C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Battery charge failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ungarsee   
Wed May 21 2014, 09:10pm
Member No: #1407
My time with my C6 seems to be destined to be spent at the garage! Got in the car this morning and had the 'Battery charge failure' message pop up. I've spent the little spare time I've had today searching the site and the suggestion seems to be an alternator clutch failure. My mileage is around 74k so this seems in line with the 100,000 km that someone suggested theirs lasted.

Based on those with a longer C6 history than me, does this sound like the most likely culprit or could it be one of 100 different things? I'll be honest and say I've not noticed anything wrong with the car so the warning notice is the only sign. If it is the alternator clutch are there any other symptoms I should look out for to be more certain?

Thanks in advance

Phil
magicands   
Thu May 22 2014, 03:14pm
Member No: #1021
I'm surprised that you have not heard the clutch "Whining" if it has failed.
I'm no expert but I changed my clutch when it started getting noisey on tickover, I would therefore suggest that your's would do the same before failing.
Perhaps more knowledgeable owners will correct me or agree?

Good luck finding the fix.
Website
cruiserphil   
Thu May 22 2014, 07:22pm

Member No: #38
Sorry Magicands,

Our first failure of the clutch gave no indication of a problem except for the message Phil got and checking across the battery terminals in the engine compartment with a voltmeter. The voltmeter only read around 11V with the engine idling. Another check is to slacken the auxiliary belt, snag the alternator cooling fan to prevent the alternator from turning and if you can turn the pulley in both directions it's failed. Another sign was when I prised the plastic cover off the pulley I got a face full of brown dust.

On the other hand, our second failure happened suddenly on start up with a horrendous noise from the engine compartment. However, there was no dust and the pulley rotation indicated everything to be OK! But it was the pulley!

As I've mentioned before, the alternator appears robust. But I can understand Citroen garages replacing the alternator as it's all that is available to them through the parts system. Otherwise they have to source a separate pulley!

I recently sourced a genuine Bosch pulley from - Click Here -. With the right tool it can be fitted without removing the alternator.

Hope this helps,

Phil C.

Kent407   
Sat May 31 2014, 05:22pm
Member No: #1732
I just had my alternator replaced on my 407 Coupe 2.7HDi and I must admit I thought I would do it my self... but there is limited space (the AC compressor had to come out) to make space to come out etc.

The battery charge fault was coming on and and offevery 5 miles etc. And indeed the battery charge was reading around 11V when the AA man tested it.

The noise it was doing at idle, it was like a cow mmmoooo ... coming and going.

The pulley is expensive indeed they do seeem to sell around £125 as quoted.
Sometimes people sell then on eBay for less.

Make sure before you buy the pulley that this is what is gonne though. There is a video on Youtube showing how to test it.

I bought my alternator for £279 and I had to give my old one back. (this came with 2yrs warranty).

Hope you get it sorted soon
Declan1962   
Wed Nov 01 2017, 11:26am
Member No: #3242
Hi
Battery charge failure came up and my heart sank. It sank even further as the dash started kicking in warning after warning.Of course I consulted this brilliant site and discovered the possibilities of the source. It could be pulley but with no noise...I checked out alternator prices. Crikey.

My Mechanic called me to say it was the pulley which was then replaced. Timing kit all done and water pump (10 year old) at same time...she's now good for a lot longer. MOT and oil change next month.
Declan
Leeds
arconell3   
Sat Nov 04 2017, 12:24am
Member No: #922
Hi,
As for this battery charge failure, I recently had a somewhat similar experience. Mind you, fan belt and and alternator clutch were in good condition. But after just an hour standing on the driveway, the car didn't start, starter motor just slowly quit after 1 rev. So I measured the battery voltage, on the Aux clamps and it showed 10 V!! First thought: dead battery, one of the cells shorted out. Ever tried to get the battery of a C6 out? Well, I did, got the clamps off, poles partially oxidized, some white powder on them. I cleaned the poles and the clamps, measured the voltage: 12,6 V! Put the battery back, started the engine, and 2 revs later the engine was running... 2 months later it still starts like a dream.

Corrosion on battery poles could be a serious issue!! Please note: there was no grease (vaseline) on the poles, now there is!

Robert
Website
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 04 2017, 09:55am

Member No: #1
arconell3 wrote ...

Corrosion on battery poles could be a serious issue!! Please note: there was no grease (vaseline) on the poles, now there is!

Robert

Corrosion on the poles would possibly point to an earthing issue. Have a check of the earth straps on the gearbox, starter etc.
Website
gmerry   
Sun Nov 05 2017, 09:04am
Member No: #21
Robert, as well as the terminal posts, the megafuse terminals in the fusebox located on top of the battery, are also prone to corrosion.

Many years ago, I dismantled the lot, cleaned off the corrosion and reassembled with electrical grease.

Possibly, the battery is breathing some acid vapours into this area.

regards
Cisco   
Sun Nov 05 2017, 04:42pm
Member No: #1429
gmerry wrote ...

Possibly, the battery is breathing some acid vapours into this area.

Good point. Make sure the small breather pipe is connected to the battery; rhs (forward facing) as you look at it installed. Easy to overlook.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club