard valve. Instead they advised going to a main dealer.
Rob, that’s total b o l l o c k s! I’ve programmed and re-programmed all mine using a Snap-On Solus Ultra that a mate of mine let’s me use; you just need to delete and then enter the new hex code (e.g. ID: CE18785E, on one of mine), as printed across the centreline of the replacement valve(s), and with no necessity for converting the code on a scientific calculator.

p6rob wrote ...

...The cruise control seems fixed but the air bag warning has become permanent, I hope this permanence will make it easier to trace.
Mine played up for a while, but after removing the driver’s chest airbag — the steering wheel centre — and removing/refitting the connectors it’s been fine. Give that a try.
e3steve   
Thu Oct 05 2017, 07:44am
Member No: #1163
I’ve never had much success with programming the TPMS valves using Lexia or Diagbox, but with the Solus there are fields for MAIN WHEELS, SECOND WHEELS and SPARE WHEEL. I’ll get some screenshots next time I use the device.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club