Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Why do our Citroens become so stiff on higher suspensio settings?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ul9601   
Wed Sep 13 2017, 07:04pm
Member No: #1975
gmerry wrote ...

I think we have established that the spring stiffness (aka nitrogen volume/pressure)) remains the same for low, normal, intermediate high and extra high positions. For the totally low position, (depressurised) the spring stiffness will be lower because all the weight will be on the suspension stops.

So what is happening at the intermediate high position. It must be something to do with a restriction in the fluid flow. So either at the damper (AMVAR) or back at the electro-hydraulic valve block.

Any other possibilities?

I thought about this as it didn't make sense to me.
The nitrogen volume is NOT constant by name of the sphere design. What is constant is mass of nitrogen as PV=nRT assuming it's an isothemal process (which is not an unreasonable assumption).
For a given pressure increase on the strut side of the sphere to increase the ride height, the same pressure increase is required within the nitrogen chamber of the sphere to maintain equilibrium. As PV = constant, the volume of the nitrogen must decrease. Now you have increase in nitrogen pressure, which means spring rate is higher and decrease in nitrogen volume, which means there is less compliance in the spring. In combination of the above, you get rock hard suspension at high setting.
Class dismissed.
arconell3   
Thu Sep 14 2017, 06:45pm
Member No: #922
ul9601 wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

I think we have established that the spring stiffness (aka nitrogen volume/pressure)) remains the same for low, normal, intermediate high and extra high positions. For the totally low position, (depressurised) the spring stiffness will be lower because all the weight will be on the suspension stops.

So what is happening at the intermediate high position. It must be something to do with a restriction in the fluid flow. So either at the damper (AMVAR) or back at the electro-hydraulic valve block.

Any other possibilities?

I thought about this as it didn't make sense to me.
The nitrogen volume is NOT constant by name of the sphere design. What is constant is mass of nitrogen as PV=nRT assuming it's an isothemal process (which is not an unreasonable assumption).
For a given pressure increase on the strut side of the sphere to increase the ride height, the same pressure increase is required within the nitrogen chamber of the sphere to maintain equilibrium. As PV = constant, the volume of the nitrogen must decrease. Now you have increase in nitrogen pressure, which means spring rate is higher and decrease in nitrogen volume, which means there is less compliance in the spring. In combination of the above, you get rock hard suspension at high setting.
Class dismissed.

The assumption being that an increase in ride height causes an increase in hydraulic pressure. Does it? And if so on what grounds? The vehicle mass (or weight) remains the same, both sprung weight and unsprung weight. What changes is the volume of the hydraulic fluid in the pressurized part of system, but not the pressure. Or does it?

Robert
Website
ul9601   
Thu Sep 14 2017, 07:02pm
The basic principle of the load leveling and manual ride control adjustment in hydroupneumatic suspension is that increase in ride height must require increase in hydraulic fluid volume, which can only be achieved by increase in hydraulic fluid pressure. This is not an assumption as there is no other means to control the ride height. The ride height adjustment must be explained with the principle of hydropneumatic suspension (and electronic control of it, in the case of Hydractive Citroens).
Constant ride height is ensured by ride height adjuster regardless of the sprung weight. Manual ride height control overrides this by allowing additional hydraulic pressure to be introduced to the strut side of the sphere, simulating large sprung weight condition. As there is not an actual load to maintain the constant ride height (at normal setting), the suspension rises to mid-high or high, depending on the manual override setting.
arconell3   
Thu Sep 14 2017, 09:09pm
ul9601 wrote ...

The basic principle of the load leveling and manual ride control adjustment in hydroupneumatic suspension is that increase in ride height must require increase in hydraulic fluid volume, which can only be achieved by increase in hydraulic fluid pressure. This is not an assumption as there is no other means to control the ride height. The ride height adjustment must be explained with the principle of hydropneumatic suspension (and electronic control of it, in the case of Hydractive Citroens).
Constant ride height is ensured by ride height adjuster regardless of the sprung weight. Manual ride height control overrides this by allowing additional hydraulic pressure to be introduced to the strut side of the sphere, simulating large sprung weight condition. As there is not an actual load to maintain the constant ride height (at normal setting), the suspension rises to mid-high or high, depending on the manual override setting.

...must require increase in hydraulic fluid volume, which can only be achieved by increase in hydraulic fluid pressure. ...
This is where I think there is a problem in the equation. As for the increased volume, that is correct. As for the increased pressure, it is not. At least not in the static condition, i.e. once the force to increase the height has done its job and the car has reached the high(er) position. In other words, there is an increased pressure while the car is being lifted, delivered by the BHI (hydraulic pump unit). Once it reaches the higher position, the pump stops and the system returns to its static equilibrium. The static forces on the hydraulic system and therefore on the membrane of the suspension sphere return to the same values as before the car was lifted, simply because the forces working on the hydraulic system haven't changed between the static low and the static high position.

