Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Uh Oh: "Battery Charge Faulty" message....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
jeanlepharmacien   
Mon Jun 26 2017, 01:39pm
Member No: #2484
3 days ago got the above message with aircon going off immediately..outside temp 40+degC. Not good.
Have trickle charged battery back up to full again (took 4 starts and 14 miles before it went to immediate economy mode on switch off) and am off to the nearest Citroen place tomorrow (12 mile journey)
Have read the posts on this problem ( I had no warning noises from the engine area but car has done 151k km) - does anyone know main dealer costs of repair/replacement of alternator?

gmerry   
Mon Jun 26 2017, 06:19pm
Member No: #21
Hello Jean, I had the same warning back in March.

I think its odds on the alternator pulley has failed (I had no rust or noise) so you should instruct the repairer to only replace that item, not the entire alternator.

Also the replacement does not require the alternator to be removed.

Personally I would buy the pulley myself, because Citroen will say its not available as a spare item on its own. If they won't fit your part, find an independent who will.

regards
jeanlepharmacien   
Mon Jun 26 2017, 07:32pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hello Jean, I had the same warning back in March.

I think its odds on the alternator pulley has failed (I had no rust or noise) so you should instruct the repairer to only replace that item, not the entire alternator.

Also the replacement does not require the alternator to be removed.

Personally I would buy the pulley myself, because Citroen will say its not available as a spare item on its own. If they won't fit your part, find an independent who will.

regards

Unfortunately buying myself could be a struggle as would finding an independent as I'm currently in central France...
I'm stuck with Citroen Agence really. On the plus side..I have got an extended [Citroen] warranty whom I have already checked with and I'm covered if a submit the garage bill.
It's bad enough booking in and sorting this out in French as no one round here speaks English (but would you expect anyone in UK garage to speak French??!)
gmerry   
Mon Jun 26 2017, 07:53pm
Member No: #21
Oh well, maybe this will help

La poulie à roue libre d'alternateur est mauvais

regards

jeanlepharmacien   
Tue Jun 27 2017, 08:58pm
Bon' d'accord. Got to Agence with 45% battery left - just made it I think
At Agence appointment initially showed battery fault but later diagnostic showed alternator faulty [surprie]. They were already aware of this possibility.
After many phone calls [by them] devis [legally binding estimate] showed £760 GBP fitted including new tensioner and 'courant' [serpentine belt] so not bad....
Part expected 24 hours and fitting day after.
Next: 'courtesy car' does not exist in France and they were embarrassed to find they had nothing. Eventually turned up with 1999 Xantia 1.9TD wreck which drives better than it looks [all mechanical and elecs worked-sort of] Having had 3x Xantia's 1.9TD in the family driven to > 270k miles each we are happy. Drives *much better* on these roads than a 2016 fiat/Kia/Ford

All done in my pidgin French [no English spoken hereabouts]. Unfortunately this has enhanced my 'supercow' powers in my wife's eyes..]
Anyway; on to Montlucon for my new lawnmower tomorrow in the Xantia...[only 50Km each way]

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club