C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: 3.0 HDi Forum

Type 2 door mirrors...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Thu May 11 2017, 09:40am
Member No: #1163
Had cause to faff with NewC6Steve over the weekend -- the passenger door mirror had become intermittent to powerfold-upon-locking. Luckily I have a (type 1) spare l/h assembly and, upon disassembly of the offender, I diagnosed a lazy or failing fold motor. Re-assembly, using the fold mechanism from the older spare unit, is pretty straightforward, but great care needs to be observed in order to prevent every plastic retainer for the covers being broken off!!

Here's the rub: Type 2 mirror glasses are not photochromic...

PSA giveth (electric steering column adjustment), PSA taketh away!
ul9601   
Thu May 11 2017, 09:50am
Member No: #1975
are they physically different?
cruiserphil   
Thu May 11 2017, 02:38pm

Member No: #38
e3Steve,

Coincidentally, having the same problem with the left hand door mirror on the 3.0 here.

UL9601,

The mirror on the 3.0 HDI is larger/deeper, per C5 X7.

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Thu May 11 2017, 06:00pm
Member No: #614
Hi Steve & Phil,
Which mirror design do you both prefer? Type 1 or 2?
I love the type 1 polychromatic mirrors myself!! Can't believe the newer mirrors lost that function! How about the interior rear view mirror? I assume they left that original?

Which would you prefer, electric adjustable column or the chromatic exterior mirrors? I'm guessing the answer could have been both!!
e3steve   
Sat May 13 2017, 01:54pm
321dave wrote ...

Hi Steve & Phil,
Which mirror design do you both prefer? Type 1 or 2?
I love the type 1 polychromatic mirrors myself!! Can't believe the newer mirrors lost that function! How about the interior rear view mirror? I assume they left that original?

Which would you prefer, electric adjustable column or the chromatic exterior mirrors? I'm guessing the answer could have been both!!
I'm not sure which I prefer the look of, but the later type are nice to use. The interior mirror is still self-dimming, and the wiring is present in the doors; just the pairs for mirror heat are presented at the glasses, and there's no photochromic circuitry in the newer ones!

The electric steering column is nice, particularly now that mine is programmed for key-off/door-open auto-elevation (thanks for that heads-up, Shaun!)
321dave   
Sat May 13 2017, 02:14pm
Great answer Steve. Enjoy.
cruiserphil   
Sun May 14 2017, 02:25pm

Member No: #38
I'm with E3Steve.

The visibility on the deeper mirrors is really good. Although, I adjust quickliy to the mirrors on the 2.7, probably as I don't get to drive the 3.0 that much
321dave   
Sun May 14 2017, 08:21pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

I'm with E3Steve.

The visibility on the deeper mirrors is really good. Although, I adjust quickliy to the mirrors on the 2.7, probably as I don't get to drive the 3.0 that much

Hi Phil, is there much difference from between a well maintained 2.7 and the 3.0. You and Steve have both cars back to back at the moment.
e3steve   
Sun May 14 2017, 09:44pm
321dave wrote ...

cruiserphil wrote ...

I'm with E3Steve.

Hi Phil, is there much difference from between a well maintained 2.7 and the 3.0. You and Steve have both cars back to back at the moment.
I'm still in awe of my 3.0(D). It positively storms away from standstill, compared to the 2.7. However, my 2.7 feels amazingly similar, once rolling.

I tend to pootle about in the 3.0, mainly because I'm pooping my pants over kerbing a wheel or knocking the corner off a bumper!!

I love to drive the 2.7 like it's a Lancia Stratos... Jeez, does it ever grip on roundabouts
321dave   
Mon May 15 2017, 12:06am
Another good answer Steve. I had a similar set of large mirrors on my X7 C5 and they were great for visability. But I like the slim line C6 mirror as well, and as Phil mentioned you get used to the smaller size. Who wouldn't love the ultimate wedge shaped Alitalia liveried Lancia Stratos

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club