Again, I am referring to a static condition, or rather 2 static conditions, and a lifting action to get from one position to the next. It is only during the lifting action itself that the hydraulic force in the system increases.

Once that (higher) position is reached and we start driving the car, the strut contains more hydraulic fluid, but under the same pressure as when it was in the normal (lower) position.

Now, while driving in the higher position, the dynamics may have changed as compared to the normal position, not so much as a result of the higher liquid volume but more as a result of the change in geometry of the higher position as compared to the normal position. Another (additional) explanation may be that the fluid flow within the strut is different in the high position as compared to the low position, i.e. more restricted.

Robert

Website
travlician   
Thu Sep 14 2017, 09:36pm
Member No: #350
A simpel test (I've got no time right now to do this): use the Lexia test procedure to test the spheres and when the program opens the AMVAR valves (you can then easily press down 1 corner of the car by hand), disconnect the corresponding AMVAR valve. Probably only feasible for the fronts but that will be evident already. Then put the car in high suspension and test drive (probably the car will be so wobbly that you should not do this on a public road or high speed).
ul9601   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 05:18am
arconell3 wrote ...

...must require increase in hydraulic fluid volume, which can only be achieved by increase in hydraulic fluid pressure. ...
This is where I think there is a problem in the equation. As for the increased volume, that is correct. As for the increased pressure, it is not. At least not in the static condition, i.e. once the force to increase the height has done its job and the car has reached the high(er) position. In other words, there is an increased pressure while the car is being lifted, delivered by the BHI (hydraulic pump unit). Once it reaches the higher position, the pump stops and the system returns to its static equilibrium. The static forces on the hydraulic system and therefore on the membrane of the suspension sphere return to the same values as before the car was lifted, simply because the forces working on the hydraulic system haven't changed between the static low and the static high position.

Again, I am referring to a static condition, or rather 2 static conditions, and a lifting action to get from one position to the next. It is only during the lifting action itself that the hydraulic force in the system increases.

Once that (higher) position is reached and we start driving the car, the strut contains more hydraulic fluid, but under the same pressure as when it was in the normal (lower) position.

Now, while driving in the higher position, the dynamics may have changed as compared to the normal position, not so much as a result of the higher liquid volume but more as a result of the change in geometry of the higher position as compared to the normal position. Another (additional) explanation may be that the fluid flow within the strut is different in the high position as compared to the low position, i.e. more restricted.

Robert

I do not agree that the hydraulic pressure reverts to its original static pressure.
How is this higher ride height maintained if everything goes back to the same state as normal ride height?
As I stated before, ride height adjustment and load leveling are directly interlinked – if what you say is true, the ride comfort should be the same when it’s empty or fully laden. But is it?

What is the ride height difference between normal and high setting? I'm roughly guessing a couple of inches and the length of the suspension around a foot?
That's around 10° change in suspension geometry - which is pretty small compared to the movement of the suspension arm in its travel range.
gmerry   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 07:31pm
Member No: #21
The suspended mass is the same at whatever ride height the car is.

The nitrogen pressure, for a STATIC situation, therefore must be the same.

The dynamic stiffness depends on the hydraulic throttling:-

TRY THIS TEST! In Lexia, Diagbox, perform the AMVAR suspension test. Its possible via the test to have "soft as a pillow" suspension rates, or rock hard. It completely depends on the suspension damper settings.

Best regards

PS, if the pressure was not the same at whatever height, this would imply a NET force which would accelerate the car skywards (until stopped by the dampers of course)

Dan595   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 09:29pm
Member No: #299
At high suspension settings, we have lots of travel in the 'bump' direction but next to nothing in 'rebound'. Hence it feels very harsh. You are not on the bump stops but rather on the rebound stops, and the effect is very similar.
ul9601   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 09:53pm
Ok I'm genuinely curious why it is that the suspension sets to rock hard when ride is raised to high. If anything, that's exactly when you need more compliance in springing/damping action as you would raise ride height to obtain more ground clearance to negotiate greater undulation on the road (or more like offroad).

For pre-Hydractive hydropneumatic suspension Citroens, the bump is as harsh as rebound at high setting, so I'm not sure if the rebound stop explains this.
ul9601   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 10:21pm
gmerry wrote ...

The suspended mass is the same at whatever ride height the car is.

Yes, but the mechanism of ride height change and self levelling is one and the same. When the suspended mass is increased, the height corrector automatically adjust the hydraulic fluid supply to restore to normal ride height. When you change ride height either you manually increase or reduce the fluid supply to raise or lower the ride height.

gmerry wrote ...

The nitrogen pressure, for a STATIC situation, therefore must be the same.

The dynamic stiffness depends on the hydraulic throttling:-

TRY THIS TEST! In Lexia, Diagbox, perform the AMVAR suspension test. Its possible via the test to have "soft as a pillow" suspension rates, or rock hard. It completely depends on the suspension damper settings.

Best regards

Ok, so you are saying that you can manually manipulate the damping setting so that you can have soft suspension rate at high ride height, with lexia connected?

gmerry wrote ...

PS, if the pressure was not the same at whatever height, this would imply a NET force which would accelerate the car skywards (until stopped by the dampers of course)

When you increase the ride height, you are increasing its potential energy, which is achieved by work. The work is carried out by force, which is pressure x area. The area remains the same, so pressure must be higher. At higher ride height, therefore, the static pressure of the hydraulic fluid is higher. For equilibrium, nitrogen pressure must be the same as that of hydraulic fluid.
Higher nitrogen pressure means higher spring rate, stiff ride.

arconell3   
Mon Sep 18 2017, 06:06pm
ul9601 wrote ...

When you increase the ride height, you are increasing its potential energy, which is achieved by work. The work is carried out by force, which is pressure x area. The area remains the same, so pressure must be higher. At higher ride height, therefore, the static pressure of the hydraulic fluid is higher. For equilibrium, nitrogen pressure must be the same as that of hydraulic fluid.
Higher nitrogen pressure means higher spring rate, stiff ride.

I am afraid that this is a misconception of the physical meaning of Energy and work.

Just as an example:
Take a weight of 1 Lbs, put it on the lowest step of the stairs. Now pick it up, walk up the stairs and put it on the uppermost step.

Questions:
has the weight (downstairs it was 1 Lbs) changed between the bottom and the top of the staircase?
has its mass changed?
Has the force that the 1Lbs weight exerts on the step changed?

Was there any work (unit Nm) involved in moving the 1Lbs weight upstairs?

Robert

(Sorry, I am an old and retired physics teacher.. with a lousy pension, but still being able to afford a C6
Website
ul9601   
Mon Sep 18 2017, 06:54pm
I can see you are a teacher, with the way you lay out questions... and not giving out straight answers .
I'll play along anyway:
The answers are, no, no, no and yes.
I'm sure German pension is fairly reasonable and C6 is not an expensive car by any stretch of imagination.

Paulius   
Mon Oct 23 2017, 10:29pm
Member No: #1821
(even more popcorn)
ul9601, does the pressure of a tyre increase when you go uphill?

Yes, the pressure does increase when you go uphill, but only as a function of upwards momentum the tyre has to transfer to the car during the ascend. Practically that is neglible.

One could wrongfully compare tyres to hydropneumatics in a way that increasing the tyre pressure by inflating them does indeed change the ride height. But the pressure does not increase with height, because static height alone does not increase mass or, more relevantly, weight of a car. It builds up because of the ever-increasing resistance from the rubber that has to be flexed.
If rubber of a tyre was softer and easier to flex by a particular amount, it would show characteristics, such as considerably inreasing in size before starting to display significant increase in resistance which would only then lead to pressure build-up.

Now, when a car is being raised by hydropneumatics, nothing resists it's ascend but the neglible forces mentioned above. The hydraulic cylinders literally bleed the increase in pressure off, simply by expanding, and not flexing somehow.

I could believe that suspension gets stiff on the bottom position because of the upper travel end-point (wheels can't travel up no more).
And I could believe that it gets hard on the top position because of it actually ramming up against it's lower travel end-point, effectively increasing the actual pressure of the system. And only that would then in turn translate into stiffer spheres.
But that would have absolutely nothing to do with med-high setting. And only theories that have to do with suspension arm angles seem to be reasonable.
I would even buy a non-linear suspension cylinder volume/length ratio, but mechanically that, in my understanding, should involve such illogical things as variable diameter of both the actual cylinder and piston (for example, the diameter should be smaller in the middle part of the cylinder). AMVAR could do it, but it's been definitely ruled out.

That is how I am trying to work this out. Still not sure on the actual reason this mysterious behaviour takes place.
ul9601   
Tue Oct 24 2017, 02:01am
I assume you've already read the Citroen technical literature concerning hydropneumatic suspension and how it automatically maintains constant ride height (and allows manual ride height adjustment)?
e3steve   
Tue Oct 24 2017, 05:58am
Member No: #1163
Loving this thread!
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club